Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meisha has a "thing" for huskies. They are the first ones she tries to play with. I think it's because they are good at chasing.

She has shown little interest in other standard poodles but sometimes she likes doodles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My mini girl Kiko, who passed some years ago, is the only poodle we've had that had preferences. She was a huge flirt. She too loved huskies, and would twirl and spin and behave in a silly manner in front of them. She also loved red dogs. So, Irish Setters, Nova Scotia Duck Tollers and dark red Golden Retrievers would also make her spin and act silly.
She did not like Yorkshire terriers, I'm sure she thought they were squeaky toys.
She did like poodles and would run to greet them. Interestingly, she once ran up to a medium sized poodle, which turned out to be a doodle, and just a few seconds into mutual sniffing, she snapped at it and turned her back and walked away. This was when doodles were just starting to show up everywhere, and she ignored them all. A true poodle snob, that girl.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
319 Posts
Fenris likes poodles, doodles, and vizslas so far.

He is so over chihuahuas. There is one in our community that is a leash pulling, teeth baring, vicious monster on a leash (I'd be afraid of her if she wasn't on a leash) and he has walked past her enough times that they make him weary when he sees them in other places.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hi guys, Im looking to buy a poodle puppy for my family - ive read that females are more intelligent than males and can be distant at times and not so loving or affectionate than male poodles - im just wondering if this is true or just depends on the dogs nature.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Mine definitely have a preference for poodles and doodles. Groot doesn’t particularly like huskies or pugs, but has a clear preference for older females regardless of the breed 😂.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
319 Posts
Hi guys, Im looking to buy a poodle puppy for my family - ive read that females are more intelligent than males and can be distant at times and not so loving or affectionate than male poodles - im just wondering if this is true or just depends on the dogs nature.
Maybe start a new discussion thread with this question as it doesn't seem to relate to what the OP was asking.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Our old spoos like spoos, doodles and boxers. Boxers are really good at leaping in the air, spinning, and standing on their back legs to Greco-Roman wrestle just like spoos. Our pack also enjoyed pitbulls because pits are top heavy and pitbull tipping is a fun sport. The pits liked being knocked over as well and were always ready for another round, but their owners found it highly embarrassing and unmacho.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our poodle loves the Jack Russell Terrier breed, I don't even know why this breed attracts him so much, and also a dachshund. I don't understand this love, because this dog breed is a little annoying

·
Registered
61 Posts
Cody likes pretty much all medium and large dogs. Probably his favorites are labs and doodles. He likes small dogs when introduced, but has grown wary of them on leashes because there are a few that bark and lunge a lot by us.

The only two dogs he has really not liked are (I think, I'm still getting to know some dog breeds) a malamute and something small (probably 15 lbs) that looked like a fox. Both were the lone aggressive-ish dog at the dog park at the time. It was particularly funny with the small fox-looking dog, because our dog park is in a huge forest preserve and is 99% bigger dogs, and this dog was by far both the smallest and most aggressive.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cody likes pretty much all medium and large dogs. Probably his favorites are labs and doodles. He likes small dogs when introduced, but has grown wary of them on leashes because there are a few that bark and lunge a lot by us.

The only two dogs he has really not liked are (I think, I'm still getting to know some dog breeds) a malamute and something small (probably 15 lbs) that looked like a fox. Both were the lone aggressive-ish dog at the dog park at the time. It was particularly funny with the small fox-looking dog, because our dog park is in a huge forest preserve and is 99% bigger dogs, and this dog was by far both the smallest and most aggressive.
I wonder if the "fox" was a shiba inu.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,821 Posts
Welcome, @kiran! Seems like you’ve landed in the wrong thread. I recommend typing “males vs females” into the Poodle Forum search bar and you’ll see loads of discussions of this topic. Spoiler alert: There’s very little consensus. ;)

Back to the current topic—Peggy doesn’t show much preference for one breed over another. But she loves her very confident Briard friend and shows a lot of respect for her pit-border collie friend. She doesn’t like barky, pushy dogs who ignore basic social cues.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
He is a standard, and likes other standards the best, after that tiny dogs of just about any breed as long as they are not snarley and barky. He ignores doodles...

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Meisha has a "thing" for huskies. They are the first ones she tries to play with. I think it's because they are good at chasing.

She has shown little interest in other standard poodles but sometimes she likes doodles.
Zoe is afraid of huskies because one chased her all over the agility field. He clearly intended to grab her. She generally likes other dogs, but prefers other poodles.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
My old girl, Chante' did not consider herself to be a dog, except she adored a harlequin Great Dane named, Frank. They did public therapy dog events together at the county fair because, Frank didn't really like other dogs. except for Chante'. It was a match made in dog snob heaven, ha-ha! With all our other poodles, they seemed to be most accepting of breeds they met and had positive experiences with as pups.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts