Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen a discussion on what people are feeding their dogs yet, so if I missed it sorry.

What do you feed yours and why?

I just realized the kibble I am using may not be so good. I have pulled reviews BUT I would like to see what you all feel works best. Mine are showing no signs of allergies. I am looking for overall good for their general health.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I like Wellness Core and Blue Buffalo. I like what Blue Buffalo does to their stools. Less stools and smaller.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
There are a few dog food threads but it never hurts to have a new one as people do change it up.

Do to money restraints I currently feed my pack Purina Dog Chow ick I know but when you have 15 dogs to feed you get what you can afford and right now that's it.

When I get back down to just my personal dogs (3) they will be put back on Diamond Naturals.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I am feeding Innova Puppy and adding raw chicken necks or the drumstick part of a chicken wing. After gaining a little more confidence in feeding raw, I will get some organ meat to mix in too. I usually add these items for her breakfast to really get her going for the day. For her dinner meal, I might add peanut butter or banana to her kibble. She is also a HUGE fan of yogurt. My hubby gave her the cup to lick out and you would have thought he hung the moon for her.

I have been feeding her in an empty crate, so when she spreads the chicken around, it's easy to clean. At this point, she has decided that I need to feed her raw all the time. I started a thread on How do you Feed Raw which several people gave some great suggestions.

If you look at some of the other food threads, some people will say that Innova or Evo may have too much protein. Since a lot of people say that feeding raw meaty bones or the barf model is best (both are mostly if not all protein), I don't see how a packaged food could have too much protein. Just my opinion. If I would have a caution for Innova or Evo, it would be that their are a LOT of different veggies and fruits which could trigger an allergy.

I have noticed that feeding is a personal decision and the more you learn, your heart will guide you to find what is best for your dog. Great question!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm currently feeding Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It's reasonably priced and rates well in the reviews. It's also is grainless, which is good for dogs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Taste of the Wild Wilderness blend. Everyone likes it, poops are small.

In the past we have fed Innova, california natural, as well as Natural Balance.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Wellness Core (Turkey, Chicken Liver & Turkey Liver), supplemented by Fancy Feast cat food (that he respectfully steals from the cat). I'm happy I finally found a Wellness flavor that he would eat consistently (even cold out of the 'fridge). He likes it if I sprinkle grated parmesan or shredded mozzarella on it.

I also give him Nathan's Beef and Cheddar wieners, probably more than I should, but they're very effective training treats.

I don't mind that Core is very high in protein; he's getting his carbs and fat from the cat's food.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was feeding Science Diet which the vet recommended but switched to Innova Large Breed Puppy after reading a thread here comparing foods. I think next time I'll try Chicken Soup and switch around some.

I can't imagine the cost of feeding 15 dogs! Hope they're not big eaters!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
We've been on Blue Buffalo for a few months, and it was great. It did make the stools smaller and much less smelly.
But then I found a place that stocks Orijen! :) I didn't think we had it around here, so I was excited to find it. I like Blue a lot, but the ingredients in Orijen are just tops.
We're currently transitioning onto Orijen Large Puppy, and Desmond LOVES it. He picks it out of the bowl like they're treats, haha. I've never seen him so happy to have dinner before. :)

I used to feed Science Diet when I first got him cause the vet recommended it, but I didn't like it at all. He liked the taste alright, but it made him have these nasty, big, soft poos, and I wasn't fond of the ingredients. Same with Solid Gold (except I like the ingredients in that food). He didn't like Solid Gold at ALL and the entire time he ate it he had nasty poos.
Blue and Orijen seem to be the winners so far, we will see how going on Orijen entirely works out.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh I noticed that too with Blue Buffalo and the poops being less smelly. Wellness Core makes some smelly poops.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree with science diet - it caused some terrible gas too.

I would love to find something easier to manage with all 3 dogs. I have 2 small breed and then Olie which I think is going to be pretty big SP but it's hard using 2 different brands with 3 dogs. So I have been looking at Blue Buffalo and Orijen but I'm concerned about the high protein as well...... I am making it difficult I am sure but I want to make the right decision and not cause too many issues if any.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yes Mandy does great on grain free high protien but for Casey it is just to much and he starts piddling accidents around so that tells me it is to much for him to handle.
I will not do raw as I just don't have the stomache for it.
Right now they are both eating kirkland. Casey was eating the Pacific stream with Mandy but then he had a couple accidents again so just not worth it.
Both doing good on the Kirkland and you can't beat the price compaired to other foods

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Mandy does great on grain free high protien but for Casey it is just to much and he starts piddling accidents around so that tells me it is to much for him to handle.
I will not do raw as I just don't have the stomache for it.
Right now they are both eating kirkland. Casey was eating the Pacific stream with Mandy but then he had a couple accidents again so just not worth it.
Both doing good on the Kirkland and you can't beat the price compaired to other foods
I didn't see Kirkland but I would look at that. I know I cant do the raw either for the same reason.... Nothing against it.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TheQueen eats Blue Buffalo, I like that the little, darker bits of kibble are the protein that normally bakes out of kibble - freeze dried. She seems to really like it... that's not saying much, since she would happily eat poop, paper, bits of lint she finds, etc.

Pearbear eats BilJac small dog formula with soft bites. He is a picky eater and has an incredibly sensitive stomach. Very picky. Luckily, he loves the BilJac, and his lil turds are super tiny. (As I found out tonight at PetsMart... grrr)

TheBoys eat Wellness Core. ProblemChild has a REALLY sensitive stomach and anything but chicken makes him sick for days, and well... TheGreyhound would probably eat pebbles if you put them in his bowl. We do really like how it makes the boys look, their hair feels great and looks great.

·
Registered
646 Posts
kirkland is costcos brand and cost me in Canada $30 for a 40 lbs bag which is amazing really. I have just got a membership last month.
I know Orijen gets rave reviews from everyone but watch the dogs weight as it really is for a more active dog not your lazy couch potato.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
What's everyone's opinion regarding dry vs. canned? I only feed my cat canned food, for health reasons, but I hadn't really thought about it for dogs. Is it best to feed both?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts