Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what do people feed their miniature poodles? It sounds like Taste of the Wild seems to be really high in protein for spoos, but maybe it's too much protein for minis. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Should one not fed such a high protein?
I have always heard that about Miniature Schnauzers (I have two) but have talked to more people within the breed and it's something not followed.

I have a Toy Poodle pup, and a Miniature Poodle pup, both around 10 months and they are on Diamond Puppy. Their food is almost gone and I'm trying to decide whether to switch them to an adult food now, or wait until they're two to stop feeding puppy food.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my pup is only 3 months old, so i'm not looking to switch to an adult food yet, but maybe for future reference this is very helpful. perhaps do you know any special puppy formulas that are good?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've been feeding Blue Buffalo. It's an excellent food and yes high in protein but I bought the large breed size and I believe it's a little lower. I think Wellness and IVO are both very good foods. I also like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, I find that to be a good food.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I know Royal Canin makes a food specifically for mini poos...you might want to check it out. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would check all kibble out with www.wholedogjournal.com
It has a list of recommended kibbles.
We feed Nutri Source chicken and rice to our Mini, and Taste of the Wild to our Toy.
Our Presa's and Malinois eat raw in the morning and Taste of the Wild for dinner.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started feeding my mini blue buffalo...and his stools were relatively firm and dry, but they have gotten progressively softer/watery. He doesn't have full-on explosive diarrhea...but I don't know what could have caused it ...he seemed fine with blue initially, but a little gassy..and i don't see any worms or anything. should i put him back on iams?? i'm skeptical to start feeding him human food just in case he never wants to go back to dog food. what should i do??? should i put him on a new dog food or wait it out to see if his stomach re-adjusts?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh yea, and today he also vomited in his mouth a little bit..and swallowed it. could this be a clue to what's going on?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started feeding my mini blue buffalo...and his stools were relatively firm and dry, but they have gotten progressively softer/watery. He doesn't have full-on explosive diarrhea...

Our breeder was already feeding our mini Blue Buffalo when we bought him at age 4 months almost two months ago. His stools are pretty soft too. Makes for a mess at times...ewww.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Breeder of my future puppy is feeding the poodles with Life’s Abundance Premium Health Food for Puppies but I thing I will switch to raw food. I always prepare food for my family, no packaged food, so I'm looking into that. Maybe in the morning will be dry food and raw food later. Is it good combination?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Blue Buffalo is a great food but I think it can be a little rich for some dogs. I am really liking Taste of the Wild.

All of my dogs currently eat Diamond naturals: Chicken and Rice. My mom has a Mini who is on this and he looks great! Good coat, weight & energy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Blue Buffalo is a great food but I think it can be a little rich for some dogs. I am really liking Taste of the Wild.

All of my dogs currently eat Diamond naturals: Chicken and Rice. My mom has a Mini who is on this and he looks great! Good coat, weight & energy.
is TOTW ok to give to puppies?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts