Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hearing what the base of you dog food is and your opinion of it. I've fed mostly lamb and rice over the years and like it okay. I recently had to buy Chicken based food in a pinch and honestly Harley seemed to fill out a little more on it. (He's always been on the thin side.) The food itself smelled to high heavens though. I've always been told that lamb was healthier, but I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Currently we're on Lamb and Rice. Midge gets the NASTIEST gas when she eats food with chicken as the main meat source. I'm going to go check out PETCO this weekend to see what they have besides Blue Buffalo, I know they have wellness, but I want to see if they have Origen in store.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Harley had gas on the chicken based food, but it could've been from the food switch. I just don't know and he wasn't on it long enough to adjust. I really couldn't stand the smell, lol.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I rotate, every time I pick up Stella and Chewy's (raw patties) for Flip, I get a different one. We've had Duck and Goose, Lamb, Chicken and Beef. I give him Orijen Large Breed Puppy kibble in the evening, and that has chicken, turkey and a few different varieties of fish.

I have been told (but am trying to find out for myself) that the more you rotate protein sources the better their immune system and tolerence for change becomes.

(again, forgive me if I have a ton of typos or run on sentences, I still have a nasty fever).

I think eventually I would like to go full out raw (not just patties but bone and all), but first we'll have to buy a chest freezer for our basement.

And Flip pretty much never has gas. :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would first have to actually get a basement. :D

Teddy let one rip this morning in the car. Sometimes I can convince myself it's just the lovely smell of NJ. LOL

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would first have to actually get a basement. :D

Teddy let one rip this morning in the car. Sometimes I can convince myself it's just the lovely smell of NJ. LOL
What!? Surely little teddy is too cute to fart!! <3

I can't believe a stink coming from that little sweet teddy bear.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We usually feed chicken at our house... ProblemChild has a really sensitive tummy (how's that for irony?). He can't handle lamb, and beef is only a little better on him.

None of the other dogs have a food allergy except him. Well... that we know of. TheFiance had a giant, ridiculous, full work up done on PC only to find that he has nearly every allergy under the sun. Some cattle dog he is! lol

My mom feeds kibble with the occasional day of raw mixed in (to be honest, she is too busy and spacey to feed raw all the time... so it is a special meal for the greyhounds when she gives them raw that day)... she tends to feed more chicken than beef, but we have also noticed the dogs prefer the chicken to the beef. They seem to enjoy the bones more from the chicken. (She doesn't feed a specific food plan for raw... but I can almost 99.98% say that she will NEVER feed venison, rabbit, or fish. We aren't that adventurous!)

·
Registered
109 Posts
My two are on a Herring and Sweet Potato formula and we are so thrilled with it. Its been very good for both of them, especially Zachary. (We feed California Naturals)

The only downside to the food is it has a very fishy smell to it

·
Registered
232 Posts
One is Lamb and Rice and the other is Salmon and Sweet Potato. Both dogs have beautiful silky hair coats. Can't complain!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts