Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think people pick breeds based on themselves and what they think is beautiful and what fits their personality (most often if there aren't allergies involved). So what kind of person do you think owns a poodle?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Poodle is a thinking person's dog.

Poodles don't suffer fools. They want to be able to respect their owners and have their owners respect them. Poodles have a well developed sense of fairness and their own self worth, so they are best suited to owners who are fair, consistent and who show clear leadership.

I think a Poodle owner is a person who likes having a dog that is discriminating. Poodles are friendly, but not typically a type of dog to run off and fawn over over people.

Poodle owners are people who like to interact with their dogs. They are not people whose dream dog is a rug ornament. I think that Poodle people like a dog that takes direction well and one that wants to work for its owner.

I think Poodle owners like to have a stylish dog that looks good on the end of leash. Most Poodle owners go to great lengths to keep their dogs well groomed.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
groomers! lol. Well, it's true that many many groomers go out and find themselves a poodle to practise on, so that's ONE type of person anyway.... hehe

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to admit that I find my well groomed poodles are very ornamental when I take them out. We had so many compliments on them when we took them with us last week on our walk that it was a real nice ego boost for my grooming skills.:lol:

·
Registered
741 Posts
defently groomers i got todd because i wanted a dog i could practice on.... and also knew poodles where nice tempered life and smart enough for me to be able to have some fun with him

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have to admit that I find my well groomed poodles are very ornamental when I take them out. We had so many compliments on them when we took them with us last week on our walk that it was a real nice ego boost for my grooming skills.:lol:
I hear ya on this. I eat it up myself. And I hope to use this to my advantage someday:) At the dog park people are always looking for trusting groomers and I get asked all the time where do you go.

I do notice that many will say that Suri carries herself as if she knows how pretty she is. She stands out in a crowd but my dogs really don't run up to people often. I thought this might be their social skills, but maybe it is a poodle thing like mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last time we were out, Mia was approached by a nice woman as she was asking us about the dogs. Mia stood there for about a minute while the woman petting her head and then she moved off to come back with me. It wasn't that she was unsure, they all just seem to have a reserved nature about them with strangers and I like that. I'm not fond of dogs that approach every person they see with a ridiculous amount of energy and affection. I guess that means I'm more like a poodle than a lab.:lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am not a groomer! and have had dogs for 40+ years and liked their happy disposition and ability to learn. Lara my eldest was certainly an interesting challenge with agility!
But - here is a lesson from my workplace - I am a psychiatric nurse and was working alongside a colleague with a difficult client. The client was talking about people making assumptions about her - I said "I bet you make assumptions about people too" no, she said - I wouldn't! so I asked her what sort of dogs I would have and what sort of dogs my colleague would have! oh, she said, "you would have a Rottweiler, and she (my colleague) would have a white fluffy thing!" we both laughed - my colleague has a Staffordshire Bull Terrier! and of course I have two Std Poodles! so I think all sorts of people own and love Std Poodles, and the men who have them are usually quite comfortable with themselves!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
CBrand covered it all LOL :), so I second her opinion :first:

BUT, unfortunately there are people who own them for profit also :fish: What a shame : ((((

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
so I think all sorts of people own and love Std Poodles, and the men who have them are usually quite comfortable with themselves!
My BF would have a 6 pack of poodles! He is very in love :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would say a poodle owner is someone who wants a companion with a personality. I have four dogs, and only two of them have actual personalities... One of which is my poodle. He is intelligent beyond my expectations, sassy when he thinks he is getting away with something, excited when he knows we are headed to his favorite place, and truly compassionate and loving when he knows something is wrong.

I was one of those people who had misconceptions about poodles, and when I happened to find a small, dirty, curly ball of fluff, I never expected to fall in love with him for everything I said above. I have never been a "small breed" kind of person, and I was even more appalled by the fact that he was a poodle... But his quick intelligence really won me over... It also helps that he is the most adorable little guy ever who is incredibly sporty and proudly wears a pretty awesome mohawk. :) now, with my misconceptions gladly thrown out the window, and all that I have learned, the poodle has quickly become one of my favorite breeds!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I will admit, when we were researching dogs that were more "hypoallergenic" the poodle wasn't my first choice in the beginning. We had fallen in love with a friend's Wheaton. But they are so gregarious, and at one point our friend's dog got too rambunctious with my little one. Then, we played with a poodle puppy, and the dog seemed to understand moods, and when my kids were done playing, he was done playing. Then, we met Captain, and it was love at first sight. My husband and I were discussing dogs the other day, and we both decided we didn't think we could ever have another dog other than a poodle, except, maybe a Cavalier, but that is only after my kids are out of the house :lol:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well I would say a very lazy person who does not want to spend time with the vacuum :p
But then again you cant be lazy taking care of all this coat.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What kind of person owns a poodle?

Well, obviously, an AWESOME person!! :D

Hehehe
Honestly, I think poodle owners like to see themselves in their dogs. Many poodle owners are very intelligent, rational people, and they don't relate as well to lots of the more "doggish" breeds. Poodles are beautiful, stylish, very smart, emotive, personal dogs, and their owners absolutely love that about them. It feels good to know that you HAVE something that wonderful and "superior", and it kind of gives people an ego boost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes,a man comfortable in his masculinity- hehe. My husband does get some looks when he is walking our spoo by himself at our outdoor mall.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Yes but I don't consider a BYB who keeps a string of breeding dogs to be a "Poodle person". I consider him to be an opportunist.
Agreed :)

Although I am not sure that some NON BYB breeders "loose the compass" at some point due to greed and prestige : (.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Poodle is a thinking person's dog.

Poodles don't suffer fools. They want to be able to respect their owners and have their owners respect them. Poodles have a well developed sense of fairness and their own self worth, so they are best suited to owners who are fair, consistent and who show clear leadership.

I think a Poodle owner is a person who likes having a dog that is discriminating. Poodles are friendly, but not typically a type of dog to run off and fawn over over people.

Poodle owners are people who like to interact with their dogs. They are not people whose dream dog is a rug ornament. I think that Poodle people like a dog that takes direction well and one that wants to work for its owner.

I think Poodle owners like to have a stylish dog that looks good on the end of leash. Most Poodle owners go to great lengths to keep their dogs well groomed.
This is what I would have said (albeit possibly not as eloquently) if she had not written it first.

Agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts