Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i was at work yesterday and a nice ladyw ith a black Spoo asked me why i got my Spoo. I had to think for a split second and then told her about working at grooming shops and the Spoos seemed to be the onyl well behaved dogs. They knew they would be there for hours so they stood allr egal on the table and almost seemed to enjoy the whole process (i was a bather back then).
I then went on to tell her that i like to have a dog that wants to please its owner, a spoo is a hunting dog and strives to please its master. I love that! Me and terriers dont mix, heck even me and hounds dont ha ha. I just prefer the intelligence and the beauty of a Spoo to any other dog breed.

So tell me why you chose the poodle?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
We made a list and researched. (well, enough to know what we were getting onto)

This list consisted of what we wanted from a dog, size temperaments and shedding etc. After looking into poodles we were amazed at what we learned. I started talking to breeders and then my BF ran out and got Olie pretty quickly. He could not wait.......... once we sat down and agreed to the dog we wanted.

Now we have Suri found with a good breeder- and we love them both dearly. Suri is the ideal dog, and Olie is a growing pup!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
We have allergies at our house, so our first consideration was a pet that we could all be around. The second consideration was intelligence, and a dog that is a family pet. We had considered (terrible, I know) a Labradoodle, but then we met a few and were really turned off by the temperament. So, then we started looking into Wheaton Terriers and Poodles. The Wheatons we met promptly knocked my kids down. The Poodles were much more reserved at first meeting, and then warmed up. Then, the discussion of size started. We decided on a mini, because we both felt like Toys felt fragile, and might not be the best companion for two exuberant boys. We already have had two large dogs in the past, and moving two large dogs is hard, so we decided on the mini. He is perfect. I can't believe it took us so long to discover poodles!

·
Registered
114 Posts
1) very intelligent
2) very intelligent
3) no shedding
4) family oriented
5) great with kids
6) standards are a nice size
7) travel well

·
Registered
75 Posts
My bf was a previous poodle owner. He really has a low tolerance for stupidity which is probably one of the reasons why he loves poodles. Also he is very thoughtful and loves that the poodle will follow you around. I used to think of myself as a cat person because I have had bad experiences with dogs but he has turned me as I learned more and more about poodles. Ivan is such a wonderful and smart puppy.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I wanted a large non-shedder...I was looking at picture books and reading about airdales, giant schnauzers and I saw this picture of this curly happy black puppy and underneath it said POODLE! I still remember that picture. That's what did it for me initially.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I never cared for them for a long time, but one day I just looked at them differently... took them "seriously" I guess, and didn't see them as some froo-froo dog.
The more I learned about them the more I loved them. Easy-going, happy-go-lucky personality, extremely intelligent, clownish but controlled, regal, and an awesome family pet. I began to fall in love with the grooming aspect as well. Brushing and pampering was something I was actually really looking for in a dog. If I didn't get a dog with hair that could be styled I would have gotten a dog with long, luxurious double coat. I was confident I wasn't getting a dog that would turn out to be "too much" for me and a smart one that I could explore training methods and techniques with. And not to mention... oh wow, poodles are just CUTE! :)

ETA: standards are also the perfect size in our small condo with no yard, and the fact that they don't shed adds to this a lot. My mom and I both love poodles, never thought we'd get one. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I got a poodle quite unintentionally as a gift from a neighbor. It was the best gift anyone has ever given me. I can't really see myself with any other breed of dog. Does that sound weird? Poodles and I just gel.

1) very intelligent
2) very intelligent
3) no shedding
4) family oriented
5) great with kids
6) standards are a nice size
7) travel well
You forgot 8) very intelligent

;)

·
Registered
125 Posts
We had 2 (free mutt) poodle mixes as a kid, & they were 9) very intelligent. :)

My aunt had a mini, & then a friend down the street had a black spoo bitch (well, I liked her dog much more than her, lol). I have loved them since. What regal dogs.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Allergies and size initially. I knew a PWD wouldn't fit my life right now, and also might not fit in under my condo's pet size regulations. So I started doing lots of research on low shed smaller size breeds and created a shortlist.

It got down to Havanese and Poodles (Miniature or Toy). I initially thought I had decided on the Havanese, then we went to this Havanese picnic thrown by a bunch of local breeders and I just wasn't feeling it. I don't really know why! So I decided to meet a few more poodles, and decided they were the one for me. I guess I'll find out if I was right starting on Saturday!

I can't honestly say I have always wanted a poodle, or ever even thought I would have a poodle. But over the last year I have come to like them a lot (obviously) and am very excited to bring one home!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got a poodle quite unintentionally as a gift from a neighbor. It was the best gift anyone has ever given me. I can't really see myself with any other breed of dog. Does that sound weird? Poodles and I just gel.

You forgot 8) very intelligent

;)
That is funny that you said that. My wife mentioned that I made a mistake and said it twice. I was going end my post by saying, "did I mention that they are very intelligent". :) Decided maybe that was a little too much, but you did it for me. LOL What can I say its the truth, they are so intelligent that they will pick up your bad habits, so watch out. :doh:

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Well, i wanted a dog but it had to be one that the family could live with. I dont have allergies, but my family does. I looked at alot of nonshedding breeds. I knew alot of them were too much for my family to handle (like the giant schnauzer). I never ever even considered standard poodles before then. I started researching and reading about them. Like Olie i found out a ton about them that i never knew, but that i liked. They just seemed to fit the bill perfectly. They were everything i was wanting in a dog and more. I adore the breed now and will never be without a poodle.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I wanted a med/large, athletic, intelligent and beautiful dog. I wanted a dog that had the energy and sturdiness to play w/ my big guy, keep up w/ walking/jogging/hiking, look beautiful, be a good housedog, not be affected by BSL or cause insurance issues (yet) and be very trainable. I also like the versatility of the Poodles coat.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
1- i love the look of them
2- i hvaen't met one i don't like yet
3- i love their quiet elegance- but their willingness to zoom around

I do aussies- to me poodles are so similar intelligent- need good handlers because well they hate being smarter then their owners. And i like that they are just less intense then my aussies and less dominent (on the whole) i like the lack of shedding too- when we're blowing aussie coats out (OMg this week apparently) it's nice to have 1-2 dogs in the house NOT adding to it.
I LOVE the grooming and brushing of them. I did not anticipate that until i had bernie move in with us for those two months- i'd rather brush a spoo over an aussie any day

·
Registered
752 Posts
I wanted a big dog that didn't shed, one that was a good watchdog, yet friendly with strangers and other dogs. I always thought poodles were fru fru dogs, but then I met a standard and was impressed by the intelligence and intuitiveness I saw there. I decided I was up in the night, and this was the breed for me. Funny thing, now I love doing the grooming part of things, and I've decided they're anything but fru fru. I'm addicted to this breed. I'll never be up a creek without a poodle again.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have always wanted one since I was little and saw the movie Look who's talking now they had a stunning white spoo called Daphne.
Photos from Look Who's Talking Now

After that I knew I wanted one :)

But since I live in Iceland and it's not like there where litters every year I got a cavalier instead, also because my mom was very afraid of dogs and a small dog was all she could manage at the moment.

Then I met my hubby in 2005 he had a yellow lab puppy. When he died only 10 months old of a heat failure. We went looking for a new dog.

I wanted something that did not shed and he wanted something big.
I was first set on a Bichon and we went to visit one but thought they where to small also did not like the beard they have.

So we decided to search for a poodle litter. We where lucky the first Spoo litter in 5 years was on its way and we got one from that litter.
We thought she was so amazing that we wanted another one and another :p

So now 3 years later we have 3 and hopefully more to come.

I am always waiting for my white one :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have been drawn to them since I was a kid, but I honestly thought the were a rare breed (where I grew up, most people have mutts, shepherds and "huntin' dogs" lol)

I married into poodles. Richard had standards when we met. I always thought I would have a large shorthaired breed like a boxer or something, but really as much as I love my other dogs, I just plain like the flexibility of a poodle. They can be guarding one minute and doing therapy the next. They are not as nutty as some of the other sporting breeds I have worked with, and the low allergen thing is great since I am allergic to everything. I do have a slight reaction to poodles, but not nearly as bad as with smooth coated breeds

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i grew up w/ a mini poodle who was our family pet for 12 years. then, i fell in love w/ my groomers mini poo puppies, but i wanted a larger dog since i have my cairns. i always would leave my set up at the markets i vend my soaps at to pet customers spoos. lol. i thought they to be the prettiest dogs!

when my son who travels and lives out of a backpack, blew into town w/ his labx puppy i KNEW i wanted a bigger dog. Actually, I wanted that puppy. i loved her i loved her i loved her.

he said no. that's his dog and he loved her too. so then i told my husband i wanted another dog and what i want i get. heh.

so we looked online at best dogs for our lifestyle and to compliment our fur family and human family dynamics and standard poodles just kept coming up. my history w/ my mini poo growing up and wanting a bigger dog and the fact that i kept assaulting people at markets i vend at to pet their spoo made me realize that was the breed for me. so i said, that's what i'm getting.

so we got the poof and the next week my son puts his backpack on and said, i think eva would be safer living w/ you rather than traveling the country with me.

so i have 4 dogs now and my spoo pup and my lab x grandpup are bffs!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I actually didn't plan or want one..mainly because of grooming but also didn't need a 4th dog..LOL..but was going to help my friend train one of her pups from the ground up for obedience and agility..she had dones some obedience and agility with her other dogs but always started them after they got their championships..so he started spending some time with me for training and bonding..started out with weekends with me ..then his classes were during the week so he started spending some of the week with me..til he was pretty much with me all the time..LOL..which I now know was her plan all along although she still planned on showing him for his championship..LOL..turns out he had an undescended testicle so he got neutered and is all mine..and after having him I would consider another down the road

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wanted a dog that was extremely intelligent and trainable to work as a service dog. Also personable and loyal. Poodles fit the bill perfectly!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts