Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a bit behind on grooming Raffi, but finally got to it yesterday.
I had been feeling like his whole head was too... hairy, what with his dreaded (is that a word?) top knot plus moustache plus long ears. And his face was getting fuzzy. The rest of him was also kinda shaggy, which didn't help matters- he was a giant, fuzzy, dirt-attracting hairball.
I'm not ready to get rid of his dreads, so... I shaved his ears 馃槶 and now I kinda regret it. My daughter said he looked "hideous". She's nine and seems to be her go-to description for anything she doesn't like. The other kids are also not impressed, and can't believe I cut his lovely silky ears.
I keep telling them, and myself, it will grow back.

Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
Ha, I wouldn't dare share pics of some of clips I've given my dogs over the years! One time, Zulu's groomer pulled me aside and asked me to stop clipping him because it reflected badly on her. (I went through a phase where I scissored his top knot into a mohawk.) Ouch! Anyway, it's just hair and it will grow back!

Registered
I honestly, really, truly, like it! I think he looks handsome.

Registered
The only difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is a couple of weeks ;-)
that鈥檚 so true.

I think the real problem is the contrast between his head鈥榮 style and his body. There鈥檚 a disconnect. The head is wild and funky while the body is more classic refined poodle. It doesn鈥檛 matter though because Raffi doesn鈥檛 know and doesn鈥檛 care.

Super Moderator
Yeah, I was thinking that if you slap sunglasses on him, he'd get any party started. 馃槃 He even has a gold chain!
Haha! Love it! Raffi is now the official poodle party mascot for St. Patrick鈥檚 Day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I honestly, really, truly, like it! I think he looks handsome.
Thank you! I think I am starting to like it now, it was just such a shock! I think it's more masculine too.

that鈥檚 so true.

I think the real problem is the contrast between his head鈥榮 style and his body. There鈥檚 a disconnect. The head is wild and funky while the body is more classic refined poodle. It doesn鈥檛 matter though because Raffi doesn鈥檛 know and doesn鈥檛 care.
Good point. Granted, I only did the short parts (head, upper legs, back half) so maybe if I reduce his poms and jacket it will be better?
It's still too cold here to cut his whole body down short, but I'm not sure what else to try that would work better! Definitely not ready for dreads on his body though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! I'm getting used to it, I think he looks more alert and sporty (can something be sporty and wild/rasta at the same time?).
While I'd like to shave his face all the way, it's the one past where I bow to the wishes of the rest of the family. I took it off last summer and was told in no uncertain terms that the stache needed to make a reappearance 馃槀.
So it will stay. I think I might shorten his dreads, but OTOH I want them long enough to band....

Premium Member
If you let the locks grow they will cascade over each side looking like they frame the face. Have had no luck with bands except the loom bands which are larger and sturdier than some of the show bands. Asta's longest lock was 12" when i started the topknot challenge - I think it must be about 14" now.

Registered
Your daughter's comment gave me a laugh. I am also the mother of daughters (dragons?) and they have been known to call it like they see it. What does your daughter think would improve his look?

One thing is for sure: Raffi don't care. He is a trend setter.

Reactions: Starvt

Premium Member
Oh forgot to mention that others say he is not balanced, a disconnect from his head and his body. I look at it another way. Bob Marley had dreadlocks on his head but not on his body - lol
And just my opinion, partial cause my boy has dreads on his head too.

Reactions: Starvt
1 - 20 of 25 Posts