Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start grooming my mini and am trying to figure out the clipper to use.

In the summer, my groomer currently uses a 5 on his body and a 10 on his face and feet. I also have a Wahl Bravmini that I use to touch up his feet and sanitary.

For a bigger clipper, is it better to by a 5 or 4 blade or use steel attachments? I would buy a 10, 7, 5 and 4 blade. Or there are attachment sets?

TIA

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and obviously I am a beginner so i don't know if that makes a difference.

I already have a dryer but I am not sure why I need it to groom.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Many of us have the Wahl Bravura full size with the adjustable blade and use the metal attachment combs over the blade to set the hair length.

Using a hv dryer to dry the hair also straightens it allowing the clipper with combs attached to glide through the hair and give you a smoother cut.

You might want to check out youtube videos by Sue Zecco and Jay Scruggs on grooming poodles. They are very helpful

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I agree with Viking Queen. Everything I know about grooming I learned from Sue Zecco on Youtube. Watch those Super Styling Sessions videos and you'll be amazed by how helpful they are.

I use a Bravura clipper with metal clipper combs for Noelle and I love it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Metal blades are going to give you a “smoother” look and they are much easier to use if your dog has super thick hair or any matts. If you use an hv dryer and your poodle has correct poodle hair then the attachment combs can give you a smooth finish though. I would recommend that if you do get a regular clipper and you like your pup done in a 5, get a 1 blade or a 3 blade and use them in reverse. And you can use a 5 on the places that you can’t do in reverse. (The length will be very similar with a 5 with the grain, and a 1 or 3 against. A 3 against will be slightly shorter.) Hope this helps.

For just grooming one dog, it is reasonable to just get the attachment combs but if you do that, get several blades to go underneath them because they heat up very quick and will need to be changed out often. I personally would have 3 blades to rotate out if you want to go straight through. That way the first blade can be completely cooled by the time you finish with the 3rd blade and you can continue to rotate them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I guess I am really old school - I have an Oster and an Andis (both have cords). I use the Andis most of the time. Both have detachable blades. I use a 15 on the belly and either a 30 or a 40 on face/feet/tail. If a dog is in a pet clip I use a 5 or a 7 on the body. I have sometimes used a 10 on the body in the summer if the dog has a really dense coat. I do not have any attachments - I'd rather use blades.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i have the wahl bravura with plastic combs since it came with it. i have no issues with it, but then again i have never tried the steel combs so nothing to compare it too. i use mostly a 40 with a 9 or 12mm comb attached to it for his body. in summer, i take it down to a 6 mm.

the bravmini is priceless for me, its so easy now to do his paws. i dont really use it for sanitary since i find i might knick him since it comes with just a 30 blade. i use my bravura for that and also for his face.

when you bath him, you blow dry with your dryer so its easier to groom straight hair than curly hair, its more even. also they dry much much faster with a HV dryer as oppose to a human hair dryer.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I have the Wahl Arcomini (similar to Bravmini) which I love for my mini's feet - it's a game changer for me. Finally I can be proud of my dog's poodle feet. I struggled using a full size trimmer for feet. Wish I had one years ago with I groomed our tpoo.

I prefer my regular size Wahl Bravura for sanitary and face - I cant imagine using a Bravmini on a minipoo. I guess it's what you get used to using.

I must be in the minority - I have the metal guides for my Wahl Bravura trimmer and find that they don't work well with my dog's thick fur. I prefer using the heavy Andis clippers with a blade.

I do all my poodle's grooming myself and use the 2 trimmers (Wahl Arcomini and Bravura) and clippers (Andis) once or twice a month and couldn't groom without all 3. However if you don't want to spend a lot of money, I would start with buying the Wahl Bravura with metal guides. If they work then you don't need to purchase anything else. If they don't work, you can use them for face and sanitary and buy clippers with blades.

I use a high velocity blowdryer after each bath to straighten my dogs hair before cutting any hair. If you don't straight the hair before cutting, you won't be able to cut the hair the same length. When you straighten their hair, it's much easier to comb and brush.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts