• Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you feed your poodle and why?

----------------------------------------

We feed both our dogs (Minature Poodle and Jack Russell Terrier mix) California Naturals Herring and Sweet Potato.

After explaining my poodles past gastro issues California Naturals was recommended highly for him, and foods like Innova and Wellness were actually discouraged, they were too rich in protein or high in fat or something.

Well I am glad we went with California Naturals...we started with the Chicken formula but both dogs were still having runny poos. But then shortly switched to Herring and Sweet potato and for the first time in their lives they had firm poos, no upset tummys, and Zack was happy to eat at mealtime. And their coats actually look better than ever.

Well thankfully on this food he hasn't had a single gastro flair up in over a year now and I seriously think its due to the food.

(He was eating purina and the stuff nearly killed him and then science diet which didn't help either, we then switched to Maxximum Nutrition he wouldn't eat it,, then Diamond Naturals, and then to California Naturals)

Needless to say we are very happy with our choice in food and hope we never have to switch. Either way we try to avoid food with a lot of fillers

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feed Evo, Orijen, and raw. I use both dry and canned food most of the time. Once or twice a week, she will get the raw food. I would like to feed only raw but hubby thinks dogs should just eat dog food.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I feed Stella and Chewy's in the morning (I switch patty flavors each bag) and Orijen Large Breed Puppy (kibble) in the evening. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I feed Orijen Large Puppy. I really like the ingredients and that it is grain-free and high protein. I feel very comfortable feeding him this food, it seems to be the healthiest dry food out there for him and I want to do my best to ensure that he grows up healthy and strong. :)

Desmond seems to really like the food, too. He has small, firm poos and rarely has an upset stomach. He also just looks good! Strong muscles, bright eyes, healthy coat, and good energy.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We had been using Blue Buffalo, but found out that Kirkland Brand (Costco) actually had a higher score on the food ratings. Which is great, because Blue Buffalo is so dang expensive!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have fed everything from *gasp* Alpo- to Evo.
I always come back to Nutro, my dogs do well on it, and we supplement with a little raw, and other add ins

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I feed a combination of raw and Diamond kibble. They get raw chicken, yogart, gizzards, and supplements: fish oil, sea kelp, Brewer's Yeast with Garlic, and Hair, Skin, and Nails.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TQ eats Blue Buffalo, however, she could eat anything. Stomach o Steel, that one!

Perry is currently eating Royal Canin Puppy to gain some weight back, but I can't decide what to feed him once that is gone. I would love suggestions. Preferably something that TQ and Perry could both eat, as they get fed together. (He hates Blue Buff, so the search is on!)

The Big Boys eat Dogswell. They love it. However, they go through it quite fast as collectively they eat 5.5 cups/day. TG is 2.5, and PC is 2. We're pretty happy with it, other than that!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Im using Diamond too, just started with it a few months ago. Cost is the reason. It's cheaper than the blue buffalo and the chicken soup we had the dogs on. We switched the tibs from solid gold when we got Jazz in the hopes that everyone could eat the same thing for a while. When we found out Nicholas was on the way and I started having trouble working and with the pregnancy in general we went from blue to chicken soup and then to diamond because I think it was purple poodle who mentioned it on here. I checked it out and liked what I saw and liked the price even better. I figured why not give it a try, it's free of corn which is what I needed for Howie and looks pretty good on the lable (I use the naturals line, chicken and rice) so if nothing else it will be ok for the short term and who knows maybe it'll be something they do really well on. My mother started feeding it about 6 weeks ago too since I was ok with it and she is really liking it and has good coats. Mister Wonder has a fantastic coat, hope he keeps it until March at least.

Once baby gets here and our finances go back to normal and are more stable (read I got back to working again and making $$$$) we may either going back to blue or going to give solid gold a shot the poodles have never been on that. At the very least the tibbies will go back to Solid Gold or Blue. Wonder and Howie both seem itchy on the diamond and I can't decide if it's the weather causing dry skin or what. Wonder's coat is really dry now too and Howie's seems to be on the way to that almost all the undercoat is gone. Three guesses who WON'T be entered at our local shows this year, going to take the puppy out instead lol. Saleen and Jazz have also had itchies so warmer weather will tell I guess?? I did switch right as the colder weather hit so it may have little or nothing to do with the current food. I think I had better poodle coats on the blue perhaps than what I have now but that could be because of the itchy-ish skin and the MUCH less frequent bathing that they get now.

On the bright side Saleen has MUCH less of a gas issue on the diamond so for that alone I am amazingly grateful!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I have fed everything from *gasp* Alpo- to Evo.
I always come back to Nutro, my dogs do well on it, and we supplement with a little raw, and other add ins
funny you should mention Alpo. My old man tibbie, Ike, was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in the fall. They thought he might not make it his poor little lungs were so full. Anyway, of course we wanted to control what he ate when he did recover so it would help his heart out as much as possible and be as healthy as possible for him. Problem was he wouldn't touch anything, and I got stuck force feeding him canned food from the vet, which he didn't like much either. What did he decide to eat that first meal he ate on his own... Alpo ROFL. He doesn't eat it anymore, doesn't like it now, but he eats basicly crap almost all canned food. The vet said it was more important to get him to eat so not to worry so much about WHAT he was eating. Picky little turd. He has moist and meaty for breakfast and little champions at night for dinner with some real dog food and various medications hidden inside. All the other dogs have to eat kibble that we decide is good for them, Ike gets to pick out his own canned food. He switches from time to time too he won't eat this flavor or that flavor for a while and then he goes back to liking them. He'll also only eat the ground stuff, not the chunky kind. He's such a picky old man, it's sooo funny but we're happy to spoil him for as long as we have him now.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I have one question about Orijen.
Do your dogs tolerate it well?
Do they have good stool and good skin?

Since it has 40 % protein I would say it was a killer for my dog :S

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
In doing my research at www.dogfoodanalysis.com I've determined I'd like to go grain-free but the high protein content in the grain-free foods isn't recommended for large breed puppies. Until I switch Lucy from puppy food to adult food, I'm feeding her Chicken Soup for the Large Breed Puppy Lover's Soul. Once we can go to adult food (and the high protein won't mess with her growth) I'll be checking out the grain-free options. My non-poodles have been on Nutro for about 8 years, but I recently switched to Blue Buffalo. The dog food analysis website explains that Nutro uses some synthetic vitamin K which can cause problems with the liver - otherwise they've done well on it for years...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Clover is on Blue Buffalo Puppy kibble & wet, and Cricket is on a mixture of Blue Buffalo kibble, and Taste of the Wild Wetlands kibble. I also put some Wild Alaskan salmon oil on Cricket's food.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I voted "other" as there isn't just one thing I feed. Usually in the morning they get kibble, either Evo, Orijen or Taste of The Wild mixed with my own fresh chicken or beef or whatever is handy. At night they get raw chicken, turkey or beef and once or twice a week get organ meats.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have one question about Orijen.
Do your dogs tolerate it well?
Do they have good stool and good skin?

Since it has 40 % protein I would say it was a killer for my dog :S
I only feed grain free kibble and Orijen is one of the brands I use. Both of my spoos and my little 12.5 lb Havanese tolorate it very well, although the Havanese would rather just eat homecooked or raw. ;) They all do very well with it, good stools, great skin and hair.

Why would it be a killer for your dog???

In doing my research at www.dogfoodanalysis.com I've determined I'd like to go grain-free but the high protein content in the grain-free foods isn't recommended for large breed puppies. Until I switch Lucy from puppy food to adult food, I'm feeding her Chicken Soup for the Large Breed Puppy Lover's Soul. Once we can go to adult food (and the high protein won't mess with her growth) I'll be checking out the grain-free options.
Why do you feed Lucy large breed puppy food, Spoos are not considered a "large breed", are they? I think when companies mean large breed they mean mastiffs, danes, rotties, dobbies, etc.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I feed timberwolf grainfree and horizon legacy grainfree in the mornings with Nupro sprinkled over it. At night I do raw. ( RMB are chicken backs, wings, ground turkey, turkey necks, ox tails,neckbones/ organ meats are beef liver, gizzards and hearts/ veggies are stringbeans,broccoli,sweet potatoes which are all cooked. I have also gave them trout,vension,yogart and I give them a teaspoon of apple cidar vinegar with their raw meal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What we feed . . . other than small animals and slow children . .

Solid Gold + Sea Meal + little RAW == It Works!

No corn, wheat, by-products (beaks, bone meal, etc) . . . She's been making it for years, and its still done -her- way. Great stuff and less expensive than many of the other 'macro-biotic' brands. We also will randomly add cottage cheese, ground up freeze dried liver cubes, and plain yogurt.

Mark, Jamie and The Poodle Gangsters:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Giants, Large and etc

. . .Why do you feed Lucy large breed puppy food, Spoos are not considered a "large breed", are they? I think when companies mean large breed they mean mastiffs, danes, rotties, dobbies, etc.
Yup, with males commonly reaching over 60lbs, they are considered a 'large breed'. Our 14 month male, according to the doc, will be about 60-65# lean . . . smaller end of the 'large' dog spectrum. Mastiffs (I've had them years ago -great dog!), Danes and some Rotties are considered 'Giant' breeds, their needs are bit different. Dobbies, Most Rotweillers (remember, this is a herding breed - they should not 'giant' or leggy) and many spoos are large. Dobies are not that much bigger than standards . . . they just look much more intimidating.

Mark, Jamie and The Poodle Gansters

1 - 20 of 25 Posts