Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kibble food should I feed my standard puppy? How many meals per day and when does that decrease? How much do they need? Is there a suggested guide? My last poodles were small and I just left food out for them. Also, if I choose to change what the breeder is feeding, how should I do that? 3/4 old food; 1/4 new food for a few days, then 1/2 and 1/2 for a few days, etc.????????

Thanks so much. This forum has been a blessing!!!!

Kim

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Find a no grain kibble if possible. Read the directions on the bag for a puppy as they eat a good bit more during this time period. Many times if you are on a good quality kibble - they seem to eat less, I know all 4 of my dogs did.

If you are changing from what your breeder fed it should be done slow just as you suggested. :)

Enjoy your new spoo baby!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Olie, thanks!!

I have been reading on a dog food anaylsis site and it seems that Innova is a good adult dog food (6 star), but the Innova puppy food (4 star) is lacking and contains grains. I looked at some other grainless puppy foods, but the concern was that there could be too much protein in them for a puppy. What to do? What to do??? LOL

Kim

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
kimstm, I feed my standard puppy Innova Large Breed puppy, and she LOVES it and is thriving excellently on it. (She did have soft-ish stool for awhile, but all is firming up in that department).

Pay attention to the Calcium and Phosphorus levels of whatever food you choose- you do not want them to be too high because that can make them grow too fast. The high quality Large Breed Puppy formulas usually have that under control.

I have also heard good things about Acana and Orijen.

As far as the high protein content on some puppy foods, I am absolutely NOT an expert, but I will tell you that my vet said she is more concerned with high levels of calcium and phosphorus than she is with high levels of protein.

I would recommend going to a local store that sells high quality dog food and maybe talking with the owner? That is what I did!

Best of luck!! Standard poodle puppies are such sweethearts!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Kim,

I really like dog kibble made by champion foods. They make no grain adult and puppy food called Orijen. It comes in both regular puppy food and large breed puppy food. Here are the links:

Puppy
Puppy Large

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input. I have been reading, what seems like for hours now, and I have come to the conclusion that when it comes to puppy food, I will have to choose higher protein, no grain or lower protein with grain. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground unless I am missing something.

Kim

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Feed the best quality food you can afford.

If grains are at the top of the list of the ingredients, food is usually not the best one can find.

Poodlelover - who is carrying Orijen in the Bay Area ??? I could not find it even in some pet-specialty stores around me :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
258 Posts
i really like the all stages diets vs. a puppy specific food, which you can find in almost any of the good non-grain based, high quality foods. the food analysis site is a great resource!
this was my answer to the protein conundrum

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had to put Lola (now 60 lbs) on a grain free pretty young because of an intolerance/allergy so I did a lot of research. Orijen and Acana were my top picks but weren't sold in my area then, Fromm Surf and Turf was my second and she did well on it. I actually ended up switching her to raw at around 6 months and she is still on that today at 12.5 months.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Feed the best quality food you can afford.

If grains are at the top of the list of the ingredients, food is usually not the best one can find.

Poodlelover - who is carrying Orijen in the Bay Area ??? I could not find it even in some pet-specialty stores around me :eek:hwell:
In San Francisco, there are a few places close to my house. Sunset Pet Supply, Citipets, Jeffrey's Natural Pet Food Company. Since I don't know where you live, here's the list of stores that carry Orijens in California:

California Store Listing

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still at a complete loss as to what to feed my puppy spoo. The orijen seems like a good food, but I am worried that I will be harming her due to the protein count. If I find a lower protein count then the food has grains in it. I am so stressed over this.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i fed my puppy wellness super 5 mix for puppy until she was 9 months old and she did really well on it. it has grains, but she tolerated the grains very well (there is no wheat and no corn or soy in wellness).

i switched to grainless wellness core kibble after that. she also gets a generous tablespoon of yogurt every day, and some type of fresh fruit for added fiber (she loves fruit!).

i make her home cooked meals several times a week too. this isn't necessary, but she just loves it:)

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Don't be stressed!! :) I would not worry too much about the protein. Any of the foods suggested on this thread are very high quality foods that your puppy will thrive on :) You can always give a food a try, and if your puppy has trouble on it, then find a better match.

Honestly, IMO, if you feed a lower protein, high quality food with some grains, it is still better than feeding a poor quality food you might find at the grocery store! Same thing with higher protein, no grains. I really think that your puppy will do well on either.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
don't make it harder then it is.

Don't get strung up on %'s of things. Get ahigh quality food and just try it- if she hs issues then try something different. Switch over slow.

Lots of Great brands out there (innov, orijen, acana) lots of good brands out there (nutro, etc- the ones you find at the big box pet stores... )

and there's the dear god why brnds ou can get at wal mart or the grocery store.

on the whole if vet carries it- it's on the 'dear god why" list. Avoid at ll costs IMO you pay an arm and a leg nd don't get much better quality then Old Roy from Wal Mart

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Another vote for Orijen & Arcana (same company, I think).

I was very happy when my local place started stocking these. Mine thrives on it, and I like knowing exactly what I'm feeding.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I feed raw and Acana fish a few times a week. Acana has a little less protein than Orijen and the calcium /phosphorus ratio on the bag. They love it!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still at a complete loss as to what to feed my puppy spoo. The orijen seems like a good food, but I am worried that I will be harming her due to the protein count. If I find a lower protein count then the food has grains in it. I am so stressed over this.
Don't stress out over feeding your puppy, it isn't a rocket science. :) The only time high protein can be bad for your dog is when it's a bad source of protein or if it's a plant base protein source. As long as it's high quality protien, you have nothing to worry about. You can also feed a high quality dog kibble that has grains and you can also feed just an adult formula, all life stages dog food. Champion dog food, the company that makes Orijens dog food, also make another no grain food called Acana. It doesn't come in puppy formula, but its' protein content is lower. They also make Acana that has grain and comes in puppy formula and junior, large breed puppy and small breed puppy. It's very high quality as well and an excellent option. Here's the link to both Acana Grain Free and Acana with grain.

Champion Petfoods | ACANA | Our Products

1 - 20 of 31 Posts