Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

My poor spoo is wondering how you groom the ear hair on the underside of the ear in a way that is not tickley.

He had quite a short cut all over earlier in the summer that has been growing back. A few weeks ago he was twitching his ears a lot, and I took him to the vet as I thought maybe there was a low grade infection. Nope (thankfully) his ears are healthy, the vet suggested that maybe a curl of hair was maybe growing in a way where the ends were poking into the skin and tickling him.

I trimmed back the obvious offenders which has helped a bit, but he’s still a bit twitchy.

He does not have particularly hairy ear canals, the hair I’m thinking about here is growing on the underside of the ear flap, and near the entrance to the ear (tragus area).

Should I clip it short so there’s no interference and airflow can be maintained, knowing it’ll get more irritating the longer it gets? Should I let it grow until it’s not pokey?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
I keep the hair growing out of the canal clipped short with scissors. My dog doesn't have much hair inside her ear so I don't pluck.

When I shave her face (usually do it every other week) I also shave the tragus area.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I looked at Raffi's ear to confirm, and he doesn't have any hair growing on the flap (pinna) so close to his head that it would tickle the opening. At least in the central area, which is where it lies over the opening. Most dogs that I see are the same.
Could it be the hair under/around his ears is tickling his ear flaps (so the opposite of what you were looking at)?

·
Super Moderator
7,801 Posts
I think cutting that hair short might actually increase any irritation he's feeling, as it would get kind of "stabby." Left alone, it's generally quite silky, isn't it?

Is it possible Ben has allergies? A lot of dogs and humans are suffering from seasonal allergies right now, which can cause itchy or tickly ears.

The other thing I'd want to rule out is noise sensitivity.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

I clipped everything on one side and brushed out what was left. And just brushed out the other side. We will see if there is a difference. Good thing it grows back!

I do keep his face trimmed, but haven’t been tending to the face under his ear as often so hopefully this will help me figure out what works for him. I really appreciate the help.

Peggy - I don’t think it’s noise, I notice it most when it’s just the two of us and everything is quiet. It’s almost like it’s such a subtle irritant that he only notices when it’s calm. There’s no twitchyness on walks, when we play, when everyone’s around etc. It’s the tiniest little motion, 1 second, no shaking or scratching with a foot. My husband had no idea he was doing it until I pointed it out.

He definitely has some sensitivities to things. He came to us very very itchy all over and with yeasty feet. A food change and regular grooming has helped significantly, skin is good and feet are better but not 100% so there’s still something that’s bothering him. We have a busy household and he definitely eats lots floor “snacks” (or a piece of chicken right off a plate the other day) so it’s hard for me to nail down what’s stop bugging him, is it something he’s eating off the floor, something else in his food that’s not ideal, environmental, is his system still adjusting etc. I’m hoping the upcoming snow season will help eliminate some potential allergens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts