Poodle Forum banner

What size of bowl should I use?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Sorry this almost seems like a silly question, but I really don't know what to do and I tried to research this and I still don't have a clear answer:

My question is what size of bowl should I get my future puppy? And when he/she grows into an adult? Same bowl or different. The poodle will be a small standard (under 20" at withers).

I was thinking of a non tip, stainless steel bowl. And my understanding was to get multiple bowls (not only for food and water but cause they will get dirty!)

This particular bowl is offered in pints and quarts.... any insight into which size I should get?

#3 ·
Ooh, those are nice Mfmst. I feed raw outdoors, but I still have a couple of cheapo stainless steel bowls in a cupboard. They're nowhere near as attractive, but they're fine. I've also used the non-tip with several fosters; they're also fine, but I find that I think about their wear-and-tear more.

ETA: And I love water fountains.

#4 ·
Peggy eats off a plate. I'm not sure how exactly this came about, but we discovered she prefers it. It's a small dessert plate.

Her water bowl is stainless steel and mounted inside her crate (which is always left open). We handwash and refill it every evening. It holds 40 oz.

We had a smaller version of the same water bowl when she was a puppy, but it required an additional refill.

#6 ·
Cheap stainless steal can cause nose discoloration. I like ceramic bowls; they make really nice ones to go with any decor.

For a puppy, a bowl the size of a human cereal bowl is fine. It would also be fine for an adult toy or even mini. As long as the bowl doesn’t move when pushed (as to not scare the dog), is easy to wash and can fully contain the dog’s meal then it’s fine. The rest is personal preference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.