Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not new to dogs but definitely new to having a poodle! I know that their fur can mat pretty easily and i imagine some collars help it in doing so. I really don't want to use one of those chain collars. I work in a grooming shop and I seem to see several standard poodles wearing those fancy type check collars (i think they're called?)

So, i bought a rolled leather collar thinking that would be the best but someone else told me it would make it worse, is that true?

This is like what I bought:

I use a martingale for walks so im just wondering about a collar for general use, mostly just to hold rabies and ID tags.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I keep Jazz's coat really long and have had NO problems with her wearing her martingale all the time. It so far hasn't tangled the coat. Our new baby Saleen is also wearing one (it's about the only type of collar we use these days) and it isn't making a mess of her baby hair either. DON'T leave a choke collar, no matter how fancy, on your dog if he isn't on leash. The photo of the chain you posted is commonly refered to as a snake chain if you're interested. If you're just set on having a different collar to hold tags on other than the martingale the rolled one you posted a photo is probably your best bet. Honetsly though, I don't see a reason to have two collars.

Another take on the collar debate is to have a break away collar to hold your tags. Pressumably if the collar gets caught on something it can break open and avoids choking your dog when you aren't home. Just another option.

Again though, it seems more complicated to me to have to switch collars back and forth just to go for a walk. Unless you are using a training collar of some sort I suppose. If you already have the martingale why not just use it for a while and see if you even need an additonal collar. If it aint broke don't fix it right ?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I keep my martingale collars attached to the leash for when we go out for walks or go out anywhere really and I leave the buckle collar on all the time, even during a walk.

I do it more for safety than anything else. I don't like leaving the martingale on in case it gets caught and they cant slip it off but I like using it on a walk in case for some reason the dog tries to slip collar out of fear or whatever she can't.

I also trained Pandora on a martingale so it's like when I put that collar on she almost knows that she has to behave and that it's "training". She really does act different on a leash when on a martingale collar as opposed to her every day collar. It's like she knows she has to behave when wearing the martingale.

That was my main worry with the snake chain thing, i've never been wild about slip collars of any kind at least the ones that seem neverending. The martingale I'm comfortable using, but i dont like the ones that can just keep getting tighter and tighter.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I'm with you on the chains, I don't allow them for any reason if my classes. I've lost a few students to that I'm sure but I am dead set against their use in 99% of cases.

I do occasionaly use them for show dogs because they are pretty and I have an easier time on the table. It isnt use for control in that instance though, those are dogs that already know how to behave on a leash.

I would go with the rolled collar or a break away if you can find one. The rolled collar is supposed to lessen matting. You have a dark colored baby so it probably does't matted what color rolled collar you get. It might be worth knowing though that the colored versions, particualy the red, will fade off on your dog.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The rolled leather collar will not mat up your poodle's coat. I have a havanese that is in full coat and he tangles easily, but not with the rolled leather. With my poodles, I only use collars when we are on the walk, at home all my dogs go naked. ;) I am forever worried about the tags getting caught on something and the dogs unable to get out. All three are microchipped, so that's an added comfort.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I agree....never use a choker for a everyday collar. I get those AKC buckle collars that target sells and put the tags on that collar. I did recently come accross a soft rope AKC collar that looks just like the rolled up leather one posted. It only has the leather on the ends where it comes together.

Buy the way....Im not a die hard AKC collar fan. For some reason where ever I go I see them on sale and can't resist the price. lol I would like to get a nice martingale collar. I really like the function of those collars. Anyone seen the Martingale 2.5 - 3 inch collars anywhere? I would like a thick one for Eli.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Roxy25,

For Enzo I wouldn't even worry about a regular everyday collar. Since you are planning to show him soon and he's not left outside when your gone, I wouldn't. The collar can make the hair around his neck not as full and wont stand as well.

Im having to do the same with Sting right now. I do want a better walking collar but it has to come off right after the walk. I do prefer my dogs to wear a collar with tags but in Stings case Ive been told not to.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Roxy25,

For Enzo I wouldn't even worry about a regular everyday collar. Since you are planning to show him soon and he's not left outside when your gone, I wouldn't. The collar can make the hair around his neck not as full and wont stand as well.

Im having to do the same with Sting right now. I do want a better walking collar but it has to come off right after the walk. I do prefer my dogs to wear a collar with tags but in Stings case Ive been told not to.
Yeah I figured That , this is probably why have yet to buy him on lol. He has already lost hair on his neck did you see it ? I hope this mega tek coat re-builder works on him. I figured if it works on my head then it should work for him lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah I figured That , this is probably why have yet to buy him on lol. He has already lost hair on his neck did you see it ? I hope this mega tek coat re-builder works on him. I figured if it works on my head then it should work for him lol
lol...well I hope it works and no I didn't notice and coat damage around the neck area.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
lol...well I hope it works and no I didn't notice and coat damage around the neck area.
Yeah its barely growing back , I don't understand how his feet hair and muzzle hair grows so fast but not the neck. He lost the hair from frontline !

What type of show Lead and collar do you have for Sting ? or do you have an all in one? I bought this one http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/430437/catid/132/vname/Show_Tech_Swivel_Slide_Show_Leads

its ok I don't like it very much because I hate the way it fills in my hands I do like the swivel part.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use both nylon and chain....depends on the dog. I prefer the chain in most cases though. This is the lead I use....it's about 3 feet in length. You don't need anything longer or shorter for a Poodle. I prefer the nylon type leads instead of the braided. It folds up in the hand easier...well to me it does. We have both but the braided is my husband favorite lead.

I also have one of the leads you posted. I personally don't care for that type. Its easier to keep the collar and lead seperate when showing. The dogs go in and out of crates so it makes leashing easier too. I also don't feel like I have enough control with a all in one collar and lead. Thats just my opinion an that type.

If you decide to try something else Petedge is cheap and the quality is as good as you'll get from the show vender's. All of mine have lasted years..actually I still have every one I bought from years back now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I use both nylon and chain....depends on the dog. I prefer the chain in most cases though. This is the lead I use....it's about 3 feet in length. You don't need anything longer or shorter for a Poodle. I prefer the nylon type leads instead of the braided. It folds up in the hand easier...well to me it does. We have both but the braided is my husband favorite lead.

I also have one of the leads you posted. I personally don't care for that type. Its easier to keep the collar and lead seperate when showing. The dogs go in and out of crates so it makes leashing easier too. I also don't feel like I have enough control with a all in one collar and lead. Thats just my opinion an that type.

If you decide to try something else Petedge is cheap and the quality is as good as you'll get from the show vender's. All of mine have lasted years..actually I still have every one I bought from years back now.
Thanks for theh info , I will probably get him a new one along with the grooming suppies that I am about to buy.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I use a wide nylon collar on Billy and Carly and only when they are on the lead. Otherwise, they too go naked. We live in a very remote area with all sorts of possible accidents waiting to happen. I had a horse get a halter caught on a tree branch once and ever since all of my animals go naked unless I am working with them.

Both of my spoos are microchiped for added peace of mind.

Good luck with your collar shopping.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts