Poodle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned dryer and scissor recommendations in another thread but the question is pretty much buried in there as the thread is actually about clippers so thought I鈥檇 throw out a separate thread. Got my clippers so that鈥檚 finally a done deal.馃槉

I would love some recommendations now for an affordable dryer and affordable scissors for grooming Bobby Spoo. We live in a small house so the dryer needs to be easy to store and move around. I am thinking a pair of straight scissors and a pair of curved scissors, right? I am quite clueless. We won鈥檛 be doing fancy haircuts, just the basic clip he always has. I love a big, round topknot though and my understanding would be to used curved scissors for that job, right?

Advice and ideas most appreciated! 馃槉

Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
For a dryer, check your local classified ads and resale shops. I got lucky, and found an older Metro two speed Air Force Commander at a church thrift store for under $20 (I hit the "everything with a green sticker is 75% off" day). I've not used it on Simon yet, but it does a pretty decent job on Leo, my GSD.

I got Purple Dragon shears, on the basis of what I've seen recommended here and in a FB group I'm in. I decided that I didn't need to start out with "super-duper premium, with price tag to match" shears, and that "good enough for now, might upgrade later" would do.

Reactions: Spottytoes

Registered
For shears I really like my kenchiis. Their Loves line is a great entry level shear that is very popular. I think their scorpion line is even cheaper. I am using their 5 star line no-offset curves and really like them. The curve is more subtle which is great for topknots. I prefer to have a more expensive set of curves and a cheaper pair of straights. I use curves almost all the time anyway. With the no-offset shears you can flip them around in your hand to use in either direction which I use a lot. Offset shears are better for hand strain but since I'm not a professional groomer it doesn't matter.

For dryers the Shelandy is very popular for at home pet use. I like my Flying Pig but it is more expensive.

Registered
I got an $80 no-name 4.3 hp AIIYME dryer on Amazon. Right now it is listed at $110. While I do like it, I would choose one with an adjustable heater next time. On mine, airflow is adjustable but heat is off or on. I start out with it on, then turn it off as it gets too warm. Right now it only takes me about 20 mins to dry her so I only have to flip it off once, but if it took much longer, I can see having to flip it on/off/on/off, which would just be annoying.

Registered
I have the Free Paws high velocity dryer. I see it鈥檚 rated an Amazon Choice but I don鈥檛 know what that means. I bought it because a long time member of PF Mollymuima recommended it and I鈥檝e had mine for 5 years.

It鈥檚 4 horsepower, has 2 heat settings or no heat and stepless adjustable air flow so you can quickly adjust the amount of air flow. I only use the cylindrical nozzle. With the puppy I remove the nozzle. When I bought it they had less attachments but the attachment poodles need is the cylindrical one.

For scissors buy only Japanese steel or high quality steel. I groomed my tpoo for 20 years using straight scissors and while I own curved I find it easier to get a nice rounded finish with straight which seems illogical but I think it鈥檚 because I鈥檓 used to straight.

Premium Member
I'm the opposite of you, Skylar. I pretty much exclusively use curves. I have Kenchii shears. My dryer is a B-Air Fido Max. It's now held together with duct tape and luck. I think for Christmas, I'm getting a new one.

Registered
I'm the opposite of you, Skylar. I pretty much exclusively use curves
I think most people are like you Click and it makes sense to cut a round shape with round scissors.

Registered
Scissors: I was taught professional grooming using 1 straight and 1 thinning shears (some Japanese brand that I can鈥檛 remember and was never sharpened because it costs $100 to do so). I did countless poodles on those 2 pairs for 3 years while I was completing the 3 courses. I only started buying curved shears two years ago (always no brand, China ones, you鈥檇 be surprised at the sharpness on some of these and the replaceability costs). I use both to do round shapes, usually straight to make a box first, then curved to get my 鈥減erfect鈥 sphere.

Dryer: I have a no brand China made dryer which I myself want to change out because it takes too long to dry Whiskey. But now I am thinking it may just be the humidity in my area.

Edit to add: so right after posting, I came across SilverLine shears that seem popular amongst Korean groomers on YouTube. Maybe that shall be my birthday present to myself / Whiskey this year 馃

Registered
... how much money do you want to spend?

We have a $40-50 scissor set from Amazon and a $140 dryer from Amazon. Nothing fancy. Entry level. Still works. Still use them.

I can only see it making a difference if your a working professional and time = $. If a few extra minutes in your life is okay, then I wouldn't fuss over the horsepower. With professional grooms being $40+, or bathing your dog at a dog wash = $20. Then you will see a return on investment in 6 months...

Just like the $30 dremmel I got for Basil online when she was a puppy. Still use it to this day. The vets office want $16 to cut her nails... Okkkkaaayyy no thank you.

Registered
Possibly the best way to select shears is to go to a dog show. There is almost always a vendor who carries a variety of scissors/shears. You would be able to hold them to assess their balance and to determine if they "fit" your hand nicely.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback.! Your responses give me some ideas to work with. There is just so much out there I kind of didn鈥檛 know where to begin. It鈥檚 nice to have recommendations. I trust poodle people way more than Chewy or Amazon reviews. 馃槈

Registered
I've had bad experiences buying shears on Amazon. First time I tried a cheap $40 set and they were terrible so I returned them and got more expensive good ones. I've also tried buying kenchii shears off Amazon but they were old and misaligned. I purchased a pair from kenchii and they were perfect.

I've had to sharpen shears occasionally. It's pretty cheap. Somewhere around $10 per pair.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, Wow! Good to know! There is a dog only pet store near me that sells dog grooming supplies. While there aren鈥檛 as many choices perhaps I should go there.

Super Moderator
I've had bad experiences buying shears on Amazon. First time I tried a cheap $40 set and they were terrible so I returned them and got more expensive good ones. I've also tried buying kenchii shears off Amazon but they were old and misaligned. I purchased a pair from kenchii and they were perfect.

I've had to sharpen shears occasionally. It's pretty cheap. Somewhere around $10 per pair.
Me too. I've never received a pair of usable, let alone good, scissors from Amazon. I came across a hairdressers supply shop while I was out shopping one day and bought a pair of human hair scissors there on impulse a few months before Covid. This pair got me through the lockdown, but I would certainly defer to someone else with real grooming experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts