Poodle Forum banner

What should I ask?

4973 Views 50 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Cdnjennga
So in the ongoing search for a poodle, I have applied for a rescue poodle through Petfinder and got through to the first stage which consists of a 30 to 40 minute telephone interview. During that time I of course get to be grilled by the rescue people, but I also get to ask questions about the dog etc. If I get through that, they call my 4 references (!), then do a home check, then I have to get approved by a committee, then if all that goes well I actually get to meet the dog. :)

Here's the dog I applied for:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14779863

Can anyone think of anything I should specifically be asking about? I've never gone through this process before and am only coming up with a few questions.

- I want to ask about the children thing (it says unknown for how she is around children, so I want to know more about that - I don't have any but there is a possibility that I might want to have them/ friends will have them, so I can't have a dog with big issues)
- I want to know how her vet check went.
- I'd like to see a full body shot if possible just to make sure her structure isn't horrific. I realize a puppy mill dog won't be the best example of a poodle, but I'd be hesitant to take on a dog with a big roach back or other structural issues that might cause problems down the line.

And that's kind of all I can think of right now. Idea?
1 - 4 of 51 Posts
Cdnjennga you don't want to wait for your puppy?
I'm totally willing to wait, but my preference has always been to rescue, and I have been looking for a rescue dog for 9 months! I decided to start looking into breeders about 3 months ago when it became obvious that rescue dogs that fit my criteria are in short supply. I'm definitely not giving up on the idea of a puppy, but my idea was always that I would keep an eye out for rescues as well up to the point where I had committed to a puppy. So this week I'll go through the rescue process as well as meeting the breeder that I'm interested in. In the end, I'll go the route that I feel most comfortable with. This may or may not be the dog for me, but I'm willing to take a chance just in case she is. :)

I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes!
That sounds very good. I wish you best of luck with what ever you decide :)
After silence since I last posted, I had an email from the rescue organization today saying I would be contacted shortly about a home visit... So I guess I'm still moving forward with the process! The email I received didn't really share much info, so I have no idea if I'm even in the running for the dog I applied for or just to be approved by the rescue group. Approval is good for 6 months, so even if this poodle's not the one at least I wouldn't have to go through all this again if another dog comes up that I'm interested in. I'm holding off on visiting the potential breeder I'm interested in otherwise till I know what's going on here. Anyway, I'll let you all know more when I know more. :)
Good luck in whatever you decide :fingers-crossed:
Congratulation on you trip to Europe. Enjoy the visit to your grandpa. God bless him at 95, wow, that is amazing for Europe. Your poodle will show up when it's his time :)
1 - 4 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.