Poodle Forum banner

What do you feed your poodle?

14K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  SAS 
#1 ·
So, I'm curious what type of dog food people are feeding their poodle?

Please note what kind of poodle and age too :)

We are currently feeding our standard poodle puppy (17 weeks ~25lbs) Blue Buffalo Puppy.

HE LOVES IT, and his poops are nice too ;)

-Todd

#5 ·
I feed my 2 5-year old Standards... (since they were 8 weeks old) a mixture of:
Solid Gold (Bison); Natural Balance (Duck and Potatoe) and Oven Baked Avoderm(Avocado); All three are all natural and the Avoderm makes their coats silky soft and shiny. Their poops are small and hard. Sometimes I mix in 2 TBLS of all natural cottage cheese and for treats they get apples and almonds.

#8 ·
We have a 6 month old standard and he is on VF Holistic Adult. The breeder thought that the puppy foods will make them grow too fast. The vet said to feed either large breed puppy or adult food. I'm still doing research to find the best food. There are so many opinions. It's hard!

Chris

#10 ·
Puppy food has more protein that's needed in the development of the muscles as they grow. I`m not sure about large breed food but it may have more protein too... compare labels :)

So, to some it may seem it makes them grow to fast.

We used the Whole Dog Journal and a website that rated the foods, and picked a food that was on BOTH the lists. :)

#18 ·
I just started trying this new food
Blue wilderness has way too many "life bits" lately, instead of 5-15% it's now more like 40-45% Lou is starting to spit the little black kibble out and eating the rest :( I called blue, tried 3 different bags, still too many of the little black round kibble thingy.

I met a rep from this brand and decided to give it a try. The salmon one... It seems "comparable" to blue wilderness it's grain free also

NULO

Does anyone have an opinion ?

Thanks so much!! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#20 ·
Finn is 5 1/2 month old Spoo and gets TOTW high prairie puppy then I make a topper of 1/2 Stella & Chewy beef puck crumbled over the top a heaping spoon full of organic pumpkin and 1/3 tsp of anchovies fish oil then warm water until swimming. The water and S&C makes a nice broth.

BTW the fish oil is pharmaceutical grade that basically has almost no smell of any kind much less fish I got it at a raw food retailer.

#22 ·
Sunny can eat almost anything, as long as it's a high quality grain free, but my allergy dog, Maddie, is very sensitive to a LOT of dog food ingredients, so she is limited on what she can eat. These foods work for her (all are grain/potato/alfalfa/chicken/turkey/egg free):

Back to Basics Hi-Protein Pork
California Natural Salmon and Peas

Foods that also work well for Sunny:
Now Grain Free Small Breed
Victor Grain Free (both the salmon and the general red bag varieties)
Zignature Grain Free (both the turkey and the lamb varieties)

#23 ·
My toy poodle Lani is nearly 7 months and weighs 2.6 kg. I feed her a mix of dry kibble ( thrive/Arden grange) mixed with Lilly's kitchen wet food but she enjoys dry on its own.
I give her freeze dried meat treats and liver treats. I make sure I give her a variety and keep mixing it up so she is nutritionally covered.
When I first brought her home I fed her (on my vets recommendation) proplan and then I did my own research and came across this website- All About Dog Food.co.uk
It's very confusing, there are so many choices.
A lot of people feed their babies grain free food. Is grain bad for dogs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.