Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of learning to do Roxy's grooming.

The last time I took her to the groomers, I ended up taking 4 hours off work, because my new groomer is 1/2 away and didn't accept her until 9:30 and wanted her picked up by 3:00.

So, I think my question is how I get started?

What equipment should I get to do this?

I've looked at this website: http://www.ridgewoodpoodles.com/Grooming.htm Is there any books that would be helpful?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, p

·
Registered
124 Posts
The book I learned from is Poodle clipping and Grooming, The International Reference, by Shirlee Kalstone. This book is wonderful, and she gives a lot of pointers on what to buy and her illustrations are wonderful. The book also has directions on how to wrap and band the top knot, and a section on pet poodle clips as well.
:curl-lip:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It is well worth the investment in the equipment! I groom Vinnie weekly and will probably pay for my equipment in less than a year by grooming him myself. Plus, if anything looks bad, it's my own stinkin' fault! :biggrin: I have the Kalstone book too and I highly recommend it!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
There are also the KISS series books and the Idiot's guide books that i have found for grooming lol, they are mostly all breed but they give the basics for poodles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your input. I've ordered this book on Amazon today... And I have convinced my husband that the cash out of pocket right now will payoff in the long run.

p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jackpot!

So I have started looking on Craig's List for grooming supplies and I found a groomer that was not able to continue her business. So last night I went to see what she had to offer.

I was able to purchase: Oster Golden A5 clippers with a couple blades and guards, a large grooming table with arm, and a Mero Force Air Commander (the largest one) all for $355. The items were all new and in their boxes.

So, I went on PetEdge's web page and looked to see how much this would have cost me with shipping it would ave been $565. I'm feeling pretty good about my purchases

I also talked with the handler/groomer that I have taken Roxy too. She suggested that I bring her in for every other grooming for a while. She says that lots of her clients do this, when they first start.

So, now once I get my book, I'm ready to go....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Newbie here. I came across this old thread and am wondering how you are coming along with your grooming (since I'm in the same position you were in when you first posted this). Any pictures to share?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
pmdavis, you sounded just like me when I started....if I just had this book and my dog would hold still like in the pictures, and if my dogs hair wasnt so curly like the one in the picture and if I only had that brush in the book and if I had an armload of hair products and enough electical outlets and if I didn't blow breakers every time and if I only had enough water pressure and didnt run out of warm water every time. I did didnt get soaking wet and the floors weren't beginning to buckle from puddles and if my hookup to the shower or bathtub was longer and had more pressure. With poodles, there is so much involved. You need a groomer like me who caters to working people. I open at noon and work till 8, I work every Saturday and I have Walk-In Wednesday for people who dont like sticking to appointments...just come in whenever. You just need a groomer with better hours. Your husband (the poor guy) has no IDEA what this poodle has gotten you guys into.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The book I learned from is Poodle clipping and Grooming, The International Reference, by Shirlee Kalstone...
I have several grooming books but none that focus on just poodles. I just ordered a 'like new' used one on Amazon. Thanks, acheron!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts