Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was it allergies for most, or did you go with a poodle anyways?

It was allergies for us. My dad and brothers all have allergies, so i wanted a dog that wouldnt "hinder" them. We have 2 cats, so they can obviously handle fur, but not alot. I wanted the dog to be an accepted family member, not- not allowed on furnature or in certain rooms, or couldnt be petted by all, etc. I made a list of big non-shedding dogs, and narrowed it down based on what my family could handle as first time dog owners.

The more i actually researched the poodle, the more i realized they were everything i was actually looking for in a dog. Non-shedding, intellegent, high trainability, loyal, watchdogish, size, clownish, good family pets, etc. The more i read and looked at pictures, the more i liked them! The more they became the breed i Wanted, not the breed i had to settle for!

When i told my mother i was getting another poodle she said "i though you didnt really like them and wanted a different breed". I said that was before when i didnt really know the breed. I could get whatever breed i wanted next, shedding or not, but i Want this breed. The just fit me. I am comfortable with them, and i feel like part of an "elite" club that is in on the best secret. :D I will own other breeds in the future, but a poodle (or two) will always be in the mix!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Allergies primarily for me. I'm actually slightly allergic to the PWD, but have so far had no reaction to the poodles I've met. I did the same as you - wrote down a list of all the small, non/ low shed breeds and began the research! I narrowed it down to the Havanese and the Miniature poodle. After meeting a bunch of dogs (I even attended a Havanese picnic!), the Poodle won out because I prefer the look, like its attitude and like its size. I'm sure I'll be very happy with my new pup!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I was pretty sheltered from dogs growing up, I only new cats until I was in my late teens really. I got more introduced to dogs when we moved into a house we could actually own them in.

After getting a dog (boxer pit mix) I started researching dogs more and falling in love with them. I have friends that own standards, three (that I'm currently babysitting) and COMPLETELY fell in love with them. I love toys and minis too, but not as much as I love standards.

I've been obsessed with the breed for four years now, still don't have one yet, but I still go completely gaga over them when I see them in person. I am really drawn towards them being a gun dog, and I hunt, so I'm going to train my poodle to retriever when I get him or her. :)

And I have absolutely no allergies to anyone.. at all. I DO like the nonshedding part of them, but I've even got my dad into loving the breed. If you looked at him, you would never imagine him being with a standard.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
For me it was a lot of things but yes allergies were a big factor. I am very allergic to some breeds and I needed a breed that didn't shed because I don't like a lot of dog hair in the house. I also wanted a bigger dog that was a good protector but a dog that was fun and sporty too. Harry has been all of those things. He's a very good guard dog, he's very intelligent and easy to train, and I have no allergic reaction to him at all. Oh and last but definitely not least, a dog good with children. Harry is extremely understanding with the kids and he is very protective of them.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
For me, it was the personality and intelligence. I mean, I'm not allergic and I actually really love hairy dogs (like northern breeds that blow coat) so that wasn't really a deciding factor. I didn't like the look of poodles much at first, either. Just a few here and there, but the more I read about them the more I loved them. Of course, the more pictures I looked at of poodles, the more I fell in love. ;)
They were so perfect! I would never have thought poodles were as smart and wonderful as they are.
And I love grooming things (before I had Desmond I would brush my cat like 3 times a day for fun and she would get so annoyed hahah) I initially wanted a Samoyed (and still do), and the idea of all that hair to take care of made me want them more, lol.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Purely by chance. I had grown up next door to a family who had two toy poodles at one point. The male was white and always had dark tear stains and the female, also white, was shorter and fatter. They never made me think that I wanted to get one for myself.

Fast forward a few years to different neighbors who also had two toys, one cream and one apricot. They had two little apricot puppies and she gave me one as a gift. It was then that I discovered how wonderful, intelligent and loving they are.

It was love at first sight and a relationship made in heaven (lasted longer than my marriage! lol). I can't really picture myself with any other breed.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
For me it was purely by chance.

My grandparents had just gotten a spoo puppy, after having 2 toys, and then 2 minis.
I completely fell in love with the puppy, and began more and more and more research into them. We also knew another 2 standards in another city where we went often, and the lady there rang my grandparents saying there was a spoo to a home for free. After taking on a puppy, and not being the best trainers in the world, they reluctantly said know but rang us on a Wednesday, and we had her by Friday!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
What you mean your dog's farts are nonsmelling? I want to know who your breeder is because I want one of those right away!;)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
ha ha ha , my dog was never gassy LOL - but he was fed home made food just for him !!!!! My Mom cooked his food every day - yeap - and he was worth every minute of that extra work :):):)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yeeears ago, when I lived at home, adored dogs, and researched them far too much, I did those 'what dog breed suits you' quizes online. I kept getting those blimmin standard poodles at the top of the list, or at 'worst' they'd be 2nd on the list of suitable breeds. I didn't want a poodle! Blimmin yappy hairy stupid dogs surely! lol

Fast forward to about 4 years ago when I first walked into a grooming parlour and started my passion with dog grooming, and suddenly a standard poodle didn't seem *such* a silly idea... Que researching poodles, and omg they are awesome dogs! lol. I never knew just *how* cool they really are until I actually put some effort into finding out, and then I fell in LOVE with the idea of a big ol white standard poodle. I was DETERMINED that my next dog WOULD be a standard poodle. I didn't reallyexpect it to be possible for many years, and in the mean time I lurked and joined various poodle forums and simply fell in love with them all the more.

It was a fluke Paris came along 2 and a half years ago, and it all worked out perfectly, and just over one year ago she came home to live with us for good, and will never leve. I adore her, she's all I wanted, and more. I LOVE grooming, and grooming her however I want is *bliss*.

FD

·
Registered
52 Posts
By chance, too.

I've fostered poodles.. many times. I've pulled a few from shelters that were in some really rough shape in the past. For the most part they all had great temperments even for the rough beginnings (or endings...there were lots of seiniors), They could be coverd in mats so thick, so heavy , the poo dog could hardly walk but nothing would ever stop a poodle's tail from wagging.

I love many different breeds... but I never saw myself owning a poodle.
Enter Ray-Ray...

Well now... see what happens? Sometimes they just sneak themselves right in there.:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
yeeears ago, when I lived at home, adored dogs, and researched them far too much...
LOL - I was a kid before the internet, but I used to read the dog section of the encyclopaedia obsessively. We weren't allowed to have a dog at that point, and I admit that I was a little wary of them after being bitten on the nose by a chihuahua, but I still loved them--if only from afar.

To this day, when I see a dog I just know what breed it is (with the exception of some of the rarer breeds that might not have been listed in a volume from 1970). It's a great conversation starter, because owners of more uncommon breeds get excited when someone identifies their dog correctly.

Even with mixed breeds it happens. Just Saturday I was in PetSmart and saw a dog that looked like a cross between a chihuahua and a dachshund. When I asked the couple if that's what their dog was, they both looked totally amazed. That's exactly what it was. The sight of the little guy kind of really confused my brain because it looked so much like both of those breeds, but yet not 100% like either. MY BRAAAAAAIN HURTS! LOL

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
For me, it all began with my Mom. She wanted a Spoo so badly, and my Dad was a musician who was barely ever home, and completely unreliable. My brother, who is six years older than I delivered for a drug store on a bicycle and saved his ten cents an hour wage until he could buy our Mom her first black Standard, Pixie, from By-Jo Poodles in Toronto. Unfortunately, Pixie picked up distemper from the vet's office and passed away shortly afterward. The breeder felt horrible and replaced her from the next litter she had, and Mom became the proud Mama to Penny. Penny became Mommy to Jester, who became Daddy to many others and got the breeding ball rolling for my Mom under the kennel name Cherod.

I have been involved with this glorious breed since seven years of age (forty seven years!! I cannot believe I just admitted that!!), living with them, loving them and being loved by them, grooming them, showing them, whelping them, being very involved in Juniour Showmanship -and quickly realizing that no matter what else was going on in my world, my dogs were there to show me unconditional love and acceptance. At twenty four I married a man who would not dream of having a Spoo, and we had a Shepherd, two German Shorthaired Pointers, a couple of mixed breeds and a Whippet before our marriage ended, and while I loved each and every one of them, it was never quite the same. (I have to admit though, my best human-dog experience ever was with my first Whippet Asia, a male who was completely devoted to me). Once we were apart and I was in the market for another dog, I was living with my fiance Bruce, who 100% supported my love and need for the breed. He loves them darned near as much as I do, and our Holly is his girl. She melts when she sees him. The rest is history. When I was a kid and would be teased mercilessly for being `Poodle girl`I never resented my dogs for it, rather felt sorry for the poor saps calling me names for never having the experiences I treasured with my Spoos. What an untold wealth of so many incredible things they brought to my life!! When I was eleven, I fell in love for the first time with a 22 year old handler named Garrett Lambert who I would follow around the shows pathetically (and the poor guy remained such a kind gentleman when I know what a pesky brat I must have been). At nineteen I opened up a grooming salon in Toronto called The Finishing Touch for Dogs. I got to go to the William Penn Futurity and show one of the offspring of our girl Bibelot`s Samantha Bewitched in the Brood Bitch class with Samantha and three of her progeny, and wallow with my Mom and Sam`s breeder Susan Fraser when Sam won that class over all of the varieties. I got to appear three times on the Uncle Bobby Show, a children`s show on TV based out of Toronto to talk about my Junior Showmanship successes. All of this because of this wonderful, beautiful, loyal, intelligent breed being introduced to my life by my Mother!!! I suppose I owe my brother a huge Thank YOU for being the kind of son whoo worked so hard to make our Mom happy or who knows what my life may have ended up like...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
My husbands Father raised Standard poodles So he grew up with them. After he and I married it was his suggestion that we get a Standard .so we got our first one , after that it has been downhill ever since. I am thoroughly in love with the breed.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I grew up with a Dobie and I love that breed but because I take my dogs every where, I wanted a breed that the public was not so afraid of. My husband and I had a German bred GSD. He was beautiful but he was a working machine, not a pet and he shed like a beast.

I wanted a dog that was athletic, trainable, family friendly, low to non-shedding, and one that was appropriate in its guarding behavior. Viola! The Standard Poodle.

Right now I've actually been looking for another breed because I've always wanted to show by myself in conformation (just not possible for me right now with a Standard Poodle). I can't find any breed of dog (and I know them all!) that lives up to the Poodle.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My Dad and sister are allergic to shedding animals, so when we decided to foster puppies for dog guides of canada, we were limited to fostering standard poodles. I wasn't ever overly interested in the breed, even when we got poodle foster pup Matrix. Soon after Matrix settled in however, I knew I HAD to do some research because this bouncy, rough and tumble puppy couldn't POSSIBLY be typical of poodles. :p Well I fell in love with the crazy boy and the poodle personality. I love how versatile they are, and that they don't shed :) I never thought I was a "poodle person" until I realized everything I LOVE in a dog, is what a poodle represents.
I look forward to many more years with my boys and future standard poodles.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So show the poodle !
I'm extremely competitive and I want my dogs to look their very best when they go into the ring. I see the way most owner/handler Poodles look and I know how I groom. It is not acceptable to me to have my dogs presented that way.

I'll stick to showing them personally in Obedience where I know I do a good job.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts