Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to pay for a puppy?

I haven't been advertizing except through word of mouth, but I haven't even gotten deposits on any of the babies.

Im scared that Ill have 12, 5 month old puppies sitting around :scared:

Im just really overwhelmed right now, I have 95 bazillion animals in my house, Jamie had to go to the vet on easter and stay two days (she swallowed a bone :( ) and the puppies make a HUGE mess of their area. I dont know if my price is turning potential home off, or if I do need to advertize or what , PLUS Im working more, so the babies (and adults ) are left alone longer. Jamie could care less about the puppers, so shes no help.

Blah FML

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's a lot of work, I know, but you're doing a great job! :hug:

Are you a member of the Poodle Club in your area? If so, you might want to list your litter there. That's how I found most of the breeders/litters that we looked at.

How much are you asking? I don't remember what the pedigree/testing looks like for your litter. In this area you would expect to pay $1500-2000 for a pup with a heavily CH pedigree and tested parents. $1200-1500 for everything else.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't know how much you are asking or all the details but if they were champion lines, fully health tested on limited register I would think around $1500.

I think I remember this being an unplanned litter so if you weren't able to get all the health tests I would drop the price some, then maybe around 1000-1200. This also may be a better price since you have so many at one time if you don't want to hold them over much past 8 weeks. But again, I don't know all the details.

Also, there are some okay sites to advertise on such as breeders.net where you can list your site. Since you are a new breeder you will probably have to advertise at first until you start to have champions with your kennel name and get to know more poodle people.

·
Registered
575 Posts
go to puppyfind.com and see what they are going for in and around your area. While that's not the BEST site to buy a dog, it's a pretty good representation at what's available price wise.

I'd say an unregistered/untested litter would be more in the neighborhood of $500 - $800 around here, but the asking price is irrelevant if the market won't bear it. Something is only worth what one is willing to pay for it, so I'd probably adjust my prices accordingly if you don't want to end up with 12 5 month old pups :)

Would love to see some pictures! I have a client that may be interested. They were asking about a standard a month or two ago and I told them I'd keep my eye out.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Its whats in the market I suppose....

The more known champion white breeders are charging $1500 to $1800 on average for white (that I have seen) and once they reach 5 to 7 months the price goes down.......

What is your website again and do you have price listed?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The price tends to go down at 12 weeks actually :rolffleyes:, by 6 mos I found Ch puppies for 50% less .

I agree with what Cameo said - look at local market and price accordingly !!!

Best of luck !!!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
The price tends to go down at 12 weeks actually :rolffleyes:, by 6 mos I found Ch puppies for 50% less .
:rolffleyes: Rephrase......IMO once they hit about 5 months maybe less in some cases ^^ the price drops dramatically:eek:hwell: If breeders are holding pups back and determine with in this time frame they will not use them in their showing and breeding program they still consider them show quality for a companian home some are a bit slower on lowering the price. But I have only seen this in 2 breeders I have spoken too lol. I don't devote boocoos of hours talking with breeders....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
LOL

When you look for a "bargain" you have to "cruse" the sites, you know ; )) !

I am only talking about what I personally saw during my search ... Actually want to "kill myself" for having to pass on those opportunities :doh:

Oh well...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm so sorry. Raising puppies is a lot of work.

Set up a web site (did you do this already?). Find every free and inexpensive Internet dog advertising site you can.

Frankly, I would charge between $850-$1000. I don't remember the pedigrees on the dam and sire, but I don't think either is finished or fully tested right? Price them to sell!

I agree that the blush is off the puppies by about 12 weeks so you want to do every thing you can to move them by that point. After 8 weeks you really need to start training them and after 12 weeks it is positively critical that they be worked, housebroken and taken places or you will end up with poorly socialized dogs. How are you going to do this with 6+ puppies you may still have hanging around?

Have you talked to your local poodle club, rescue group and other breeders in the area? I would send up the white flag and ask for help.

Puppies make a huge mess. What sort of potty system are you using? How are you containing them?

·
Registered
681 Posts
A lot of the breeders around here use ebay classifieds. They also do a lot of breeder showcases or puppy swap meets where you can meet potential puppy buyers. Good luck!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The puppies are in two expens that are connected, with a door inbetween. They have a potty area with puppy pads and rabbit water bottles for drinking, and a sleep/play area with a crate (always open) blankets, their food bowls, and toys that are rotated.

Now they tear up the pads and run around in the potty area:rolffleyes:, and some have decided to sleep there sometimes.

The parents are not finished, yes it was an oops. a BIG one.
The mom pretty much has a crap pedigree, but is a nice bitch, and I was planning on breeding her in the future. The dad has a nice pedigree. they are both on the website.

I have not gotten the testing done yet, but am working on it, the past few weeks have flown by!

I was originally going to ask $1000 for limited AKC registration, but now im not sure if this is too much. I will have had all the DNA testing done (or at least sent off ) by the time the pups are 9 weeks (I wont let them go any sooner)
I have a website, but have not advertised the pups yet, pups in my area with absolute crap pedigrees go for 500-1000 no testing,(or only limited testing, and prelim hip ratings) on limited registration. 1200-2000 for show pups.

Do I think a show breeder is out there looking for my oopsies, no, but they will make their new families great companions :)

There is this big stigma about advertizing, but I am finding more an more people do it.
Im going to look at more online ad sites and see what we can come up with,,, Thanks you guys!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Put grates over the puppy pads. This will keep the puppies from tearing them up and it will also keep them from walking in the urine.

Start advertising the puppies NOW! Put them on your web site!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Set up a FACEBOOK page for your kennel!!! It's a great way to advertise and I know of several very reputable breeders that produce companion & show quality puppies that use FB and have very good luck. See, you can join all the poodle "groups" and that will gain you a lot of exposure. There are also a lot of grooming groups and there are tons of groomers looking for poodles to compete with ect. Best thing is, FB is free and reaches MANY people, providing you with a targeted market. If you want to "friend" me, let me know and I can send you my contact name.

Your pups are adorable, BTW :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
I would ask 800. for them, be sure to give a good guarantee. I agree with Carol, you should have had them advertised yesterday! You can always weed through inquiries if you get a lot, but people won't know you have puppies by telepathy. Hopefully the economy is on the upswing. The past several years have seen a LOT of poodles go into rescue because the "breeders" couldn't sell them. You are competing with a lot of breeders.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I would ask 800. for them, be sure to give a good guarantee. I agree with Carol, you should have had them advertised yesterday! You can always weed through inquiries if you get a lot, but people won't know you have puppies by telepathy. Hopefully the economy is on the upswing. The past several years have seen a LOT of poodles go into rescue because the "breeders" couldn't sell them. You are competing with a lot of breeders.
Oh gosh. How true. Hope for $800 and take best offers to good homes. :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i too would ask in the 800-1000 range. You've got a lot of puppies it's your first litter i'd go a bit lower to the 800 range.

Advertise advertise advertise. Get a blog up or a website so you can send people to it-

Craigs list- (Or kijiji is what we have up in canada more) ads for your kennel letting people know puppies are available

any free site you can find list. Remember ot list your city/state Seriously when i was shopping i was googling "Poodle canada" and it brought up litters- and i inquired!

Put posters up at your pet stores locally

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Frosty - I just went on your web-page - you do not even have individual puppy picks : (((.

I would do that ASAP if I had a web-page ! You also planned to do temperament testing - did you do it ?

I would make a special page just for "available puppies" with photos and short description of the each one. That way you can redirect all inquiries to your site and they can look at them and feel a connection with individual puppies they might like !!!! Groom them "pretty" and make nice photos : ) !

I know I fall HARD for pictures LOL

Best of luck !

1 - 20 of 63 Posts