Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Annie at 10 months, she's outgrown her flat collar and martingale, and I want to get her a (not front loop) harness for (eventually) biking and hiking with me. But sizing is frustrating!!!!!

Annie is a spoo with a 14.5" neck, and approx. 50 lbs.

The martingale she is currently wearing is too big - I tried one size smaller on her, it was too small,so I grabbed the one size bigger on clearance, without checking. All the others I have tried since have the same issue.

I bought her a walking harness because she has kennel cough and the collar was hurting her throat when I take her out. It's too big in the chest, and yet, the chest plate is already a bit small,and touches the back of her legs.

If you use a martingale or a harness, what brand/style and size do you have and like? Both inexpensive and not-so inexpensive options welcome :)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I like the design of the freedom harness made by 2hounds. https://www.2houndsdesign.com
It has both the back and front clip so you have option. Their customer service dept is great at helping you size. We had one for our boxer but I do not use one for our poodle. No special reason just had no need. I'm sure others that actually us a harness can give you better advice but just thought I would put this out there as the customer service dept. impressed me.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This question has gotten much more important as of 30 min ago...

Annie is feeling MUCH better. I took her out for her evening bathroom break/walk of the alleyways behind the houses. She immediately tied herself around a tree one house over and backed herself free of her harness. "I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeee........ let's RUNNNNNNNNN!!!!" I could almost hear her call as she bounded, ears back, coughing all the way down the road. She turned, black dog in the night on the dimly lit street, with a flash of white poodley grin to see if I was coming.

Her off-leash recall has been terrible for the last few weeks (we are working on it with a long line, but i wasn't going to test it tonight), so I told her "wrong way" and went the other direction, and got her into the alley and we did some "wrong way/this way" practice in the branching alleys until she decided she didn't know what direction we were going, and needed to stay close (I also had treats, which helped). We did sit/down practice, and then I took the leash and fastened it as a choke collar around her neck. Then we went for a longer walk, with her hacking all the way from the pressure of her improvised snug choke, as a reward for her returning.

So yeah, any good suggestions for harnesses and martingales that fit spoos GREATLY appreciated (she used to do this with flat collars, and has done this once with her current too-big martingale too).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts