Poodle Forum banner

What is this on moose?

9K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  Pamela 
#1 ·
So about a week ago moose had a much smaller version of this on his leg (a different one, in a different place)... we figured it was from running into a stick while he's running as sometimes when I take him for a run he is clumsy, and he reaches speeds of 25mph, so bumping a twig scratches him sometimes. Anyway, that smaller lump looked identical, just not so big, and it went away after a few days.

We just found this one yesterday, and it's more in his arm pit, highly unlikely he ran into a twig due to the positioning... it was just a lump yesterday, but today he's found it himself and has been licking at it, and it's started to ooze, like an open wound.

Spider bite?

Or just another scrape, maybe from climbing over trees, and branches, and exploring???

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Had to google this as I haven't heard it called this.. we just say the weeds that stick to the dogs. We are starting to get some I think, I`ll re-investigate the area. (On moose). And then I`ll get trimmers and clear up.

it is a bit hard to see but it looks a little bit raised? Perhaps it's a bite or sting of some sort? You said this is the second one right and the other one was also on the leg? Perhaps he angered some insect? Poor thing.

Doesn't look like an abscess.... there is no hole when you look at it right? Just like a raw ozzy look?
Yeah, raw and oozy, it was just a hard bump yesterday, today it was raw and oozy... my guess from him licking it.

It's raised about 1/2" its a BIG feeling bump thats for sure.

#4 ·
it is a bit hard to see but it looks a little bit raised? Perhaps it's a bite or sting of some sort? You said this is the second one right and the other one was also on the leg? Perhaps he angered some insect? Poor thing.

Doesn't look like an abscess.... there is no hole when you look at it right? Just like a raw ozzy look?

#7 ·
Grabbed the macro lens. Hard to take this shot since I have to man the camera and make sure he's not covering the spot... these are the best I could get.

As far as I could tell... no rings, no hole, no nothing really. Just raw / open scab type deal.

Attachments

#11 ·
Grass seeds do this too Todd. I forms as a lump, the whole gets bigger. You wont be able to get it out yourself if it is a grass seed cause you cant see the head of it. Why do they call them sticks there when they are heads of grass seed.

I have seen alot of this and the amount of puss that comes out too is pretty bad.

#15 ·
Very common occurrance here in Oz :(

Ive been fortunate so far only having one dog get it in the ear and when he shook his head I noticed it was still connected to the grass so was able to pull it out gently. Its not just fields like its says on the links, if your backyard gets out of hand and the grass grows high, the tops get them seeds and they are in the dog in no time. Ive seen them all over dogs bodies, being a groomer here, especially one poor cocker spaniel that was matted. I had to clip him to the skin cause the matts were that tight, got to his chest and all this puss was stuck to the hair and chest. I couldnt finish him as he was in pain. Managed to get heaps out of the body that were almost all the way in, god they make a mess.

#20 ·
WOW Siv, I have never heard or seen that before and I have had dogs since I was a kid. I wonder if that is at all prevalent around here or not?? I have never even heard of it nor have had my vet speak of it. I will have to ask my vet next time I see her if this is something that she sees very much of here. Thanks for the info!!

TODD... it surely sounds like some sort of abscess, that squishy, ball feeling inside the area sounds like pus. It could be just about anything that jabbed him when he was running and caused a wound that healed over before it healed up, but most likely something inside that the body is trying to get rid of. Now that I read Siv's info, that would make me concerned. I would definitely go see the vet on this issue, even if it is not as dangerous a thing as grass seed, it most likely should be lanced open and cared for.
BEST to your poor boy! Hope to hear good news on this soon!!!

#24 ·
OMG, Im so glad that you guys brought the grass seeds to attention. Im sorry for Moose by the way and hope its nothing major. Definately get him checked out though.

Those sticker weeds (what I call them) or grass seeds are very common to see here in California. They are everywhere and I never realized they could pose such a illness. Again, thanks for bringing that up and the additional info and link was great.

Again, hope Moose is well and let us know owhat becomes of his wound. I'll be keeping the dogs leased when Im walking our neighborhood trail now. There all over the place.

#25 ·
Yeah, thats what we call them.

He's feeling fine. I`m going down to the petsmart on Thursday to get him groomed and will ask their vet when I`m there if they have any idea. I have a feeling on Thur it will be tiny, and or gone though.. it would appear as if he jabbed himself with a stick whiler unning again, l o l.

We have a lot more than I thought, I mean, not a lot based on total amount of land they COULD occupy, but they are near the garage where he likes to run.

Now that I got my chainsaw fixed I may do some yard work then rent a tractor adn clean the stickers up, and the rest of the yeard.

Oh what fun.

#29 ·
I don't know what it is called-but my 16yr toy poodle had something similar and we took him to the animal hospital (they always get sick on Sunday night where it costs a fortune just to walk in the door as it is 24hr)-he had chewed on it and made it bloody. hey cleaned it and gave us an antibiotic to give him. It may have been that sebaceous adenitis-I can't remember. But it closed and healed. You may want to get it checked at the vet.

#33 ·
Oh ya...having lived in many arid places it is common, very, even on short haired dogs..especially in the ear,..foxtails...hate em..them and thistle..the only thing you can do is check the dog after they've been out in a field or brush, along their legs, bellies, ears, head...and maybe even brush them out to be safe...those things are nasty..they are more common in arid places...

#36 ·
Taking him to the vet tomorrow.

The groomers thought it could be a foxtail but were not 100%, they also suggested taking him in. By the time I called the vet (since we took to a new groomer) they were closed!! Blasted.

Grooming pics soon in other thread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.