Poodle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there was a similar thread recently, but I couldn't find it. (Obviously I didn't use the correct search terms.)

The other day, I was grooming my fresh-washed boy. The table is outside, under a shade structure (it's So Cal and the temp was in the high 60's). I keep my grooming tools in a plastic tub, so they stay together where I can find them. The tub sits on a little shelf, close at hand, but far enough away from the table that neither Sage nor I can knock it over.

We didn't get as far as I would have liked, but it was clear that he was done, so we stopped. I unplugged the clippers and put them back into the tub, and we went inside.

Before bed, we went outside for the final potty. Sage ran over to the forgotten tub, and stared at it. Then he stared at me. Clueless, I reminded him that we were out to potty. He looked at the tub again, and stared at me with that "I'm trying to tell you, don't you get it?" look that poodles do so well.

Finally, I got the message. He was right, of course, those grooming tools shouldn't be left outside to rust. As I picked up the tub and thanked him, and told him what a good boy he was, he acknowledged the praise and ran off to pee.

Humbled by a smart poodle once again.

What has your poodle told you lately?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm sure there was a similar thread recently, but I couldn't find it. (Obviously I didn't use the correct search terms.)

The other day, I was grooming my fresh-washed boy. The table is outside, under a shade structure (it's So Cal and the temp was in the high 60's). I keep my grooming tools in a plastic tub, so they stay together where I can find them. The tub sits on a little shelf, close at hand, but far enough away from the table that neither Sage nor I can knock it over.

We didn't get as far as I would have liked, but it was clear that he was done, so we stopped. I unplugged the clippers and put them back into the tub, and we went inside.

Before bed, we went outside for the final potty. Sage ran over to the forgotten tub, and stared at it. Then he stared at me. Clueless, I reminded him that we were out to potty. He looked at the tub again, and stared at me with that "I'm trying to tell you, don't you get it?" look that poodles do so well.

Finally, I got the message. He was right, of course, those grooming tools shouldn't be left outside to rust. As I picked up the tub and thanked him, and told him what a good boy he was, he acknowledged the praise and ran off to pee.

Humbled by a smart poodle once again.

What has your poodle told you lately?
My late Schatzi used to find my cat when she disappeared. He would run around and when he found her he would bark. At times he would run into my room and bark. When he did we (stupidly) would say "She is not there we already looked there but he would continue barking. When we looked - sure enough there she was! My smaller Mini Poo tried to tell my Dad I had a second hamster and then that there was a cat on his workbench. HE never listened!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Stella pushes the water dispenser around the corner of the cupboard into the middle of the kitchen when it is empty.
Brown Cabinetry Wood Flooring Floor

Technically, she is using her super poodle smarts to splash the last bit of water from the "desperation resevoir" (circled in blue) over the lip (red arrow) into the dish (white shaded area).
Hood Automotive lighting Drinkware Fluid Automotive design

I don't know how she figured out that she could get more water this way; it took US a while to figure out that is why she was pushing the dish around.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Zephyr tells me when he wants to come back inside by jumping up and looking through the window into the room where he knows I am.
Elmer has been doing something similar. He gets a running start to look in the window though, so the banging on the storm door is pretty effective.
Dog Snow Carnivore Automotive tire Art

He also lets me know when his bully sticks are getting too short by bringing them to me to hold for him. I don't know when I became his favorite bully stick holder, but he'll just walk over to me and start poking me with it. If I don't grab the dry end, he'll poke again and drop it at my feet. Then pick it up and poke me again. Like he doesn't know why it isn't just sticking to my knee for easier chewing... It's gross, but at least I can easily dispose of them when they're too short.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Winnie lets me know what toy she wants to play with. If I'm not in the mood for throwing the ball she has brought to me I will ask her to go get another toy for tug. If she is happy to play tug, she will go and get a tug toy. But if she wants to play fetch with the ball she will come right up to my face and bop me on the nose with the ball. OK Winnie you win.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Bobby tells me with his tail that he wants to eat. Last night he stands next to me and stares. This is how he tells me things as he thinks he has mind probing capabilities. 😉

Last night, as he was staring intently, I tried a little something. I first asked him if he wanted to go for a walk. His tail wiggled a bit. I then asked if he wanted to play ball. His tail again wiggled a bit. I then asked if he wanted to eat. His tail did the very excited and shivery thing it does when he is excited. I repeated the questions three times just to be sure. Exactly the same tail responses. Bobby definitely understands the word eat! 🤣 And of course we went to the kitchen for the usual dinner
routine. 😊

1 - 11 of 11 Posts