Poodle Forum banner

What do you do with your dog when you go on vacation?

• Either take them with or i dont go.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Kennel/board them.

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Hire petsitter.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Have family watch.

Votes: 18 48.6%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I take Riley with if possible. Once a friend and i went to a cabin in the mountains and it was pet friendly, so i brought Riley. If we go to my uncles cabin then i bring him too. If he cant come then he says with someone (i have many friends who would take him). If absolutely no one would take him there is a good kennel i would board him at.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
It depends - If we are going to visit family we will likely take them. We have in the past. I have not been on a GOOD vacation in some time. BUT if I were to go to an island or something around that, it would be me and him, ONLY. We really need it lol.......so the dogs would stay with family OR my family would come stay at my home.

Oops I didn't see it was a poll so I answered family, but really that would vary.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I can't really answer the poll cos all of them apply except the pet sitter one and I can only choose one!
I DO get someone to come in and feed the cats and rats if we're away for a few days (or cats go into a cattery if it's more than that) but not the dogs. If we're going away, the dogs come too most of the time, or stay with family. On the very rare occasion can be kenneled. I could choose the first option, but we certainly don't 'not' go on holiday if we can't take the dogs, we send them to family if we can't take them!

·
Registered
109 Posts
For vacations we usually board them. When they were pups they stayed with a relative, but when they got a dog they stopped watching ours. When we are going to see my Dad (8 hours away) we usually take them with us, he has 4 dogs and loves dogs so he feels the more the merrier. We did take them on one vacation to the Mountains and they loved it but it will be awhile before we do another actual vacation with the dogs (though I would love to take them to the beach one day)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We generally take Saffy and Coco when we go away, but if we can't, we just take Saffy.

We usually just get a family friend to come and stay at our house the duration of our holiday, (they're not long ones!), cos we have the 4 cats as well.
Ppl generally don't mind cos it's such a cool house and there is an awesome view!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have my mom watch Desmond if I'm on vacation, and I call frequently to see how things are going haha. I can't take him on vacations since we usually go to other states and have to fly, and the hotels are not dog-friendly.

Honestly though, for the most part I don't know if I really would want him on vacation with us for a whole week. It'd be really stressful for him, and would be something we would have to worry about all week, which is no fun for vacation. Vacations are family time for us, and so it's like 6 of us going out all day. Adding a dog into the mix would be kind of hectic. I would only take him if we went for a weekend or a few days to stay in the mountains, but otherwise he'd have to stay home.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This is great thread :) !!!!!

I wonder especially what are the options if one has to travel for longer period of time - like 3 -4 weeks :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
593 Posts
hmmmmmm none really apply..most of my vacation time is spent going to agility trials or dog shows..LOL..if I'm going somewhere where the dogs can't go..Flyer (poodle) goes to his breeder, Robbie and Cedar (Cavs) go to their breeder and Riley goes to one of two friends with whom I share dog sitting .. Both Riley and Robbie have medical issues so I prefer that be with someone who knows them and their issues.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine go with, im sure they would be fine if i had to leave them with a friend (i have in the past but that was when mighite was a baby) but i have a bit of separation anxiety (pathetic, right..) especially from migh....
but if i couldn't take them, my parents would watch them, sometimes i wonder if they dont just want to steal them anyways :) (the cat stays home and i have a friend who drops by once a day, or stays at the house if my roommates arnt home)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We have our system worked out quite well... the most recent trip was just a two day trip with one night... the Big Boys went to A's parents' house, TQ stayed with my mom*, and Perry was able to come with us.

*Camp Grandma... I called every few hours. Sue me. Minutes after my call, my mom called me back saying, "Um... so what is the biggest rawhide TQ has swallowed before? Has she ever pooped them out?" TQ swallowed 6 inches of a rawhide roll. Ugh. Ordeal. She was fine, and has had no ill effects. She is also no longer allowed to have rawhide, as she just... enjoys swallowing the whole thing.

In the event I couldn't take Perry, we decided we would board him, as he would be the cheapest to board. My mom owes me like 400 hours of dog sitting for TQ, so I will probably never have to board her, considering I watch her greys all the time. If the Big Boys couldn't be watched by A's parents, my mom could watch TheGrey or he could be boarded... not sure what we would do with ProblemChild as he can't be boarded due to his agression.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Oh, that's an easy answer for me. I take them or I don't go. I had a previous standard poodle whom I had never left for 11 years. The one time we decide to go on a vacation without the dog, we left him with my sister-in-law about 20 miles away. We had been there numerous times as a "family". Well, wouldn't you know, he bolted from their home and was trying to run home (I presume) and was hit/killed by a car.

Needless to say, I don't leave my dogs with anybody.

On the other hand, I board a lot of my clients' standard poodles in my home when they go on holidays. They get the run of the house and have a blast.

·
Registered
681 Posts
We have taken them along, boarded them, had a bonded petsitter come and take care of them before, and have had relatives watch them. Let me tell you, that bonded petsitter was EXPENSIVE. $25/visit at 3 visits a day. She was worth it though, because Midge doesn't like being boarded, and gets sick. When we first moved to NYC, the hotel we stayed at the night before we got our house, we had them stay at my brother's house in Virginia. Which they loved, he has a half an acre fenced in for them to run. They stayed there for a week, and then we drove back down to pick them up again.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Vacation...what is that??? We haven't gone on one of those in years. We are thinking of trying to go camping this summer. But plan on taking the dogs with us.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm with you Trillium....Vacation? What's that? My Husband and I are still trying to get a honeymoon!! lol Between owning a business and not wanting to leave Grace....it is only likely to happen when we get another dog! Our only mini vacation was when we drove to Canada to get Grace! I am hopeful that another dog is on the horizon for 2010 to include a nice road trip!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Our dogs have always either come with us (if it's a road trip) or stayed with family/ friends. Nowadays, I am the main dog sitter for my parents, and they will be the main dog sitter for me.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Last year we were gone for about 5 days and had my brother-in-law come by a few times a day to water, feed, and take Harry out.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I always have family watch my dogs and a very close friend watch my horse. I really really really hate leaving them because IMHO no one and i mean no one takes care of my dogs like it do. I knwo they mean well but they are all special in their own way and have certain habits. Its just stressful when i leave and depend on others to watch my "kids". Its easier for me to just not go one a vacation. If its camping or a mini road trip then they come with (Mister especially because he loves car rides and is super attached to his mommy).
If its a place where i have to take a plane then no one goes unfortunately. Im thinking about the next time i leave to have them boarded but then again my older ones are properly vaccinated because i dont vaccinate them anymore (i feel its too harmful and they dont need it at their age).
The horse is pretty easy. I trust my friend who watches her with Felis's life. She knows a heck of a lot about horses and know what colic looks like and take impecable care of her horse and that transfers to mine when she watches her which i LOVE. I usually just trade chores with her and we never exchange money which is nice. A real true friend, i love her.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh wow - this is troubling now LOL

I hoped to get some ideas of what is the best way to arrange for a dog when one goes for a longer vacation LOL I never imagined people actually not taking vacation at all :wacko: That is out of question for us :scared: Not only we go on a vacation often - sometimes we have to go overseas to take care of some matters , like it or not : (.

Hmmm... I better start looking for what is locally available as an option O-O !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts