Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Toy

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • None: please say what your future Poodle will be

Votes: 6 9.2%

What size Poodle do you own...

6K views 36 replies 35 participants last post by  LexisMom 
#1 ·
I personally have a Standard Poodle and think that i will probably always have one. Not too into the miniatures or toys for some reason.

#4 ·
I said none for now. I will own a mini by the summer I hope! If I were to go bigger, right now I would say I would have a Portuguese Water Dog since that's what my family has owned for the last 20 years. However, my answer might change once I've actually experienced the poodle, you never know. :)

#5 ·
I never actually planned to have a poodle..LOL..I tell everyone that I was tricked in to taking him..but he fit into the family so seamlessly that I think he was certainly meant to be here and I am sure enjoying him..

While I like the standards too I will probably stick with the minis because it is so much easier to travel with small dogs when going to shows and what not..packing for the cavs and the mini isn't to bad but when I have to add in the 95 pound lab there almost isn't room for me and my stuff in the car..LOL

#6 ·
I have a toy. I wasnt really into small dogs at all but I was looking at poodle breeders and found Atticus on the site and I knew I had to have him! It was like it was meant to be, it was the day before my birthday and dad said to pick out a dog I wanted and his picture was the first thing to pop up on the screen. He's the perfect dog for me. Although I want standards when I settle down and have a house and a yard. I'm still living with my parents now and have 4 dogs here, another big dog would be a bit too much. I fostered and trained a standard as a service dog though and LOVED her, she fit so well into our house hold. I want another.

#7 ·
I have a tall standard (not big - as he is only 53 pounds but tall) and while I think I would always love the standard personality, I'd probably try not to get one as tall if I got another one. My guy is able to get into anything and everything due to his height when he stands on his hind legs.
He is a total sweetie though and loves everyone. He is great with everyone too.

#8 ·
We have a miniature. I love the look of standards, but we already have a fairly large dog, and I have done two big dogs before, and it was insanity traveling with two big dogs and two small kids. Toys are cute looking, but I would be afraid my boys could snap a toy like a twig. Our mini is very sturdy and can stick up to the kids if he needs to.

#10 ·
Well... I was going to mark toy, then mini... but I decided to not mark at all. He is at this odd place between mini and toy, where I can measure him one way and he is toy, and the other way he is a mini. Who knows. He is either a giant toy or a teeny tiny mini!

#11 ·
I have 1 standard, and i plan on getting another one soon. I would like a mini someday perhaps. If i were to get a small dog i would either get a toy poodle or a shih tzu, but i have cats that fill the "small cuddly animal" nitch. That is enough for me. A small dog doesnt fit into my life right now.

#13 ·
I have a standard right now, and plan to have more in the future. But I also really like toys, and would love to have a toy poodle at some point. I'm not as fond of minis for some reason. I don't dislike them or anything, they're just as great as the other sizes, but something about standards and toys really strikes my fancy. Either really big, or really little, I guess! And I like my standards TALL please!! :D

#14 ·
As cute as the minis and toys are, I will always have a standard.

My mother grew up with toys, and minis, and then my grandparents got a standard (they upsized as they got older, weird huh?), and then Saffy came along, and my mother says standards are just something special, and that she'd never go to the smaller ones ever again.

#15 ·
IMO you don't know what you're missing by NOT having a mini! My 9 month old silver "big" boy mini (@16.75", 20 lbs) is a bright, clownish, athletic, obedient lump of sugar. In the Spring I hope to see him earn his CGA and plan to go on to do therapy work with him. He's portable enough to take anywhere we go, he's welcome in SO MANY places because he's well-behaved and of moderate size, he gets along great with other dogs and ALL people--young and old. I adore Standards, don't get me wrong. But I just love the easy "take along" size of my dreamboat Chagall. It's also a cake walk to lift him into the laundry sink for bath time!

#19 ·
Pudel sizes . . . .forgot one! We have 2 standards . . .

We have two Standards . . . great dogs. Protective, smart, and get along with almost anyone. The Europeans recognize a fourth size, Klein (medium in German) Poodle! They are the real thing, and have been around a while. They are on the smallish end of the Standard Poodle spectrum with a 'Standard' attitude. Technically, they can be shown here in the states but will compete with the larger standards. I think that one of the poodles in my obedience class is a Klein. Great dogs!

Mark, Jamie and the Poodle Gangsters!:)

#20 ·
I voted none. The size of poodle that I end up with will be dependent in part on where I am living when I am able to get another dog. If it is in an apartment with a weight limit or if I am not settled into a job where I know I will be staying in the area for a while it will probably be a mini. If I am settled into a house or an apartment where I can have a larger dog it will most likely be a standard. Either way I will have both someday :)

#26 ·
I understand that smaller dogs are more portable in ways (like when flying, they dont have to go as cargo but as a carry on). Mister literally goes EVERYWHERE with me....he is perfectly content to fall asleep in the car if im shopping or he loves to come to my friends and play with her beagle. I mean i take him way more places then my pint sized girls...dont know why either. Guess he's just got the temperment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.