Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 13-week old spoo seems to have started teething. His nipping is decreasing (thanks to many tips from other posts on this site) but he is chewing all day long. He doesn’t like any of the Nylabones that I’ve bought him. He will chew on the Petstages Dogwood sticks when inside. He makes a dash for any stick or bark when outside and seems to love a piece of gravel from our driveway (which we take away).
My questions: what do your teething puppies like to chew on and does anyone else have a puppy that actually tries to chew and swallow gravel (we’re seriously weirded out by this)? Thanks!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, some dogs do chew on rocks! You have to be very careful, because they can easily break teeth. I would try some yak cheese, and if it is too hard for your pup then put it in the microwave and "pop" it; or a bully stick, or a knuckle bone or kneecap. No marrow bones because they are too hard and again can break teeth.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Some people swear by peanut butter or another tasty filling smeared on and inside a Kong. Neither Snarky nor Pogo much cared for Kongs, so I didn't try them with Galen. I got a lot of mileage out of of spring water bottles (all my dogs loved the crinkly texture) and rubber Chuck-it balls.

And yeah, sometimes dogs go crazy for rocks. Pogo almost didn't get neutered on time, because he puked up a rock when they were trying to administer the anesthesia.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Basil's occasionally gnawed on small pebbles around grandmas walking path. I thought that she thought they looked like her treats.. Maybe the size of a cooked garbanzo bean. I just popped them out of her mouth with a thumb and redirected with a toy. She's 27 weeks old now and hasn't had interest in them since ~20 weeks.

Basil started to loose her baby teeth between 14-20 weeks, so I'm willing to bet you're pups going to have the front teeth missing soon if not already happening.

During this stage I was giving Basil a steady supply of puppy sized kongs filled with shredded chicken, twice daily. I could fit 1/2 a chicken thigh in each. Something I prepared in the morning and gave as in-between meals as snacks and to keep her entertained. I tried to give her soft wood tree sticks like fig branches from grandma's backyard, higher mosture bully sticks, plush stuffed animals to chew.. the occasional paper toilet roll that lasts 30 seconds and comes with a mess.

the idea was that they weren't 100% solid hard. We tried our best to avoid tug. We tried our best to keep her mouth preoccupied.

Yeah, teething is a phase, teething and potty training. Around 22-24 weeks you get a breather when teething done and puppys bladder is all-night strong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Penny is only 12 weeks so teething isn't in full swing yet, but so far she loves gnawing on her rope toys and a rubber teething ring with little rubber spikes all over it. She also chews on a couple plush toys with crinkly plastic and squeakers inside, but that usually just riles her up to play. If I want her to settle down and chew, a rope toy or the teething ring has worked great so far!

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Peggy loved bully sticks, but they get so slimy. I started giving her Himalayan yak cheese and she was hooked. She still chews it every day.

One of many brands we buy: Bones & Chews Himalayan Cheese Value Pack Dog Treats, 1-lb bag - Chewy.com

The price does tend to fluctuate (maybe with availability), so stock up if your spoo likes them and you see a good deal. I've gotten them for slightly less, but $1 - $2 per ounce is normal these days.

When they get dangerously short, pop them in the microwave for a minute or so (watching to ensure it doesn't burn) and then cool. Peggy waits by the freezer until it's ready! This process creates a crunchy little puff that can be easily consumed.

Keep in mind that teething puppies seem to crave a variety of textures. Peggy liked frozen Kongs (especially the tire) with a bit of peanut butter, banana, and/or apple. She also loved shredding cardboard.

·
Super Moderator
1,811 Posts
Years ago our mutt pup sisters loved chewing on carrots. I used to have a cute picture of one girl running along full speed with her carrot clenched between her jaws & pointing straight forward like a lance. Her pesky sister had grabbed her tail and was being towed along, the sister's tail streaming out behind at the exact same size and angle as the carrot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Himalayan yak cheese is a huge hit! We also got a new rope pull toy that we all enjoy. Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I’m relieved to know that the gravel chewing isn’t unusual.

·
Registered
291 Posts
get lots of wash cloths (we had a dozen), get them wet, twist them & put in the freezer. That will feel good on the gums & help with the teething.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
The Himalayan yak cheese is a huge hit! We also got a new rope pull toy that we all enjoy. Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. I’m relieved to know that the gravel chewing isn’t unusual.
Hooray!

As for rocks and gravel....these held a lot of allure for Peggy, too. One of her puppy friends required emergency surgery to have them removed from his belly. He then had a bad psychological reaction to over-prescribed meds and has never been the same since. It's a devastating story.

So yes, keep taking them away, but careful how you do it. Use it as an opportunity for happy trading. Otherwise you might end up with a poodle who anxiously gulps forbidden items. (Speaking from experience.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts