Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they in the back, in the front, in a crate, seatbelt, your lap? Do they even enjoy car rides?

Riley Adores car rides!!! It is one of his Favorite things to do!! "Do you want to go in the car?" is his favorite phrase (unless you add "to the park" to that question" ;)). Riley wears a seatbelt in the car, and im very happy with our setup. I have a pontiac vibe that i Love. I have the seats in the back folded down, so he has the back hatch area. I have a dog bed for him to lay on (since its cold and the back is hard plastic lined, in the summer when we are out alot i have a washable sheet). The seatbelt hooks to a large metal hook that holds the seat upright (extreamly strong).

Riley does Not like sitting in the front of any car! He is only allowed in the back seat and Must be laying/sitting. Not standing or pacing. We have gone on overnight car trips before, and he does Wonderfully! The perfect car traveling buddy. I love taking him too!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My dog stays in the backseat, she only comes into the front seats if I leave her in the car for any amount of time.. then she's in my seat. At first she wouldn't like to go back to the back of the car, but now I don't give her a choice, either she moves or gets sat on. She's never a problem once she's back there though.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Harry loves going anywhere, he's so weird. He adores going to the vet even. He is loose in the van and usually sits right in between the front seats as there is room there.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Flip is awesome in the car, he sits in the back seat (I have a seat cover) and wears a harness seat belt. My neighbor always laughs because she says he sits and looks out the window at her just like a little kid.

The other day, though, he tried to get in someone else's car...it was exactly like mine, down to the color. :) I had to talk him out if it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris sits or lays in the back seat. She hates being in the front, but loves being in the back! She MUST sit or lay down, I growl if she stands up. I don't mind if she changes positions a bit, but she's gotta sit right back down. She leans right back against the seat like a person if she's sitting up, or she uses the arm rest as a pillow if she's laying down. lol!

She's very very good in the car. I've done a 5 hour drive with her a couple of times now (and return of course) and every week when I travel an hour out of town to groom, she spends the day in my car while I'm grooming (out for lunch etc though!) and she just sleeps (same as she does if left at home in the crate, but no lunch break then!) I totally trust her in the car for any length of time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My little Rio sits in the back of our wagon. We have a blanket and some toys for him and he does great! We thought we would have to get a net or something, but he's just been a wonderful traveler, I'm sure it's not going to be needed. Proud Momma, yes.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have a Honda CRV...I have 2 200 crates in the back which the Cavaliers usually ride in ... I have a 3rd 200 crate in the back seat for Flyer and Riley (lab) is loose in the other 1/2 of the back seat although at 12 it is getting harder for him to get in and get comfortable in that small of space so if I need more room in the back seat or for shorter rides the Cavs can double up and Flyer goes in the back too

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
They are in the back and I have a dog guard so they can't go in the front.
Díma loves the Car she even knows the sound of our car and when we go outside and the car is in a parking lot at my parents house she runs straight to our car and waits behind it. I don't know if it is the love of the ride or that she just wants to make sure she is not left alone at home :p
Charly is not a big car fan. He does not get sick or anything he just does not like begin in the car.
But he is getting more used to it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Even a tiny toy poodle, unrestrained in the back of a car, could seriously damage a front seat passenger and certainly be killed, in the event of an accident. So we either have the girls on seat belts or sharing a cage, strapped on the back seat. They would dearly love to ride in the front, but we have air bags and again they could seriously harm any dog. When we're at the stables, the girls are free to go where they want to in the car - usually the driving seat.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My guys are in the back seat of my Caliber on a hammock seat cover. it has the holes for seat belts and bad me doesn't use them
After seeing Marcus bolt from car and is missing I should probably get another dog belt since my guys are looking like they want to bolt if they know we are at the dog park.
Accidents happen I guess

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The poodles Olie and Suri are much better in the car then my Poms...... They prefer the back seat. Suri will sit or lay down not problems what so ever. Olie is learning but for the most part he will sit and lay and honestly I really did not "train" them to do this, they just fell right into place.

My Poms did fantastic on a 9 hours trip tp PA in August - but they do move around a bit. And Coco wimpers until he settles in. Mine are not in safety belt although they all have them.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
My guys have travelled all over the country with me to dog shows. My van has all their crates bolted to each other so they can't move. They LOVE riding in the van. Vinnie's crate is on top of Frank's and Betty's, so he has a room with a view. He is so nosey... he always lays down, but if we are in town and stop at a light, he gets up and stares at the people next to us. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Some vehicles will let you turn the airbag off if someone "little" rides in the front seat (or some are automatic). My van has front and side curtain airbags and there is no way to turn them off.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My car's passenger side front seat has the airbag on/off sensor, so Teddy rides in a doggie car seat that sits up high enough for him to look around.

I want you all to read this carefully: I learned a valuable lesson one day when a stupid woman went through her stop sign in front of me, and then, apparently, she realized her mistake and slammed on her brakes in the MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING INTERSECTION, which completely threw off my timing (which I had adjusted to avoid hitting her without slamming on my brakes and putting me and Teddy through the windshield). Poor Teddy got thrown from his car seat, and fortunately because we weren't going very fast, he just got flipped over onto the floor. So he wasn't hurt and only mildly shaken up, but it was a very valuable lesson for me. You may be a good driver, but you're not the only driver on the road. If you love them, please make sure your babies are secured in their seats!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Midge usually wears a seatbelt between the two kids' carseats in the backseat. We do have a cargo cage if we want her to ride in the trunk. When we get our new big car at the end of the year, we'll probably put her crate back there to ride in instead, as she's getting older and it's hard for her to get in and out like she used to. For the new puppy, we will probably get him a seatbelt harness as well.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TQ and the poodle have both made the 12 hour (only one way!) trip to visit family several times. The first time I ever made it, I only had TQ, and she was crated. A horrible experience for us both. On the way back, I let her loose in the car and she would either sit shotgun or in my lap.

She's filled out now, so too big to be a lap baby anymore, as well as I have grown up and learned much more about their safety.

All of our dogs have seat belts now, even Perry. They get buckled in and just lay down for the ride. If I am going to my mom's house with them, I usually just let TQ ride where she likes, and Perry always chooses my lap. Not the safest, but it is a 5 minute drive.

We, like Marian, have had our close calls, and I can't tell you how many times TQ has hit the dash. When we are being unsafe and this happens, I usually pull "the mom move" and throw my arm across her to keep her from flying forward.

But yeah, all in all, the have seat belts and use them. I have also found that if you're in a pinch, a harness and a carabiner work as well. No padding, but better than nothing!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I do the mom thing with my arm too. LOL!

One cute thing that has kind of accidentally happened is that Teddy knows to brace himself when I say, "Hang on!" because it means we are turning or going around a curve. He's such a good little shotgun rider.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I drive a diesel Excursion that I call my poomobile They have the back end with all seats down. If I am hauling a sick injured or very young dog we use crates.Unless of course Rojo decides to drive :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts