Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have small kids and one in particular (the just turned 4 year old) is still learning his bathroom skills. So I use "go potty", "go poop", "go to the bathroom" and "go pee" with him often. Don't want to use those with the dog since, well, then the dog would go when I mean for the kid to go and things could get messy LOL.

But I can't think of anything else that will feel natural and instinctive to say. So looking for ideas, since I have to start working on my guy to learn to potty while on leash. So far, he'll go if free roaming, but no leashed.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I don't think your dog would confuse you talking to your child. They usually catch on to these things pretty quickly. However, if you want something completely different: "do your business" is what I have heard some folks use. I am partial to "go potty" myself :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've got to say I've done the young kid and puppy thing (my youngest kid has just turned 6 and my 2 spoos will be 2 in Sept) I tend to use the same words for both. You know the go to the bathroom go potty thing. They seem to keep it all straight. I've heard some people say go down the garden or you could ask them to go and releave themselves.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I agree. Unless your outside telling you kid to pee the dog should keep it straight

Kiah I tell to pee pee. Jackson n bodi are go potty

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Potty is what we use:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use the phrase "go potty" the most, but I also use "hurry up" and she's smart enough to know that they both mean the same thing so I doubt you'll have any confusion problems lol.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I use "hurry up" and "tinkle". He pretty much pees on command when I say them together. "Hurry up" by itself means poop.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I use 'go potty' but precede it with the dogs name. When I was teaching Taffy to go on command, I always said to her 'Taffy, go potty!' It didn't take long for her to get what I was telling her.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I use "go potty" and they understand it, a good short, two syllable word that has a good firm sound to it (as opposed to a soft sounding word) which dogs pick up on easier. If they dawdle, sniffing the ground in one spot and not moving (mainly when out on leash in public) I say "hurry up" in a excited way to get their attention to move around and find a spot and repeat "go potty". Always remember that when training your dog to understand a command, try to use a one or two word minimum, keep the word to a one or two syllable words and the stronger sounding words are better understood than softer ones. Go Potty is a strong sound.... Pee is a sorta strong sound because of the "P" sound.... to me Wet is a bit of a softer sound. Soft sounding words are ok and are learned by the dog, I am not saying they shouldn't be used...lol.... but I have found over the years of training dogs that the "stronger" sounding words are learned much quicker.

I would not worry about your dog confusing your speaking to your children. NOW, will the child misunderstand when you are telling the dog to do so! LOL JUST KIDDING!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
sorry if this is a double post, first one disappeared

I use "go potty" for tinkle and "go finish" for poo

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I use "hurry up" and if Chagall just does half his "business" (as in pees but doesn't poop when I know he needs to), I say "hurry up more," and bless his little soul, he does!!! I've used "hurry up" with all my dogs over the last quarter century, mostly because when I'm out in public I don't want to say "potty" where I might be overheard by "delicate" ears! lol

·
Registered
646 Posts
Up untill Oct we had 3 acres and I didn't want to look all over for poop I made a run of pee gravel and we would say go to the stones
Now that I am back in the city and my entire yard could fit in the old run we made a 4x4 or so square of pee gravel at back corner and they both still know the term IN THE STONES.
Works here and easy clean up in the yard as it is all localized in one spot though I clean it up daily

1 - 20 of 26 Posts