Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moose does a few things that I think are common with most poodles / puppies.

He likes to go through the trash, and he likes to eat toilet paper / paper towels adn sometimes the occasional tiny sock.

Other then telling him to "LEAVE IT" what should I do? HE KNOWS he is not supposed to do any of the above, if he sees me coming he tucks his tail and sits in his 'spot' wiht his ears folded back in the 'im sorry im sorry' look.

Anything else I should do?
-Todd

·
Registered
75 Posts
My method of training... avoid it if you can. :) Put the garbage in another room, keep EVERYTHING up where they can't reach it. I used to keep my shoes up on the dresser. Donner was great for getting into the butter and earned the name "Butter Dog". :mad: The good part is they will all out grow most of this pesky behaviour.

(Molly has the name "Dig Dog" right now....:eek:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
We have to keep the bathroom trash in the tub or Cher will get into it. I'm lucky that my dogs will stay out of the kitchen trash but I agree with avoid it if you can. I keep anything out of reach I do not want them to get into regardless if they ever have. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Spray everything around the trash with Bitter Apple.
Sergio loves bathroom tissue and paper. but I just put everything in covered trash containers and if they get into anything... I use "off" and he will drop it.
I think they are all that way. but, you have to love them anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bauer doesn't roam the house, he is only allowed to follow me around and when I'm not home he is in his crate. (I am a stay at home mom so I only go out for a couple hours here and there) He doesn't get into a lot of stuff because he is pretty much watched 24/7. He has a dog run in the back yard with a dog house, the rest is concrete stones or deck but when I let him out into the yard to run around he does dig sometimes if I go back in the house. Usually I don't catch him red-handed so there is really no point in discipline.

Around the house he is really good - every now and then my daughter will walk around him with her food and I always keep a watchful eye to see if he'll steal a bite... I've only seen him eat a cracker off the floor after my daughter walked away. (And he got a big, loud "Bauer, NO!") She even offers him food sometimes but I think he knows I'm always watching so he'll just lay his head down and pout. ha! I try not to tell him he's a bad dog because 98% of the time he is a really good dog, and my daughter copies everything I say so I would rather she didn't run around telling him he's a bad dog!

He does tend to bark a LOT outside, so the first time he gets a "Bauer, Quiet! No Barking" then after that he gets a meaner, firmer "Quiet" and if he continues he has to come in the house and sit down on the mat. I guess it's kind of like a timeout! If he barks from inside the house (which is rare) he gets his warnings then gets sent "to bed" and has to lay in his crate. The crate is in the kitchen by the back door so I'll usually just leave the door open and he'll sneak out after a few minutes which is fine as long as he is done with the barking!

...boy, after reading that I am seeing some real similarities between the way I treat him and the way I treat my child! LOL... I don't usually make her go to the crate though... :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts