Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder I got Vega from feeds all her dogs chicken soup and she gave me a weeks worth of food when I brought him home. I've been feeding my shepherd taste of the wild (both by Diamond foods i believe).

Anyhow, I was at the small pet supply store where I buy Pandora's food and the price is a few $'s less for the chicken soup and i get 5lbs more of food so I'm thinking of having them all on chicken soup eventually. Does anyone else have good luck with this food?

I was feeding Pandora the taste of the wild specifically for the high protein content as nothing else has helped her gain weight (previously trying solid gold and blue buffalo wilderness) but she LOVES taste of the wild. I've debated mixing some chicken soup puppy with chicken soup adult for her because I know puppy food would help her gain weight. She's just so active all day.

Anyhow, i think i'll stick with the chicken soup at least for Vega, he loves it! I might just keep him on it until he's 15 months old and switch him to taste of the wild, who knows!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
We feed Enzo innova adult small bites , he was on puppy innova.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Gosh

I have always fed Nutro dry lamb and rice.

I have ventured to other things but it tends to work for my dogs best (even though there are higher rated foods)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have fed Nutro in the past but with all the lawsuits against them am not interested in them any more. I like Orijen but not good for Casey. I was doing Natures Variety but got up to 46 for 3 weeks for one dog. Mandy the bag would last a month so over 90 a month on dog food.
Right now they are on Oven Baked Traditions fish and doing well though the food does stink. Casey cant eat the high protiens in Taste of the wild and stuff or he piddles all over.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We are on Taste Of The Wild. The dogs like it and I'm still in the trial period to see if it helps Wrigley's gas. I also serve it with plain yogurt.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Ditto on Nurto, I used to feed all my dogs and all my mother's dogs, but now.... I'm a little nervous of the company. So many things that the reps that used to come to work and say were proven to be false when they whole recall thing happened. A real shame.

Anyway I have my dogs on Blue Buff. now, they seem to love it and are doing well.

I have used the chicken soup food in the past. They liked it but I switched from that to Solid Gold and now to Blue. My cats still eat it though, they like it a lot :) It's not a bad food, it;s just difficult to get where I am. I have to mix it with other brands for the cats because I can't always travel to get it. Only two places sell it, one is a feed store that doesn't store their foods all that well, and the other is a petstore that seems to think that if they allow a product to touch their shelves that they must then charge tripple for it. LoL, They are really proud of those shelves. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have always fed Nutro dry lamb and rice.

I have ventured to other things but it tends to work for my dogs best (even though there are higher rated foods)
No offence about what you feed but Nutro suddenly changed there ingrediants after I'd been feeding that food for like 4 yrs. My Pit, Lotus started losing large patches of hair on each side of her rib area's. After $500.00 in vet visit's and the vet thinking maybe she has cancer, I decided to change her food. Sure enough, I found out that Nutro sold to some Candy company out of China or Japan. They had altered the ingredients. My sister's dog began getting sick from the food (weak tummy). They changed to Natura brand foods and so did I......would never by another bag of food of Nutro now.

I know some dogs are fine eating anything, but I wont touch a Nutro product now. This happened maybe 2 yrs ago now just for the record.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Forgot to mention I feed Health Wise from Natura. If Im up to spend a little more, then I get Ca Natural. Its also made by Natura.

Natura makes....ennova, evo, karma, health wise and ca natural. In my opinion all great food and a fabulous company.

Oh, I just bought a bag of Health Wise the other day and there was a nice notice on the bag. It was just saying they now get all there products with in the US and will not be using any other county for ingredient sources.
Thanks Natura!! lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Iv never heard of those foods,maybe its because im in the uk.
I was feeding butchers meat(tinned food)
And mixer biscuits.
The new puppy has been fed on James welbeloved puppy dried so i guess hel stay on that for a while until hes settled i dont like a all dried diet if i can help it,I also feed chicken i get a chicken and roast it for the cats and dog they love it :D

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Iv never heard of those foods,maybe its because im in the uk.
I was feeding butchers meat(tinned food)
And mixer biscuits.
The new puppy has been fed on James welbeloved puppy dried so i guess hel stay on that for a while until hes settled i dont like a all dried diet if i can help it,I also feed chicken i get a chicken and roast it for the cats and dog they love it :D
Yeah you guys have different food there lol , the only one I know you have is royal canin which is CRAP ! not unless you buy the vet line which cost so much money its not even funny.

Becareful with wet food , wet food is not really good for dogs Both my teacher who are vets told the whole class that. I was probably not in class when one of them said why so I will ask them through email.

Also it creates tartar faster on dogs than the dry food.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok i didnt know that i thought that a all dried diet was bad for the bladder and internal organs?
Let me know im interested about knowing about why wet foods are not good.
yes the royal canin isnt too good and it is expensive,the vet line my cats were on when they were ill and yes it cost a lot

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Here's a dog food review link that might be useful:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

I love these types of links :)

I didnt know that about the nutro formula change, they need to post signs about this kind of thing. In the grand scheme of things there are certainly worse things to feed your dog's. Wish dog food companies would be more honest about what they are doing and why. Quite a few of them seem to try and be sneaky sometimes... even in what ingredients are listed on their bags.

This type of conversation always makes me want to go back and explore raw diets again.... Must... Resist.... I just don't have the time to make sure that everything is perfectly balanced the way it needs to be. That would certainly be a recipe trouble. :mmph:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Another great site for everyhting you ever wanted to know about dog food is: http://www.dogfoodproject.com/. The woman who runs the site Sabine, is a dog nutritionist and is extremely knowledgeable. I know a man who had her do a consultation for his Havanese and is incredible happy. She had him fill out some lengthy questionaires about him and his dog and his analysis was only $22.ooto $25.00 can't remember and he is thrilled. She makes recommendations depending on whether you want to feed what's available through pet supplies, raw or homecooked and I think it's more like $47 per dog if you do your own home cooking, supplementing or raw feeding. Any way, according to her, it's much better to feed good quality canned food than kibble. Check out the site, it's a wealth of info.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah you guys have different food there lol , the only one I know you have is royal canin which is CRAP ! not unless you buy the vet line which cost so much money its not even funny.

Becareful with wet food , wet food is not really good for dogs Both my teacher who are vets told the whole class that. I was probably not in class when one of them said why so I will ask them through email.

Also it creates tartar faster on dogs than the dry food.
I would also like to know why canned isn't good. Interesting!

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I have been feed my 3 moth old girl Nutro max, I heard it was supposed to be really good?? Now I am confused. Do you guys think I should switch my food.?? Thanks

Abe

1 - 20 of 45 Posts