Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering how this sort of style is achieved (sorry I have to linked to it)? I was initially asking about a breeder in the breeder section but my question has seemed to turned into a grooming questions so i though best to asking in the correct area.

Also if anyone has pictures of similar styles.

http://www.parispoodles.com/sitebuilder/images/Rundle_hiking-454x336.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have a lot of clients who would call that a "teddy bear", or short rounded face and round feet.

I also have a lot of clients who would call that an ungroomed dog... but those are the snotty ones lol.... to each his own I suppose? I think it's moderatly cute but don't have any photo's of standards in trims like that. I do quite a few toys and mini's in similar styles but with fuller faces.

here is the cloest thing I have to that spoo wise and this dog doesn't have a full face, just a mustache

here is kind of a difficult to see pic of one of the toy's who mommy likes a full face.. still not exactly what you posted, but thats the closest I have photos of at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a lot of clients who would call that a "teddy bear", or short rounded face and round feet.

I also have a lot of clients who would call that an ungroomed dog... but those are the snotty ones lol.... to each his own I suppose? I think it's moderatly cute but don't have any photo's of standards in trims like that. I do quite a few toys and mini's in similar styles but with fuller faces.

here is the cloest thing I have to that spoo wise and this dog doesn't have a full face, just a mustache

here is kind of a difficult to see pic of one of the toy's who mommy likes a full face.. still not exactly what you posted, but thats the closest I have photos of at the moment.
Hi thanks for that, I think they look look so cute like that, I love the texture of the hair of the brown dog in the picture it almost looks like he has product in it! lol maybe some doggy hair wax?? :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Wow that is really cute. My male would be a cutie like that though if my female doesn't stop licking the clippers each time I try to do her face she may be like that as it is a mess from a nick on the tongue twice in 2 weeks she has done it now.
He is really sweet looking I am going to show my husband that pic later.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The texture is kinda of determined by the dog, a good (adult) coat will give you a plush texture that is springy and easy to scissor. You can put things like mouse and such in the hair but usally that reserved for grooming competitions or dog shows. I don't have anything special I put on everyday client's dogs.

I can tell you though that the upkeep on a dog with a full face is more involved than that of one with a shaven face. That get all sorts of crud and bits of food in that beard or moustache, it's a little gross. It's also almost always wet since they stick in it thier water bowl. Sooo if you want a full face you need to be commited to combing it out every day or at least every other day.

Otherwise you end up with this:

This dog's face is completely matted, the dark hair around the lips actualy formed little dreadlocks (cords) and was really really gross....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The texture is kinda of determined by the dog, a good (adult) coat will give you a plush texture that is springy and easy to scissor. You can put things like mouse and such in the hair but usally that reserved for grooming competitions or dog shows. I don't have anything special I put on everyday client's dogs.

I can tell you though that the upkeep on a dog with a full face is more involved than that of one with a shaven face. That get all sorts of crud and bits of food in that beard or moustache, it's a little gross. It's also almost always wet since they stick in it thier water bowl. Sooo if you want a full face you need to be commited to combing it out every day or at least every other day.

Otherwise you end up with this:

This dog's face is completely matted, the dark hair around the lips actualy formed little dreadlocks (cords) and was really really gross....
Hi Thanks for that, thats always something to thing about, i guess the great thing is if it doesn't work we can always trim it all off :)

Edit:Also with the texture of the actual hair would that have alot to do with brushin it out vs not, letting it dry natural and blow drying it etc..

·
Registered
741 Posts
with the look you want to achive the dog would still need to be fluff dryed and then clipped into the shape after a fue days the hair would naturally go curly

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Also with the texture of the actual hair would that have alot to do with brushin it out vs not, letting it dry natural and blow drying it etc..
No, the texture I refered to is really a genetic thing. The way the finished product of the groom looks (curly or straight) would have to do with how the dog is dried after a bath and if it was brushed or not.

You always should blow dry a coat straight before you clip it, if you clip curly hair it wont be even all over. I have some clients who like curls VS fluffy so for them I blow the hair out straight so I can groom it and get a smooth finish and then mist with water and scrunch with my fingers to put the curls back in. Best of both words.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cuddly face

I think the best part of having a poodle is all the fun cuts you can give them...in the end it always grows back! I have to say I am a big fan of the "teddy bear" or "lamb" look which is how we usually keep ours. We get compliments all the time and strangers ask to take pictures with our dog because they're not used to seeing such a large cuddle bug. I have to say the 'clean face' was my least favorite, but I think that depends on the individual dog's muzzle too. :alien2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Is it bad that I immediately thought of Lou ;-) when I saw the clip photo...

·
Registered
75 Posts
What I didn't like when Rufus face got too long was all the comments from people that thought he was a labradoodle.
Gracie's previous people groomed her at home (not very well IMHO) and when we first got her, people would always ask what kind of dog she was. This is what she looked like when we got her:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
She looks like a Terrier with the shaved head and furry face. If that's the look you are going for its cute! ???. But if it's a poodle look you not so much ?.

·
Registered
75 Posts
She looks like a Terrier with the shaved head and furry face. If that's the look you are going for its cute! ???. But if it's a poodle look you not so much ?.
I detested that look, literally got her cut 3 days after we brought her home. This is her yesterday:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Yes that one is much cuter! ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts