Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found a female chocolate standard that really sounds like a sweetheart. She will be 5 months in a week. The breeder sent me pics of her, she is still wet from her bath, the breeder is going to send some of her dried and fluffed. The breeder is in the process of moving into a new home with lots of acreage (as you can see in the pic of the dog laying down, there is nothing yet in their new home), they were moving furniture yesterday when she took the pics so took some quick ones for me and is going to send me more today.

Anyway here she is.. the first pic is of her as a younger puppy...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

She is supposed to have a wonderful temperament and loves to be with people and snuggle. She does appear to have pretty light eyes, though.

Anyway, she is a long drive (10 hrs) away so I was wondering what more experienced poodle people thought. She sounds great in personality for the nursing home work I want to do with her, but am wondering if the eye color is a major problem?

Her mom goes back starting at her grandparents to a lot of Wes***, Durandel & Pinafore Ch's., especially Ch. Signature on File at Pinafore who is 5 times in the pup's mom's six generation pedigree. And three times in the pup's dad's 6 generation pedigree.

I love her very deep reddish brown color!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
She's really cute and probably more so dryed. I think she maybe a Cafe Lait in color and will turn lighter as she matures. I say that because the muzzle is lighter and nose is more liver and the lighter eyes. Being Cafe is not a bad thing at all just something to expect.

Are you looking for a show potential too or just a good companion/therapy dog. I think your right about the pedigree....good lines behind her. That always make me feel better regardless of a pet or show dog. I think she's pretty and is going to look like doll all dryed and fluffed up.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's really cute and probably more so dryed. I think she maybe a Cafe Lait in color and will turn lighter as she matures. I say that because the muzzle is lighter and nose is more liver and the lighter eyes. Being Cafe is not a bad thing at all just something to expect.

Are you looking for a show potential too or just a good companion/therapy dog. I think your right about the pedigree....good lines behind her. That always make me feel better regardless of a pet or show dog. I think she's pretty and is going to look like doll all dryed and fluffed up.
I am not planning on showing in the show ring but in AKC obedience trials, poss. agility, as well as taking to nursing homes and hospitals and horse back riding but also for future breeding after her OFA and other tests are done. So, I want to, obviously, start with good quality as well as excellent temperament/personality. I don't want to breed anything that has serious/obvious faults, whether it be in form or in temperament. So, I was curious if the eye color was a serious problem as it states the eyes should be amber and these are a bit on the light side.

And, thank you for the pics... very helpful. I have been studying everything to do with standard poodles for months now and bought two books on them, but I cannot believe how hard it is to find decent photos of adult Cafe's, silver beige and adult browns that have faded, as they say they all do. To find pics of puppy to adult pics is not easy..lol. Much easier to find black or white puppy to adult pics. :) I really like his adult color a lot!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am not planning on showing in the show ring but in AKC obedience trials, poss. agility, as well as taking to nursing homes and hospitals and horse back riding but also for future breeding after her OFA and other tests are done. So, I want to, obviously, start with good quality as well as excellent temperament/personality. I don't want to breed anything that has serious/obvious faults, whether it be in form or in temperament. So, I was curious if the eye color was a serious problem as it states the eyes should be amber and these are a bit on the light side.

And, thank you for the pics... very helpful. I have been studying everything to do with standard poodles for months now and bought two books on them, but I cannot believe how hard it is to find decent photos of adult Cafe's, silver beige and adult browns that have faded, as they say they all do. To find pics of puppy to adult pics is not easy..lol. Much easier to find black or white puppy to adult pics. :) I really like his adult color a lot!

Well Mikey's eyes where a lighter hade as well. I think that if you would like to breed her eventualy just make sure the male has dark eyes and not medium to light eyes. She sounds like she's what your looking for except the concern of her light colored eyes. I certainly agree about finding decent pics of cafe's and silver beige Poodles.

She looks like she's pretty otherwise. She's probably a little over angulated right now but that gives her room to lose some angle's as she matures. If he had her stacked a little better her top line would be even more level and it would show her tail set better. Her being understacked make's the tail set look a bit lower. Nice length of neck and length on muzzle in my opinion. I think she's worth seriously considering.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My Tuesday in a Cafe Au Lait and I agree that this dog will fade.

She sounds wonderful temperament wise and I would not worry to much about eye color as like Jenn said you can breed that darker. Her angulation is a bit much but she is in the "gangaly" stage where they are all knees and elbows so she should grow into that. She look a little down on her pasterns, again that could be age but I would ask to see some free standing pictures.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Tuesday in a Cafe Au Lait and I agree that this dog will fade.

She sounds wonderful temperament wise and I would not worry to much about eye color as like Jenn said you can breed that darker. Her angulation is a bit much but she is in the "gangaly" stage where they are all knees and elbows so she should grow into that. She look a little down on her pasterns, again that could be age but I would ask to see some free standing pictures.
Well, it is good to hear that with breeding to a male with a good dark eye hers will not be a problem. And, yes, that was the other thing that I was wondering about. I am not sure if looks worse because she is pushing back a little on her front legs or if she is that weak in the pasterns. If she is a bit weak in the pasterns, I don't know if it is her age or if it is the way she will be. The lady is supposed to be sending me more pics of her and pics of her mom.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't think her parents were health tested were they? If you were wanting to get something that you could potentially breed down the road, I think I would want to get it from parents that had already been health tested. I know that it is a bit more money in the initial buying process, but you have peace of mind and a health guarantee before you even start your own health testing and breeding program.
If you are looking - I can definitely help give you some names of some great breeders that do health testing and I'm sure others on this site can too.
I think if you were wanting her (but not planning on breeding her) than she is a great price and a pretty dog.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I don't think her parents were health tested were they? If you were wanting to get something that you could potentially breed down the road, I think I would want to get it from parents that had already been health tested. I know that it is a bit more money in the initial buying process, but you have peace of mind and a health guarantee before you even start your own health testing and breeding program.
If you are looking - I can definitely help give you some names of some great breeders that do health testing and I'm sure others on this site can too.
I think if you were wanting her (but not planning on breeding her) than she is a great price and a pretty dog.

I agree ^^^^ If your not planning to breed her I would get her, but if you want to breed something start with a breeder with health testing on their breeding stock. I know some people go by pedigrees only and just because they have ch such in such in the back ground does not mean anything.
Whats on the dam's side ? If this breeder is not offering a guarantee on puppy I would pass it up.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had thought that they were, I talked to the breeder and they are not, the grandparents on both sides of the pup are OFA'd and are excellent and good, but I had thought the parents were also done. Yeah, I already told the breeder I would have to pass on her. Well, back to the looking again..lol. I want to find someone close enough so I can drive to see the pups and parents- at least the mom if she was bred out. Well, time to do more searching. :)

Thanks all for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I had thought that they were, I talked to the breeder and they are not, the grandparents on both sides of the pup are OFA'd and are excellent and good, but I had thought the parents were also done. Yeah, I already told the breeder I would have to pass on her. Well, back to the looking again..lol. I want to find someone close enough so I can drive to see the pups and parents- at least the mom if she was bred out. Well, time to do more searching. :)

Thanks all for your thoughts!
Do you mind me aking what state you live in?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't know if you want to consider shipping ( I know that I didn't) and I'm not sure if brown is the only color you are wanting (if so, I understand) but Wrigley and Jenny's breeder had a litter. They are from really nice lines. She is in Indiana. I have met the parents. She does all the health testing and offers a five year health guarantee. Her puppies are raised in her home underfoot. I think the colors are cream and black. Maybe one is a phantom...
If interested, I will be glad to give you her name.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol .....I didn't even notice that on your profile. I should look harder next time. I don't know of any Poodle breeder's in Vermont. I was hoping to help. Im sure you'll do a fine job anyhow. Thanks!
Ohhhh, how tempting to say "you just weren't looking!" But, to be honest, I didn't realize I never put it on so when you asked, I went to my User CP and put it in...LOL.. so, you were not blind. :)

I don't know if you want to consider shipping ( I know that I didn't) and I'm not sure if brown is the only color you are wanting (if so, I understand) but Wrigley and Jenny's breeder had a litter. They are from really nice lines. She is in Indiana. I have met the parents. She does all the health testing and offers a five year health guarantee. Her puppies are raised in her home underfoot. I think the colors are cream and black. Maybe one is a phantom...
Well, I really do prefer not to have it shipped as I do want to see the pup for myself and the parent(s). I want to be sure that I like the pup and feel she is right for me. I know that sounds anal in a way, but this pup will be my lifelong friend/companion even though I would like to breed. She will be going to nursing homes & hospitals, horse back riding, AKC obedience trials and just being my friend at home. So, I want to be sure the pup has the personality that jives with me. And no, I don't have any particular color, except I prefer not to have black or white. But would take one if it turned out to be the right puppy. I DO LOVE the phantoms and would take one of those in a heartbeat. I am sure it is because I have always been a Dobe lover and have always had one Dobe in my life.
This is a pic of my 8 yr old Dobe girl, Jade. She is a sweetheart. But I know that I will not be getting another one after she passes away. She is so dear to me and I will never find another like her.
[/IMG]

And this is my gelding that the pup I get will go horse back riding with with me His name is Phoenix and he is just a wonderful boy!! :)
[/IMG]

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Haha......After you posted me back saying Vermont I looked at your Avatar and it said VT. I thought earlier I didn't see it but then I thought well I may have over looked that. lol

That explains it. Im not as blind as I thought. lol

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Ohhhh, how tempting to say "you just weren't looking!" But, to be honest, I didn't realize I never put it on so when you asked, I went to my User CP and put it in...LOL.. so, you were not blind. :)

Well, I really do prefer not to have it shipped as I do want to see the pup for myself and the parent(s). I want to be sure that I like the pup and feel she is right for me. I know that sounds anal in a way, but this pup will be my lifelong friend/companion even though I would like to breed. She will be going to nursing homes & hospitals, horse back riding, AKC obedience trials and just being my friend at home. So, I want to be sure the pup has the personality that jives with me. And no, I don't have any particular color, except I prefer not to have black or white. But would take one if it turned out to be the right puppy. I DO LOVE the phantoms and would take one of those in a heartbeat. I am sure it is because I have always been a Dobe lover and have always had one Dobe in my life.
This is a pic of my 8 yr old Dobe girl, Jade. She is a sweetheart. But I know that I will not be getting another one after she passes away. She is so dear to me and I will never find another like her.
[/IMG]

And this is my gelding that the pup I get will go horse back riding with with me His name is Phoenix and he is just a wonderful boy!! :)
[/IMG]

AWWWW your dobie is so beautiful !!!!!! your horse is prety also is he a quarter horse?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I forgot to add that if you do not mind shipping http://www.ben-chers-poodles.com/ has some great looking poodles.

Would you be willing to drive to your neighboring states? Go to akc.org and look at the show list in your area. try UKC also and go to the show and talk to some poodle breeders. Tell them what you are looking for and they probably have info on breeders in VT.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AWWWW your dobie is so beautiful !!!!!! your horse is prety also is he a quarter horse?
Thank you... yes, my Dobe is a gorgeous girl with a perfect temperament/personality!! My horse is a quarter horse/thoroughbred cross, not registered. He is just a superb riding horse and my & my sister's dogs love to go on horse rides with us!! Especially when we go to the lake.

I forgot to add that if you do not mind shipping http://www.ben-chers-poodles.com/ has some great looking poodles.

Would you be willing to drive to your neighboring states? Go to akc.org and look at the show list in your area. try UKC also and go to the show and talk to some poodle breeders. Tell them what you are looking for and they probably have info on breeders in VT.
Oh, yes, I am willing to drive even up to 10 hours away to look at pups. Thanks for the info, I will take a look.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I WANT TO SEE THE PHANTOM!!!!!! I want more info!!

I KNOW I can't take in another dog right now, but hey I can look can't I? I love the dobies so any phantom pictures are always welcome! If she lives in Indiana maybe I will have to start saving my pennies now! Hubby and I already have been talking about a bigger house and another move after the young ones start school...maybe I can save up enough by then! LOL

1 - 20 of 51 Posts