Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zulee loves cheese. It's just not the best thing to train with. What do you use when you are training? I need some ideas.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
When we were training dogs at the humane society I managed, our junior volunteers used to cut hotdogs up into slices, put them in a single layer on a microwave safe plate and microwave them until they were crispy!! The dogs LOVED them, they weren't as messy as raw hotdogs, and they were a nice size for training.

I haven't done that for my own dogs for a while, but now that I remembered it I may! The only thing is that we do keep them in the refrigerator, so they're not as convenient as the store bought, crunchy training treats...

A friend of mine gave me a recipe for Tuna Brownies, too. I don't have it with me right now, but when I put my hands on it I'll post it here. Her poodle will do ANYTHING for a bite of Tuna Brownies (and no, there is no chocolate in the recipe!) :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I've found a dog roll here in town that doesn't need to be in the fridge (though it needs to be air tight) and when I have it out, it kneads into the consistancy of firm play-dough. So I can keep a handful in my hand, it's not greasy or yuck, it can dry out if it's been unsealed for a bit, but usually is good. I break it off or let Paris nibble a bit off for and extra special treat. lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
Natural ABalance dog food rolls....its a complete diet food and can be cut up into small or large pieces for training. It also easily breaks and is soft so they chew and swallow faster and training can keep moving at a good pace.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I use these vet treats that are chicken and you can break them up into small pieces. One piece goes a long way.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You can nuke braunschweiger too and they love it. I use cheese, Natural Balance rolls, chicken, hot dogs, etc... Anything yummy will do. My Whippet, Robin, LOVES candy - skittles, m & m's, jelly beans... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
My Whippet, Robin, LOVES candy - skittles, m & m's, jelly beans... :biggrin:
A friend of mine says her standard poodle LOVES mini marshmallows! :) Gotta love all that refined sugar!:doh: :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Forgot about the mini marshmallows! We use them quite a bit for training when you have to throw something that is highly visible - you can toss them pretty well and they are easy to see inside or out. :biggrin:

Yep - Robin has a TOTAL sweet tooth (takes after his mama!).

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
When I'm teaching my dog tricks, I chop up a hot dog into a bunch of tiny pieces, she loves it, I can normally get a whole new trick learned with just one hot dog.

Though, when I get my poodle I'm going to train with those natural balance dog food rolls.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I make my own brownies Liver and stuff in them I can stick stuff that the spoos wont eat in em Like sea meal.. If any one is interested I can send the recipe.. My dogs are crazy about then

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bigredpoodle - will you share the recipe with the board instead of by pm??

When I go to heelwork to music, it's a 2 hour session so to keep Inca's interest, I start with little biscuit treats, some rabbit and cheese treats etc. Then, when the first hour has passed, I bring in the big guns, dried garlic sausage, cheese and even half her chicken dinner.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
2 LB Liver
4 eggs
carrot
3 clove garlic
2 cup ww flour
2 cup corn meal
Pinch parsley
Pinch basil
Some granulated garlic
Puree the liver with eggs , garlic a bit of carrot ½ or less, you may need to add a bit of water
Add pureed ingredients to flour and corn meal mix together , pour and pat into a baking sheet cookies sheet large size.. bake at 350 for 20 min.. Cover with foil let rest / cool. Cut into squares and refrigerate or freeze your choice….

Here is the recipe but as I said I have been known to add flax, sea meal beets and we do raise our own eggs.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2 LB Liver
4 eggs
carrot
3 clove garlic
2 cup ww flour
2 cup corn meal
Pinch parsley
Pinch basil
Some granulated garlic
Puree the liver with eggs , garlic a bit of carrot ½ or less, you may need to add a bit of water
Add pureed ingredients to flour and corn meal mix together , pour and pat into a baking sheet cookies sheet large size.. bake at 350 for 20 min.. Cover with foil let rest / cool. Cut into squares and refrigerate or freeze your choice….

Here is the recipe but as I said I have been known to add flax, sea meal beets and we do raise our own eggs.
Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing! I will definitely try it for Christmas: have to spoil the grand dogs!!:) Mine are already spoiled!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts