Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is a good anti pulling harness to buy?

My sister has the easy walk and it works great but it rubs on the dogs sides, even when put on loosely and greats small gashes. I am hoping to find something with padding in that problem area.

Someone recommended the Julius k9 to me, and it looks very nicely padded, but maybe a big too lightly on the sides. Also, I cant find anything about those harnesses being anti-pull specifically.

What are your recommendations?

Thank you,

Tifamaroo & Meek

·
Registered
286 Posts
2 Hounds Design Freedom No Pull Dog Harness & Leash

has soft padding that goes underneath
using the leash with both clips on really helps & makes it much easier to decrease the pulling plus is easier on you.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I am pretty skeptical about no pull harnesses. As you have experienced they can be harmful through rubbing and also if they really restrict movement. I put harnesses on all of our dogs for safety during vehicle travel, but not for not pulling.

Especially on a growing puppy I would not use a no pull harness I would spend the training time to teach the pup to walk politely. Start with attention games and make sure the pup finds you more interesting than most distractions then start on leash manners in a serious way. It took a long time to be able to walk Lily without her pulling and we never went much further than the driveway two houses away since I always either stopped dead or turned around to convey to her that she wasn't going to control our direction or pace.

Reactions: MerrysSarah

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have never used a harness on a dog, just a collar. I agree with Catherine that it is best to teach the dog to walk without pulling. The exceptions to this are tracking and pulling a cart or sledge.

The trick to teaching a dog not to pull is to learn how to use a little jerk - and it is, indeed, a skill. You are not trying to jerk the dog back into position, you just want to remind him/her that pulling is not appropriate. Turning around and going in the other direction or just stopping work the same way.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Johanna both of my poodles know they can pull like sled dogs in the Iditarod if they are wearing their tracking harnesses, but that they have to be polite on leashes and collars. Part of why I generally stopped or turned around was so that I didn't have to give leash pops but rather that when the pup I was with ran out of rope so to speak they got the correction perfectly timed when leash leash went taught and their forward momentum put pressure on the collar.

Reactions: MerrysSarah

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
My dogs know how to heel very well. However, if I want to walk my dogs to get coffee, I don't want to spend time training them; I just want to get there without a struggle. So, that's where the harnesses come in handy.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
I don't disagree with you ZM that sometimes you just need to keep things moving, but I don't necessarily walk in my neighborhood unless I can invest and will invest in making it a training/thinking walk. Getting coffee isn't walking distance for us anyway. ;)

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
My dog has never worn a harness. I do have a 2 hounds harness left over from our boxer. It is very well made and they will help you size it properly. It is well padded. However I don't think its an answer to pulling. While it helps it did not teach anything to our boxer. We ended up with a prong collar and that did the trick so thats what I did with Renn, especially since he had no qualms about leaping and pulling at the same time and I didn't want my face on the pavement. (bad knees, ankles) Both dogs now have an excellent heel. The boxer can now be walked on a flat collar (4 years old). Renn will be 11 months and still wears his prong more for my safety, just in case he has a moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts