Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where does a dogs fascination with balls come from? A tennis ball is the only think my shar pei, Xin, will play with and Mercury seems to be the same way mostly, although he does enjoy a nice stuffie with a squeaker from time to time. Jupiter loves balls but will try to play with everything at least once.

Mercury will fetch but will also just pick up a stationary ball and hold it in his mouth or walk around with it. What instinct draws them to balls? No prey I can think of resembles a ball (other than our hedgehog) and I've heard of wolf pups playing with round rocks. Of course, human pups seem fascinated with balls naturally as well. What's the fascination?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
That's a good, finger on the chin wonder..........but your right, balls are bliss to the furry guys.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I think it's because of the shape, mostly. Easy to pick up or push around. They move easily, and make it easy for the dog to play by himself. With balls, they just don't need anyone else. Teddy picks up his little ball, tosses it across the room and runs after it. I feel so left out. ;)

And, after all, balls are a man's best friend, right? :lol:

·
Registered
232 Posts
PlumCrazy you are right, Girl!!!

My Shorkie LOVES his Planet Earth balls. (I had to spring for those because he would DESTROY a tennis ball in a minute flat. So far he hasn't been able to destroy the Planet Earth balls!) He carries them around and plays fetch non stop if we would let him. Gentry is learning, but would rather rip apart a stuffy or just carry the ball.

We had a mutt a few years ago that LOVED her tennis balls. We would open up a container and give them to her all at one time. It was so funny watching her try to put all those balls in her mouth :)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Oh too true! My Hubby watched my Andalusian get gelded last spring and his face actually turned white. He got a little faint and had to hang onto the fence :) lol My Mom got a kick out of that!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
[Thats too funny.QUOTE=Mercury's Mom;61867]He he, with guys I think its just anything round and bouncy :)[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
1,072 Posts
The barn dogs adore equine sized Jolly Balls. Even the little terriers run around with them, and the Jolly Ball probably weighs almost as much as the terrier! We just got the gang a new one a week or two ago. (Someone had chewed the handle off the old one.) I love the fact that they are huge and brightly colored. You can generally see them in time to avoid sucking them up in the snowblower. It's really aggravating to have to go searching for a shear pin because the snowblower ate a Kong toy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts