Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
"Chin down" for sure (meaning "Rest your chin on the floor, or on my hand, knee, etc.).

I think it's adorable, and it's exactly the sort of behaviour I want Peggy to offer up when she wants something from me or feels unsure. It's such a natural relaxation pose, she often just ends up falling asleep.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Chin down"
I've never heard of that command - thank you!

Play dead! Mostly because of Misty's reaction--whenever I tell her to do it, she flops around until she winds up on the floor, belly up and tail wagging suspiciously... I haven't the heart to correct it to a proper one
That's hilarious!

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
All the special commands to help with bipolar disorder. Asta does great work for me. We do have one silly command - Football which is just telling him to move away from the tv screen. DH taught him this command during the college football season. I really think it silly because we now use it anytime to get out of the way of the tv screen. Absurd to be issuing the football command for other sorts of tv watching.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The trainers all tell you to say, “Watch Me,” or similar. We say, “Eyeballs. He’s a great eyeball watcher. 😁
For whatever reason, Bobby responds to “Ewwww, Icky” much better than “Leave It.”
I wouldn’t call them our favorites but they are the ones that make me smile.
My favorite is “Benadryl.” That’s basically any meds with a treat and he totally knows it so it’s quite funny to us.

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
My favorite is “Benadryl.” That’s basically any meds with a treat and he totally knows it so it’s quite funny to us.
This made me laugh. My parents' dog Tucker was diabetic and required twice daily insulin injections. A cheery call of "Needle time!" would bring all the dogs running, as Tucker always got a special treat with his needle.

A good lesson for anyone who thinks they can't teach their dog a solid recall. ;)

·
Registered
Beau 1yr old Mini Poodle
76 Posts
So far it's definitely "look at me", Beau's still learning but it is a handy command to use when he's acting up or being naughty. Then it would be a tie between "touch" and "get it". With "touch" I hold out my hand for him to touch with his nose, though he usually gives kisses :). It is a good command to use when he's having trouble focusing (translation . . . being a puppy lol). And "get it" is sort of a catch all, it could be "go get your ball" or "see that (thing I'm pointing to on the floor) get it". When he's older and hopefully able to focus for longer than 10 seconds ;) I will probably teach him some tricks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It’s not really a dog command so much as a tone of voice my dog is familiar with lol. I like when my dogs listen to me after they do something wrong then apologize with licks or big puppy dog eyes. It’s so hard to discipline them after that! But I’ve gotta give that lecture anyway.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well I love asking Phoebe to "shake" as she throws her left front paw up with so much energy so I can shake it, it is really cute. I never trained her really with "kiss" but she licks my face until I laugh usually, sometimes when i'm kinda in the dumps she comes up and showers me with kiss as well. The newest is "rollover" and we have actually just been teaching it for about two days and she is really getting quite good at it. I only wish she was this good at the commands that are important in her training but oh well!

·
Registered
12,616 Posts
"Scrummy medicine time!" brings both dogs and any cats in earshot, as medicines are always served with chicken.

"Wait!" and "Settle down" are the most useful; "Would you be a very kind dog Poppy..." gets Poppy to reluctantly vacate Sophy's bed, or move over to make room for her on my lap; but my favourite is probably "Do you want to go out and run round madly?" which used to be an invitation to play, and is now more of a slow pootle, but still just occasionally leads to glorious zoomies for Sophy and a rather galumphing amble for Poppy.

·
Super Moderator
3,483 Posts
"Shake" has a different meaning with dog's I have owned. It means it's okay to shake off the after I finished giving them a bath, which gives me time to place a towel as a barrier between myself and the very wet dog.

The other is "Come in", which gives permission for entering my bedroom.

One that doesn't work nearly as well as I'd like is "No bark" if they're too excited over noise outside.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
My favorite is sit - whether it's voice command, a hand signal or her automatic sit when I stop walking.

I take my dog on errands into all kinds of businesses, from banks to department stores etc. I get so many compliments from strangers on how well my dog is behaving simply because she immediately sits when I want a sit - and she stays in her sit while I'm busy whether having a conversation or paying for something. If we're in line to pay, people notice every time we move up that she gets up with me as I step forward as people ahead of me move up in line, and then she sits when I stop in our new position. Sit is such as basic command, usually the first you teach and such a wonderful skill when out and about in public.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Dianaleez I use "chill" when I am trimming his nails and he's starting to struggle. It works to calm him down... at least for another minute or two :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
These are all so hilarious and impressive! I'm going to have to work on a few, especially the "shake" command following a bath.

My Sammy's training has slid backwards a bit lately, but he apparently is a very visual learner. What I enjoy the best is not when he is following my verbal/gestural commands, but when he adapts his behavior based on my visual cues. For example, if he sees me put on my "fuzzy" socks, he lies down at my feet knowing we are going to stay in and watch T.V. When he sees me taking more medication than usual, he knows it's a " bed day" and calmly lies in bed all day long. When he sees his doggie bag for obedience training he gets so excited to go to class and brings his harness to me. Since CV19, if he sees me put on jeans/dress pants, he physically shakes/ rolls over and gives me the "don't leave me" eyes, because he knows I am leaving the house.

It just amazes me that he can connect all these visual cues to what is going to happen in his immediate future and act on it. I have never known a dog that could do this so well. I have had other breeds. By far, I think poodles are more attentive and in tune to their owners, intelligent and empathetic than any dog I have ever had.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My favorite for Norman is “Find (Insert name or object)...” and he will find whatever it is and let me know! The most common one is “Find Loki” lol!! Since Loki is black, I MAYBE have lost him outside in the dark before lol. I got him a glow collar now, but Norman will still find Loki, Grandma (my mom), Grandpa (my dad), Char-Char (sister) and any other animal we own my name! He knows our 2 bulldogs names and my sisters 3 cats by name and find them.
He is so smart. He knows his toys by name and will find them as well and bring them to me!
This is VERY useful! Especially when little Loki sneaks away out of sight. So I have Norman hunt him down :) hahaha

1 - 20 of 32 Posts