Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My dog slipped out of his collar at the dog park today. What harness would you recommend for the dog park that won't restrict his movements? I'm considering the Hurtta padded y harness, but there are so many options and I'm overwhelmed.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Well in all honesty I like neither dog parks nor harnesses. But as I recall you don't have a private fenced space which is what takes you to the dog park. I would recommend a martingale collar or a more closely fitted flat buckle collar over a harness. You don't want there to be too many straps that another dog could get tangled in.

Reactions: elephantsneeze

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
How did your dog slip out of his collar? What kind of collar was it? Was it too loose? I can’t imagine my minipoo slipping out of her flat buckle collar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well in all honesty I like neither dog parks nor harnesses. But as I recall you don't have a private fenced space which is what takes you to the dog park. I would recommend a martingale collar or a more closely fitted flat buckle collar over a harness. You don't want there to be too many straps that another dog could get tangled in.
You have a great memory! We generally just use a gentle lead and a flat collar, but he pants so heavily by the time we leave the park that we don't use the gentle lead. He pulls a lot when we leave and I'm very worried about injuring his neck. I see a lot of other dog owners with simple harnesses so I thought maybe we should go back to using harnesses, but the straps are a concern during his wrestling sessions.

We used a martingale collar when he was 4 months, but he pulls so much that it didn't deter him.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did your dog slip out of his collar? What kind of collar was it? Was it too loose? I can’t imagine my minipoo slipping out of her flat buckle collar.
It was a flat collar. He was wrestling with another dog and it slipped off. I think it was because I forgot to tighten it after grooming him.

·
Premium Member
23,241 Posts
Since a martingale is a limited slip collar it is much much harder for a dog to hurt himself. I wish you didn't need the dog park since I suspect the pulling could be trained away more easily if you didn't use it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since a martingale is a limited slip collar it is much much harder for a dog to hurt himself. I wish you didn't need the dog park since I suspect the pulling could be trained away more easily if you didn't use it.
I'll pick up a martingale collar tomorrow, and hold off on the harness for now.

Since we started beginner's obedience, we've really focused on heel and loose leash walking. He is much better on our walks and I'm now able to take him around the block on just the flat collar with minimal pulling. There has also been some improvement on the short walk from the car to the dog park. When we leave the park, he is so exhausted that he can't focus long enough to obey commands.

We will be neutering him in October or November. We're hoping he'll be less fixated on marking and other dogs by then so we can get him involved in performance sport classes to address his high energy needs. That way we won't need to go to the dog park as often and it should also help strengthen our bond with Pluto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts