Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Sisko gets tired after a walk, and when we play find your rope toy multiple times a day. Looking for his rope toy seems to tire him out more than the walk. What gets your Poodles tired馃?

Registered
Renn loves to play fetch. For an at least an hour every afternoon we play fetch. In between he will lie down and take a short rest., then back to play. Once we come in he is zonked. He loves being outdoor with me.

Registered
Unfortunately not much.
Playing toys or going for a walk aren't enough.

An hour at the dog park. An hour or a few hours of off leash hiking ( I walk, she dashes through the forest). Going to my friends cottage on an island or my dads acreage and running off leash chasing chipmunks and birds all day.

Seriously, I wish I could tire this dog out more!!!

Registered
Probably only playing with other dogs. Though he will get tired quickly if it's very hot outside. He tends to get bored with biking before he reaches the point of truly being tired.

Registered
Playing with the flirt pole, soccer with the chuck it soccer ball, fetch, frisbee or a walk with lots of sniffing (if she doesn鈥檛 sniff, she comes home and will be spun). We also do games like hide and go seek, cup game, find it, and currently working on hot and cold.

The dog park also tuckers her out but not currently going there because don鈥檛 want to risk it. Puzzle toys (rather anything that makes her brain work) or training will make her nap for hours.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Biking tires Groot out very efficiently.
Probably only playing with other dogs. Though he will get tired quickly if it's very hot outside. He tends to get bored with biking before he reaches the point of truly being tired.
How did you guys get started biking? I don't have a bike(I do want one). I know with anything new it has to be introduced slowly, but I think Sisko would go crazy with going biking and would cause both of us to have a accident 馃馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
A play date or group class. It drains her body and mind.

Fetch or frisbee will tire her out physically (as in, she'll flop down and pant for a bit) but it seems to leave her mentally wired, which I hate.
Oh, man! I would love for Sisko to have playdates, but I don't know anyone.

What do you mean by mentally wire馃? What is it like?

Super Moderator
Oh, man! I would love for Sisko to have playdates, but I don't know anyone.

What do you mean by mentally wire馃? What is it like?
Jumpy. Eyes and ears on high alert.

I did some research on the subject and apparently games of fetch can spike cortisol levels (aka stress hormones), and these levels can remain elevated for days, leaving the dog on edge.

Games like "Find It," on the other hand, engage the nose and seem to have a calming effect.

Generally speaking, I've learned that "excited" isn't actually a very pleasant state for a dog to be in.

Registered
We have just played "Where's your ball" (Annie is in a stay while I hide the ball in another room, then is released to find it) for close to an hour. Now she is bugging me for her walk. I need to work on training a different scent, she's getting way too good at this game.

I think quarantine may kill me yet...

Registered
How did you guys get started biking? I don't have a bike(I do want one). I know with anything new it has to be introduced slowly, but I think Sisko would go crazy with going biking and would cause both of us to have a accident 馃馃
I use a walky-dog attachment which makes it much safer. That way if they lunge at a squirrel or something it will absorb the shock. It only took a few tries for Misha to get used to the bike. At first I just hooked him up and walked the bike around so he could see what it was about. Then I went real slow and started introducing different signals. We gradually increased duration and speed. Everybody who sees him says he's so amazingly trained and their dog could never do that, but I don't think that's true. Dogs get used to it pretty quickly.

Registered
I use a walky-dog attachment which makes it much safer. That way if they lunge at a squirrel or something it will absorb the shock. It only took a few tries for Misha to get used to the bike. At first I just hooked him up and walked the bike around so he could see what it was about. Then I went real slow and started introducing different signals. We gradually increased duration and speed. Everybody who sees him says he's so amazingly trained and their dog could never do that, but I don't think that's true. Dogs get used to it pretty quickly.
I have a Springer - I loved it when I used it for a previous dog, as it's really good to avoid transfering the force to the bike. But it doesn't fit my present bike, and I am sad.

Super Moderator
We have just played "Where's your ball" (Annie is in a stay while I hide the ball in another room, then is released to find it) for close to an hour. Now she is bugging me for her walk. I need to work on training a different scent, she's getting way too good at this game.

I think quarantine may kill me yet...
I mix it up sometimes by playing with a few different objects, letting her know which one I want her to find. And then I hide all of them.

It's cute because she'll often grab one of the "wrong" toys and carry it around with her while she continues searching.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts