Poodle Forum banner

What should I ask?

6K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  Cdnjennga 
#1 ·
So in the ongoing search for a poodle, I have applied for a rescue poodle through Petfinder and got through to the first stage which consists of a 30 to 40 minute telephone interview. During that time I of course get to be grilled by the rescue people, but I also get to ask questions about the dog etc. If I get through that, they call my 4 references (!), then do a home check, then I have to get approved by a committee, then if all that goes well I actually get to meet the dog. :)

Here's the dog I applied for:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14779863

Can anyone think of anything I should specifically be asking about? I've never gone through this process before and am only coming up with a few questions.

- I want to ask about the children thing (it says unknown for how she is around children, so I want to know more about that - I don't have any but there is a possibility that I might want to have them/ friends will have them, so I can't have a dog with big issues)
- I want to know how her vet check went.
- I'd like to see a full body shot if possible just to make sure her structure isn't horrific. I realize a puppy mill dog won't be the best example of a poodle, but I'd be hesitant to take on a dog with a big roach back or other structural issues that might cause problems down the line.

And that's kind of all I can think of right now. Idea?

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm totally willing to wait, but my preference has always been to rescue, and I have been looking for a rescue dog for 9 months! I decided to start looking into breeders about 3 months ago when it became obvious that rescue dogs that fit my criteria are in short supply. I'm definitely not giving up on the idea of a puppy, but my idea was always that I would keep an eye out for rescues as well up to the point where I had committed to a puppy. So this week I'll go through the rescue process as well as meeting the breeder that I'm interested in. In the end, I'll go the route that I feel most comfortable with. This may or may not be the dog for me, but I'm willing to take a chance just in case she is. :)

I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes!

#4 · (Edited)
If you are adopting a puppy mill dog - there is a higher possibility that you might have issues down the line.
Most of these dogs have severe lung issues due to the ammonia they’ve lived in all of their lives and a lot develop tumors etc. at an early age. A lot of them do have deformities due the crates or battery cages they lived in all their lives.
Here is a little piece one of the Humane Society workers wrote about caring for puppy mill dogs.
http://www.hsop.org/rehab-puppymill.htm

It does sound like her foster did an incredible job at rehabilitating her if she is housebroken.
It really is a special kind of person who adopts puppy mill dogs! Good luck

#5 ·
Thanks for your POV Ponki. :) I've done a lot of reading on puppy mill survivors and know how much I'm willing to take on, but it's good to be reminded of the issues that can come up. Luckily I don't have to commit to anything until after I actually meet the dog, so I want to make sure I gather all the information I can and make sure I'm entering into this with open eyes. This rescue specializes in puppy mill dogs and has a lot of experience in the area, so I will trust that they will be forthcoming and truthful with me!

#7 ·
I grilled the heck out of our rescue people, poor things:
Where is she from and why was she given up? She might not be a mill pup. :)
Does she have any known health problems?
Is she potty trained?
How are her teeth?
When was she spayed? (If she is spayed yet).
Does she bark a lot?
Is she crate trained?
What is she eating and what is her appetite like?
Does she play with toys?
What was her behavior like when groomed (if she's been groomed).
Is she being fostered?
Can you speak to the foster owner?
What is she like with other dogs and kids?
Do they offer a vet check before commiting?

#9 ·
Yay for rescue dogs!

I have rescued many mill dogs and the majority have gone to be wonderful companions!

It sounds like this little girl is very well adjusted! But I would ask the following questions:

Has she had any crate training?
How are her teeth? (being a Mill dog they tend to have some dental issues but being only 4 years old she may not but it never hurts to ask!)
Does she play with toys?
How is her eyesight? (Form the photo there is a slight blue glare, could be the flash)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

#14 ·
So I had my phone interview, but it was really nothing more than a set of standard questions that (IMO) could have been covered by the initial application. And the woman I was talking to really knew nothing about the dog I had applied for. So next up she checks my references, then if I get approved for that the foster mom will come for a home visit. So that's when I'll get to use the long list of questions I have ready! There's a chance the foster mom might bring the dog to the home visit, which would be perfect.

Anyway, we'll see. It feels backwards to go through so many steps only to possibly meet a dog that I have no interest in, but I guess they don't want to stress the dog out by meeting lots of people who then would not get approved for adoption.

#15 ·
Wow, what a process.
They're all different I guess.

For Flip we had to fill out an application, talk to someone on the phone, and then set up a home visit...which 'could take up to two hours'. Fortunately the girl who came for the home visit was actually one of patient's owners. So it was fast and easy. Then she told me Flip was two hours away...hehe. THEN the foster owner called and we talked...and I asked the big list of questions. We made the appoinment to drive two hours and meet him. After that we were sure we were getting him, but wanted to wait a few days and get set up first, so we drove another 4 hours that weekend. LOL
Adoption is a looooong ordeal sometimes, but worth it! :)

I hope yours goes smoothly.

#16 ·
So things are moving fairly quickly on the possible adoption front. The lady I spoke to has checked 3 of my 4 references (2 friends and a vet). My 4th reference is my mom, haha, she better give me a good one! My friend said one of the questions was "if you were a dog, would you want to be adopted by Cdnjennga?" :)

Anyway, the suspense of this is killing me, I just want to meet the dog already to see if she's the one or not! I keep looking at the picture of her one eye trying to guess what she looks like overall. But I just have to keep reminding myself to be patient (which is not my strong point.) Ommmm...

#19 ·
After silence since I last posted, I had an email from the rescue organization today saying I would be contacted shortly about a home visit... So I guess I'm still moving forward with the process! The email I received didn't really share much info, so I have no idea if I'm even in the running for the dog I applied for or just to be approved by the rescue group. Approval is good for 6 months, so even if this poodle's not the one at least I wouldn't have to go through all this again if another dog comes up that I'm interested in. I'm holding off on visiting the potential breeder I'm interested in otherwise till I know what's going on here. Anyway, I'll let you all know more when I know more. :)

#24 ·
So... Update! The good news is I have my home visit on Sunday. The bad news is that the dog I had originally applied for is already gone. I have however decided to complete the review process since I'm so close to the end. Then if another dog comes up that suits me in the next few months then I'm first in line. :)

In the meantime, I'm hoping to visit my possible breeder in the next couple of weeks. The hunt continues!!!

#26 ·
I totally agree! Over the last few days it became obvious that the timing of this rescue wasn't perfect. My grandfather has so generously offered to fly me over to England for a visit as a birthday present in November, and getting a rescue dog right before that trip wouldn't really have worked. I can't wait to see my grandpa, he's 95, lives on his own in an apartment with minimal help and does better than some people 20 years younger than him. :) I lived in England for over 3 years so I have a lot of visiting to do during the 9 days I'm there! Can't wait!

#28 ·
Yea for you and attempting to rescue. You take chances when you buy a dog from anyone. But to rescue is truly a demonstration of love and dedication. It sounds like you have asked a lot of great questions. GO FOR IT.

I for one value the owners that ask me lots of questions about me AND my puppies when they call. I do not breed often...and highly recommend saving a pet whenever possible. Sure, there are risks, but even the most conscientous breeders will tell you that health issues can happen even with the most thorough testing.

Now, do I support supporting puppy mill breeding via pet stores and "markets?" no. There is a difference.

Good luck...and keep us posted.

#29 ·
So I had the home visit on Sunday evening. It was pretty informal (although I cleaned like a mad woman before) and just consisted of the foster mom asking me questions about where I would walk the dog etc. She also brought her dogs with her to see how they liked me. It all went pretty well and I'm sure I will be approved. One of the things (which I knew would be questioned) is the fact that my mom's girl is unspayed. I explained that my mom has a very small breeding program, that our girl is a champion working dog, blah, blah, blah but of course some rescue people feel that ANY breeding program is wrong. So we'll see if that stops me from being approved - it would be ridiculous if it did.

I don't think this particular rescue is going to have many dogs come up that are suitable for me anyway and everything is now on hold until I get back from England, so we'll see what happens at the end of November/ December. :)

#31 ·
I received word the other day that I am an officially approved adopter. Not sure if this rescue will have anything for me or not, and everything's on hold now till the end of the month, but it's nice to know this route is open to me if I choose to pursue it. :) Tomorrow's the day I meet my potential breeder and her dogs, can't wait!

#33 ·
Well, maybe adopting! The breeder I'm interested in won't be breeding until end of December, which means pups end of February/ early March. So up until that point I'm looking for a rescue dog. If the right one doesn't come up then I'll be going to the breeder. Either way, I should have a dog by May (I hope, I hope, I hope!)

I would love to rescue, but I'm also very conscious that I have a very specific dog in mind... So we'll see. I plan to have this dog for a long time, so it has to be the right one for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.