Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Phoebe's collar broke off the other day, although i'm not sure how but now I can't decide what to get! She had the standard simple nylon type but maybe I'll try another material? Since we use a harness while on leash the options are open! I would your love recommendations or suggestions.

So what kind of collar do you have on your poodles or are there any you have your eye on?

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
My number one criteria when selecting a collar is that it has no rough bits where it makes contact with their neck. Almost every collar I've tested at big pet stores had rough edges or sharp nylon threads. If I couldn't wear it all day, I won't make my dog wear it.

I use a simple rolled leather collar on Peggy.

Her nylon collar got caught on a cabinet knob when she was a puppy and twisted tight when she tried to get free. Luckily I was there. I think it could have killed her and quickly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My number one criteria when selecting a collar is that it has no rough bits where it makes contact with their neck. Almost every collar I've tested at big pet stores had rough edges or sharp nylon threads. If I couldn't wear it all day, I won't make my dog wear it.

I use a simple rolled leather collar on Peggy.

Her nylon collar got caught on a cabinet knob when she was a puppy and twisted tight when she tried to get free. Luckily I was there. I think it could have killed her and quickly.
So glad you were there I couldn't imagine something happening like that to Phoebe.
I was wondering if the leather collars cause damage to the fur like the nylons do? I found a velvet one on Etsy but I hate not being able see it in person before I buy one.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Annie also has a rolled leather collar.They are supposed to prevent fur matting. My criteria is a metal buckle like a belt rather than a plastic snap type buckle (I dont trust them, have a hard time using them), and I strongly prefer leather. Annie's is a coastal circle t one.

I prefer to not have tags dangling as I have watched a dog get caught by the tags caught in something. So Annie had a slip on name tag/phone number tag that doesnt dangle and I dont keep her rabies or municipal tag on her.

Like this

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Annie also has a rolled leather collar.They are supposed to prevent fur matting. My criteria is a metal buckle like a belt rather than a plastic snap type buckle (I dont trust them, have a hard time using them), and I strongly prefer leather. Annie's is a coastal circle t one.

I prefer to not have tags dangling as I have watched a dog get caught by the tags caught in something. So Annie had a slip on name tag/phone number tag that doesnt dangle and I dont keep her rabies or municipal tag on her.
Thank you for the great tag idea and I definitely want something that will not only protect her neck but also is sturdy which so far sounds like leather is a strong contender.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Evie has a orange hunting collar from Gundog Supply, it it basically like a belt in design and has a name plate with my number and things like that. I really like it, I personally think they are more secure than a simple buckle collar. I had to get a bright collar so I could see her at night otherwise she is invisible so I am unsure as to whether or not it comes in other colors.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
If your dog always wears a harness when on walks, you might consider a breakaway collar or one that she can slip out of to put ID on. Then there is no risk of her getting it caught and strangling herself. It is common enough to be very unnerving. I personally love leather collars or biothane collars. Misha's currently sporting a leather breakaway collar.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your dog always wears a harness when on walks, you might consider a breakaway collar or one that she can slip out of to put ID on. Then there is no risk of her getting it caught and strangling herself. It is common enough to be very unnerving. I personally love leather collars or biothane collars. Misha's currently sporting a leather breakaway collar.
I actually had looked at some bright biothane collars for lake trips in the future!

·
Premium Member
4,366 Posts
Asta gets a new collar every year on his birthday. This year I am going for the rolled leather collar with name plate . I like having a phone number as many do not know microchips. I found out the hard way that flat leather caused matts.

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
80 Posts
Reactions: Phoebe’sMom

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Wow, that is scary ! My dogs don’t wear collars, mainly for this reason. Even if I’m home most of the time. And they wear harnesses on their walks. The only time they wear a collar is when we go visit somewhere, since they can’t wear a harness 24/7 and I want them to wear a dog tag.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Biothane for us, one inch wide with a belt style buckle. Although I’m boring and got brown leather color. Love that it’s cleaned in 10 seconds with a wipe of a cloth with hand soap on it.

There is a shop local to us that makes them, so I got a custom one with a matching leash.

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
Wow, that is scary ! My dogs don’t wear collars, mainly for this reason. Even if I’m home most of the time. And they wear harnesses on their walks. The only time they wear a collar is when we go visit somewhere, since they can’t wear a harness 24/7 and I want them to wear a dog tag.
I do often remove Peggy's collar at home. I'm just so afraid something will happen that will send her running loose in the neighbourhood. She's not a bolter, but something like an earthquake. Or something much more minor, but nevertheless unexpected.

My friend lost her chihuahua through a series of unfortunate circumstances, which resulted in him running away downtown Toronto, collarless. That she got him back still feels miraculous.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!-
I found a leather collar that had really good reviews on etsy that I went ahead and purchased for both girls. We will see how the come out but if they are horrible I will just buy more! (Might have a shopping problem when it comes to my pups) Thank you all for the helpful advice and when they come in I will give y’all a review.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do often remove Peggy's collar at home. I'm just so afraid something will happen that will send her running loose in the neighbourhood. She's not a bolter, but something like an earthquake. Or something much more minor, but nevertheless unexpected.

My friend lost her chihuahua through a series of unfortunate circumstances, which resulted in him running away downtown Toronto, collarless. That she got him back still feels miraculous.
I'm with you in this. My dogs usually don't wear their collars in the house, and Happy is given no indication she's a bolter, but I'm ever fearful a door or gate will get left open and she'll wonder off. She's chipped but that only works if someone takes her somewhere to have it read. I'd like to find something that's both comfortable around the house and suitable for walks around the neighborhood. She still has a lot of growing ahead, so until she's big enough for a big girl collar she's using a hand me down from my late JRT.

·
Super Moderator
7,144 Posts
I'd like to find something that's both comfortable around the house and suitable for walks around the neighborhood.
Maybe something like this?

I'd just want to make sure a) it actually releases as it's supposed to and b) doesn't have any pokey nylon bits that could be irritating. I'm not having much luck googling leather versions.

·
Registered
430 Posts
My dogs don't wear collars in the house or yard for a variety of safety reasons. Their regular collars for when we walk or are traveling in the car are flat leather, an inch wide and have ornamental clinchers on them. I don't use rolled leather because they are so narrow and I don't like the pressure they can put on the trachea without any dispersal if the dog pulls a bit. I get my non-custom collars from a company called Tory Leather http://toryleather.com/catalogs/Dog_Line_Catalog.pdf which has a very nice selection of leather collars from very plain to some basic ornamentation such as the clinchers I mentioned, braiding, raised leather, etc. I get my custom collars from a lady in England who is a trained harness maker and does all work by hand. She is phenomenal and will work with you to design exactly what you want and the sky is the limit for styles, leather colors, bling, etc. She did my custom agility martingales and they are really nice. I've referred a number of people to her when they wanted to get some custom collars after seeing mine....

Reactions: Phoebe’sMom
1 - 19 of 19 Posts