Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He was supposed to be AKC Standard Poodle but breeder had no papers or wouldn’t give me parents names. Saw parents though

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
Do you know for sure that the 1/8th is another pure breed and not a mix? Did the DNA test tell you and you're just asking us to guess for fun?

Because if not, and you're genuinely looking for an answer, some testing companies have larger databases than others and can give more specific results. I used Wisdom Panel for Gracie and was basically told she was a quarter mystery. I wish I'd splurged on Embark.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Peggy's right. At 7/8 poodle his appearance will be all poodle, or at least as poodley as any backyard bred poodle. So any speculation would just be on what seems logical. I would say it's more likely he's part golden or lab, but without DNA evidence it's impossible to tell. I do think embark would be able to identify the 1/8 if it's a pure breed.

Regardless, he's a very cute guy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! They were not able to identify the other 1/8. We did Wisdom as well....I just wanted peoples opinions on what they thought he can be. He’s a good boy :)

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I looked this info up a few months ago to find out how the results are derived:

Regarding breed identification
Much depends on the testing entity's sample database:

"While some problems can result in merely underestimating the percentage of mutt’s ancestry that derives from a specific breed, other problems can prevent the correct breed from being identified at all. The most substantial of these problems is the absence of true ancestral breed from the reference dataset (Figure 9).

Because breed ancestry is inferred by comparing chunks of mutt DNA to purebred dogs of known breeds, if a breed is absent from the reference dataset, that breed simply cannot be detected, even if it contributed a very large fraction of a mutt’s DNA. This issue will ultimately be solved only through inclusion of reference genomes from recognized breeds;

in the meantime, if you are interested in knowing whether your dog has ancestry from a specific rare breed, it is important to make sure your breed ancestry company of choice is able to check for that breed. For those who decide to proceed with ancestry inference even though the breed of interest is known to be absent from the reference set, it is important to keep in mind that the absence of that breed from the list of inferred ancestors provides no information as to whether the mutt truly lacks that particular ancestry.

The mutations selected for genotyping also determine which breed ancestries can be accurately identified in a mixed-breed dog.

Genotyping arrays tend to include more mutations present in common breeds. This means that chunks of chromosomes from poodles and German shepherds may be especially easy to identify because many of the mutations common in these breeds are assayed on genotyping arrays.

While many mutations could help identify chunks of DNA from rare breeds such as New Guinea singing dogs or Skye terriers, some of these mutations may not be represented on widely-used genotyping arrays, which could make these breeds harder to identify. This problem will eventually be solved by creating breed reference datasets with sequence data, which would allow for the interpretation of many more mutations and would not be biased toward detection of ancestry from specific breeds.

A mutt’s relationship to its purebred ancestors also affects the reliability of breed determination. In particular,

it is easier to identify the breed ancestry of DNA from a purebred ancestor who is a close relative (such as a parent) because mutations from recent ancestors will reside in longer chunks of DNA with more informative mutations. For example, while the first mutation observed on a mutt’s chromosome may be common in both Labradors and Golden Retrievers, perhaps the first, second, and third mutations observed are only seen together in Golden Retrievers.
DNA contributed by ancestors from many generations back will exist as only short chromosome chunks, with fewer mutations to help identify their contribution to the mutt’s ancestry, making inference more difficult.

This issue can be mitigated by using data from sequencing instead of genotyping, allowing for all mutations to be analyzed. However, DNA inherited from many generations back can be in chromosome chunks so short that it will not contain chromosome chunks characteristic of a specific breed, such that the breed’s contributions to a mutt’s ancestry cannot be detected even with whole-genome data (Li et al., 2014)."

quoted from:

How Accurate Are Dog DNA Tests? Insights & Challenges | The IAABC Journal

A level of identification is possible, and will become more accurate as more breeds are entered in the database and by using a different method. The closer the relationship, the more accurate the result.

I did a name brand DNA test a while back. I've received several refinements since the original results because the sampling set has grown by more people doing these tests.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts