Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you say to someone who says "It doesn't matter how much I beat my dog, he still sh**'s in the house" Yes, I was unfortunate enough to have this said directly to my face, by a RELATIVE (by marriage only,T.G.) All I could say was, "Yep, it didn't work to hit and yell at him did it!" Too bad it was during thanksgiving dinner, that was about all I could say then.
And this person wants to be a dog groomer........ I give up!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm, yeah, I'm pretty sure she was. My hubby has seen her hubby pick the dog crate up, with the dog inside and shake it. I went off the wall when I heard this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish she would just give it up like she did the last 3 small dogs she's had. They'd most likely be in a better place.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
OMG! First, I'd probably say something to the effect that I'm glad that I'm not their dog (but it might have a couple of swear words in there, too) and then I would share that I have NEVER, and I mean NEVER struck a dog for having an accident in the house and ALL of the dogs I have ever tried to housetrain have become trained in short order...

Hmmmm, what does that tell us??? Welllll, it tells us that punishment and violence do not WORK to train a dog (for ANYTHING - obedience, house manners, etc...) so let's try something a little more PRODUCTIVE, shall we?? I'm not sure I could've kept my cool in that situation.

I really, really hate it when people strike animals - and I know it happens all too often (and especially in house training attempts) because the idiot humans don't have the knowledge and information on how to do it right and they get super frustrated and lash out in the only way they know how - and it just doesn't help...

Lucybug is housetrained... She's 13 1/2 weeks old... I have never (nor will I ever) strike her... I have learned in all my interactions with canines to keep my emotions/attitude very calm, honest and fair - If they ever do something wrong it's because *I* didn't set them up for success and it's not their fault. I discipline when necessary, but I NEVER punish!

(steps off soapbox)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I don't get people like that. How many dogs do you have to go through before you figure out the dogs aren't the problem? I hope this geniuses don't reproduce. If there's any evidence, I'd call AC. A good "how's that working for ya" would be a good reply.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can stay on your soap box as long as you'd like as far as I'm concerned. I've told them what to do to potty train him, I've sent them information over and over again and they refuse to do it. Just like another relative. Actually I have 3 who won't take my advise, which is the same advise any pro dog trainer would give them on housebreaking. I don't know if they think it is too much work or what the deal is.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Some people just think dogs are disposable and serve no other purpose than to entertain us while they are puppies. I see it all the time and it makes me sick. I have several neighbors who go through at least one puppy a year. Once the kids get bored w/ the new "toy" the puppy ends up on a chain in the yard for a month or two and then dissapears.

What gets me is when people see my dogs or other well behaved dogs and ask where they came from, as if they were born that way. It really scares me when someone says they want a dog like Harley (a Rottweiler) b/c they rarely realize the work that I put into him and he is a soft tempered dog. I think if you put the work into finding the most compatable dog/breed and put the work into raising them right, any dog can be a great pet.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
thats awful =\
I tell people I beat Elphie...but I'm a sarcastic a** v.v;

"Oh she got it good >:O -kisses her nose-"

I think I'd break down in tears if I ACTUALLY hit any of our dogs =[
((I'm a sissy WHAT OF IT))

I have family members that I won't let Elphie around because she jumped on the little girl and the mom went to hit MY dog...after that little brat called her over and patted her chest for Elphie to jump on her
I was like "OH HAILLLLLLL NO lady STEP IT ON DOWN
aint NO ONE gonna be hittin my dog" ((shes related by marriage too))

^^^^
I really said it like that
all proper grammar like and everything

_________

I've seen people hit there dogs in the park...what reason would you have to smack a dog in a park?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I grew up in a family where we don't hit dogs. The first time I encountered this was when I lived with a crazy roommate that had a pug and would beat him when he didn't do what she wanted. My other roommate and I were disgusted, especially since Barkley was a sweet baby, and SHE never took the time to train him. (She fed him by filling his bowl until she couldn't see the bottom, never measuring his food... Should tell you something.)

Now... we do "spank", as does my mom with here pups. Not as in a "you're doing something wrong, you get 2 spanks"... as in, TQ isn't paying attention to me or ignoring me so I'll lightly tap her booty. She'll turn around and wag her tail like, "Oh heyyyy, forgot you existed because I saw something I was going to try and eat." But when our dogs are in trouble or punished, they don't get hit. Period.

There was this lady at the dog park with her husband and two kids. Their small dog - I think it was an ugly little example of a Maltese - was wearing doggy clothes to the dog park (uhhhh... Perry has clothes... but he doesn't wear them to the dog park) and only walked like 1 foot before the lady picked him up, whining about how dirty the park was. Their big dog - an aggressive rottie (who tried to attack ProblemChild) - was running around ignoring the man and trying to start a fight with every dog he saw. Well, TheQueen kept running over to the kids and trying to lick them in the face. I apologized and pulled her away, explaining that she loves everyone and that kids making fun, loud noises excite her. The woman said it was no problem because they had a big dog and that her kids would be fine even if TheQueen came back. Well... I wish I knew then what her definition of "fine" was.

The kids kept running around and calling TQ over, but when she would start to play with them the little girl would kick and hit her! I was LIVID, but this bratty kid wasn't mine and I can't scold her... especially with their idiotic mafia little family dynamic going on. Before I could do anything, though, TQ caught sight of some doxies and was all about playing with them. Thank goodness. I was about to go to jail for wearing a stranger's kids' butt out!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah =/ I've seen people smack and hit their dogs in the salon lobby at my work for them being excited to see their owners after being groomed.. It's really awkward, since I don't think I'm really allowed to say anything to demean a customer on the clock.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I would have to say something--it's just the way I am. I can be diplomatic about it, but I won't mince my words.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am speechless :smow:...those people are just crazy. I would take about an hour to explain why it does not work and what will definitely work - dinner or not :wacko:- actually that was perfect opportunity since I doubt they will get up and leave that turkey unfinished LMAO

Maybe you can buy a good Dog Training book and give it as a present for a Christmas to them !!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
actually that was perfect opportunity since I doubt they will get up and leave that turkey unfinished LMAO

Maybe you can buy a good Dog Training book and give it as a present for a Christmas to them !!!!
You must know them well! Yes, that is a great suggestion! Now, how to get them to read it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ha ha ahaaaaaa Cash , oh my :pound:

NOW - that is a good question , hmmm, maybe you can volunteer to read them parts before they go "nighy-night" LMAO

I know - some people are just beyond "repair" :doh:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha ha ahaaaaaa Cash , oh my :pound:

NOW - that is a good question , hmmm, maybe you can volunteer to read them parts before they go "nighy-night" LMAO
OK, now, we're only related by marriage - That would be a little too close for comfort!!!!

Maybe I could do a book on tape for them.!! lol. Or maybe I can buy them "Dog training for Dummies" :)

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
Or maybe I can buy them "Dog training for Dummies" :)
Hey!! I have that one! :) I have a whole library of training books I got when I was managing the shelter to use as resources for new adopters - Maybe I'll have to put them all out on the new "vendor forum" if it ever gets up and running!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wouldnt say anything, just drop trou and crap on the rug... and look at them as if it were a challenge.... but thats me and its my fantasy LOL

any who... we had this absolutly nutso lady come into the shop I used to work at with two corgis(pembroke- if you were wondering)

She in and of herself was a character...we kept thinking it was some kind of prank. She was all of 5 foot tall, and had HUGE Sally Jesse Raphael glasses.
She came in with her husband- who also looked as if he were beaten, and yells HI IM (name). and waits.... we said hi and were really confused. Then she starts in again IM (name) FROM NEW YORK i HAVE AN APOINTMENT! so we started to take her info down every time her husband would pipe up she would yell at him JESUS (name) THATS NOT RIGHT! ITS ____________(whatever she was trying to say.) The she would just yell CRIPES at the beginning of most of her sentences. so on to the dogs. They are Corgis, they were excited. She litterally jerked one off of its stubby little legs when it tried to come up to us CRIPES!

It was sad for the dogs, but my God I almost died trying not to laugh

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update - As I figured, they got rid of the dog. I don't know the details of to who and where the dog went, but I am being told hubby said the dog goes. Apparently he was lifting his leg on everything in the house. Poor Dog!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts