Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
14,436 Posts
In our puppy classes, I quickly realized Peggy couldn't tolerate the same repetition other breeds did. 2-3 times and she was ready to move on.

Fighting this is futile, like forcing a gifted human student to learn at the same pace as her peers. Plus, it can really backfire. You don't want to extinguish your poodle's love of learning.

So, as a puppy, Peggy's training sessions were about 30 seconds long, multiple times a day. In her training classes, we'd do a few reps and then increase the difficulty, move on to something else, or just let her observe.

That's another thing about poodles: They love to observe and they love to be an active part of your life: We narrate while we do laundry; we let her put her nose in the tool box; we show her how our bicycles work; we let her carry the mail. The most mundane aspects of your life will be absolutely fascinating to your poodle!

Poodles are not only one of the smartest breeds, they are exquisitely sensitive. Letting them really process the world around them, especially during those critical puppy months, builds their confidence and better equips them to tackle whatever comes their way.

·
Administrator
14,436 Posts
P.S. Peggy has learned some tricks in seconds. Show me another breed that can do that! I think they have a remarkable capacity for language. It's a little eerie sometimes. But also it's that sensitivity... They're always, always reading us. Don't ever lie to your poodle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.