Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay everyone talked about the need to socialize before 12 weeks? What if the breeder has a pup that is left over? Is this a bad pup to get because the fear factor and socialization has been stymied?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
12 weeks is not too old, especially if the breeder has started the socialization process. You would still have several weeks in the socialization window. But I would want to know why this pup was the last to find a home--was it held back, does it have some undesirable issue, etc.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You still have time at 12 weeks. Mr. Layne was born on 2/24 & we got him on 6/12. He was 15 weeks of age. I am a professional dog trainer & a lifetime dog handler. So I have the skills to visit a litter & see the writing on the wall. If I go there & the pups are steady, they're not bothered by new people, not bothered by things that a socialized dog isn't bothered by, then okay. If the pups are shy, skittish, avoiding new people... ride on. If I ever got another Poodle, I would only buy from someone who grooms their puppies & works with them prior to going to their new homes. I am spoiled by how well Mr. Layne's breeder did. Very spoiled...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts