Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so when I start to show again... probably at least three years out from now. What would be a good choice in breeds, from your expereinces in the show ring? What would be a "fun" breed to show and still be able to work in obedience and agility? This is more just for me to ponder than to really pick a breed now.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea how much they are owner handled versus professional handled in the breed ring?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
God I have gone round and round over this one because I too would like an easy to groom dog to show and do performance with.

When you really start looking, it is hard to find a dog as stylish and as trainable as a Poodle.

I also think that another issue to think about is how marketable your chosen breed is. We are blessed in Poodles to have typically really good owners looking to buy dogs. Not so true in other breeds. I talked to a long time Papillion breeder who ventured into Australian Cattle Dogs (she has horses). It took her FOREVER to find good families to buy her dogs. Most folks wanted a dog that they could let run on the farm and tie up at night in the barn. :scared:

Breeds I have considered (but have rejected for one reason or another):

Aussies
Border Collies
Papillions
Australian Terriers
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
German Pinchers
Beaucerons
Dobies
German Wirehair
German Short Hair
Malinois

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'd say a short coated breed maybe a Boston? I seriously wanted to show a Boston before I decided on a Spoo. Maybe like a greyhound, or whippet?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I would say maybe a sporting breed?

A lot of them are short haired and willing to please. I watched German short hair pointers in the ring. It looked like friendly owners where in the ring.

I also watch this Vizsla in the obedience class she is very willing to please her owner.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
If I remember correctly the German short haired pointer is one of the more popular dogs with jr. handlers. I think they are a popular breed for owner handlers.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I would say maybe a sporting breed?

A lot of them are short haired and willing to please. I watched German short hair pointers in the ring. It looked like friendly owners where in the ring.

I also watch this Vizsla in the obedience class she is very willing to please her owner.
I had so much fun with the Setter I know I know ! The poodles are brutal to Clancy He gets humped a hundred times a day but he just waggles his tail .. I love the setters. I had so much fun showing them and they are so beautiful .. Kind of a wash and wear breed if you take care of the coat . So many nice people in this breed and they are not so hugely popular that there a bunch of handlers in the ring ..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Maybe think about a Belgian Tervuren. Beautiful, inteligent, loyal and driven to work. I still miss my Terv.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I've never shown a dog in my life, but since you mentioned wanted a Spoo in the future, Dobermans automatically came to mind. I would think their coats are super easy to maintain and many members here have said they are basically Spoo w/o the hair. My second choice to a Spoo was the Giant Schnauzer, but the prey drive turned me off. (I can't say I would ever be interested in showing a GS either b/c hand stripping sounds like a PITA.)

For those that have experience w/ both Dobies and Spoos, which would you say is healthier? It seems like I've heard about a lot of health issues and short lifespans w/ Dobies.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
For those that have experience w/ both Dobies and Spoos, which would you say is healthier? It seems like I've heard about a lot of health issues and short lifespans w/ Dobies.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Dobies! However, the show quality dogs have VWB up the wazoo and big problems with hearts. I also think that the ear cropping has gotten so extreme that it puts a puppy through Hell to try and get that ultra-long, cropped ear.

This is also a difficult breed for an owner handler. Lots of pro handlers.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
This is also a difficult breed for an owner handler. Lots of pro handlers.
I agree with that on Dobies, loads of pros.

I would reject whippets and a lot of sighhounds because you said you want to have fun doing obedience and agility, these dogs are CERTAINLY capable but more of a challenge. It depends on what your definition of fun is. I've seen whippets do really well and I've seen them give you the finger in the ring too. I've been on the recieving end of a doggie finger or two myself including one from a whippet.
Personaly I couldn't handle an intense entertain me all the time type personality that you get with most boarder collies. I would say shelties... but thats a lot of hair and a lot of handlers I think(haven't paid attention to shelties in years) Terriers can be fun but you need to handstrip most of them and they can also be challenging to do obedience with.
I don't care to do obedience any longer with smaller breed dogs based on some past experiences that could have very easily resulted in severe injury, so I limit my activities with the tibbies to Rally and Agility type things to avoid the long sits and downs next to the possibly agressive *insert larger breed here* dog. The tibbies are fun to show though minus the shedding and them being smaller which is a nervous tick of mine not theirs. Depends on the dog and the breeder how easy and fun they are to train, mine are great with obedience, some other... not so much lol.

I like the Belgian Tervuren we have one in this area who competes in Rally with an older gentleman, I believe it is an older dog as well. Neither is super fast or accurate but they obvioulsy are enjoying the activity :) I enjoy watching them.

I only know a limited amount about the breed but what about a toller, or tollie if you prefer. We considered that breed a couple years ago but rumors of a temperment issue stopped us. I really think they are lovely though and the ones I've met thus far have been very nice.

I know owners handlers that show Bichons too... if you're up for a more poodle type coat and some scissoring? I handle a couple of bichons from time to time, really like them. Not super fond of the owners but whatever it's a paycheck and the dogs are nice and very well cared for :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
oh another thought, again a bit of grooming involved here, but the Soft caoted wheaten I showed was pretty fun. The people involved in the breed were SUPER NICE. I was surprised. They didn't realized I didn't own the dog, I was the handler and all came up and introducd themselves and wanted to know about the new puppy since they had seen him listed in the catolog. They were very friendly every show I took him to :)
He was smart too, smarter than his owner in fact which made him a tad on the difficult side to handle. He never got enough attention, he was a show dog and thus a status symbol of shorts for this doctor who owned him.
I don't care to take wheaten clients in my grooming shop because most of the pet ones around here come from this crummy pet store and are MEAN. I've only ever groomed two nice ones, both from rep. breeders. I know a breeder here in the area and hers are nice as well. She took one of my training classes with one of them.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Yea, I was gonna say a Dobermann.
We have just gotten our Dobermann puppy, now 5 months, and I'm venturing into the big and scary show world with him.
They are a very elegant dog, and yes, spoos have been described as Dobes in drag lol
They are a lot of hard work, and will challenge you given the opportunity, but I believe once you've gotten past that stage with lots of perseverance, they are truly worth it.
They have minimal coat care, the breeder of ours just said to Spray him with diluted baby oil, and rub him off with a warm towel scented with rosemary, et voila!
They also really thrive on obedience and working in general, but I do know two dobermanns that just decide that they don't want work at shows, they are the most obedient dogs otherwise, but when they don't want to do it that's it.
Our breeder also said that they get bored, so when training you have to make it more worth their while, rather than repeating, click, treat, click, treat etc.

But as far as anything otherwise goes, they are an awesome dog to have.
Our one is just so affectionate, he hates being outside in the cold, and will come in and hide his head behind your back and cuddle into you.

So, as far as the perfect agility/obedience/working/show/pet goes,
I think they're a great all rounder, as they are just so sweet, good with families, can be wary of strangers but once they know them are good (which is why they are good guard dogs), great working dogs, very very elegant, beautiful to look at, and have absolutely minimal coat care!

But be warned, if you do not commit the necessary time into training it, your life will be overturned :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I just read this article on showing dobbies and I thought OMG I hope that this doesn't apply to showing all breeds because I'll never make it and it will be miserable not fun.http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/ownerhandler.htm

What about a collie? There are the smooth coated collies. Although they do shed a lot they don't have to be brushed on a daily basis and collies are very obedient. Are there a lot of pros that show in the herding group?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I just read this article on showing dobbies and I thought OMG I hope that this doesn't apply to showing all breeds because I'll never make it and it will be miserable not fun.http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/ownerhandler.htm
That was a great article! I thought it was very encouraging to the owner handler. It drives home how much work goes into having a competitive show dog but it also points out that an owner can finish her own dogs in a breed where a lot of pros handle.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Do you think that in the article it applies to all breeds or just to the doberman?
Well Dobies are a competitive breed with lots of pro handlers, but.... this does apply to other breeds as well.

Showing dogs in conformation is much, much more that just totting a dog around the ring. It is a sport and it has all of it's own nuances. You wouldn't expect to be a competitive tennis player just because you can hit a ball with a racket, would you?

Points I though were important......

Owners need to choose great prospects from the beginning. Most people make the newbie mistake of buying something and then realize later that they really didn't know the breed/sport very well. I was lucky because I was coming from showing horses so I already knew that individual animal sports had certain requirements for show success (i.e a horse might be a nice trail horse, but it was NEVER going to make it as a competitive dressage horse).

Owners need to learn the sport and train/condition their dogs. There is a lot more to showing than just running around the ring.

Owners need to be smart about who they show to. Keep a journal with judges names and notes. If a judges only looks at handlers (and you are sure that you have a well presented dog) then don't show to that judge again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's My thoughts so far...

Aussies - Possibly, I love them
Border Collies - Possibly, I really love them
Papillions Not sure, I know they are really smart, but I tend to lean towards large dogs
Australian Terriers - Cute but I really don't know much about them
Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - Not sure they are cute but are they good in obedience/agility?
German Pinchers - Don't know anything about them
Beaucerons - No, proobably not
Dobies -I always think I would love a dobie but have never spent much time around them. My hubby has the "mean dog" stigma attached to this breed
German Wirehair - No
German Short Hair
Malinois - Probably not, If I ever have a Belgian again, it will be another Belgian Sheepdog (Black) - I've finished two myself!

German Shorthaired Pointer - I don't think I could own one. My BIL has two and they are off the wall crazy with energy - AND HE WON'T TRAIN THEM!! UGG

1 - 20 of 38 Posts