Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about other people but I have had ongoing ear infections with Dodger ever since I got her and she had them even before that according to breeder I got her from. She gets her ears cleaned and hair pulled weekly. She does swim a lot when it's warm but I have a solution made up of water/vinegar and some alcohol and I spray it around the outside of the ear canal before and after swimming.

With Vega..never one infection, not once, not even slight irritation. His ears are always perfect but poor Dodger..

She also has allergies but I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. I've tried several things. I have Zymox on hand for if it gets really bad and that's what im using currently I also have some antibiotics the vet gave me last time she had an infection but what do you guys do to prevent them?

I feel awful working in grooming for as long as I have and having a dog get ear infections.. i'm not sure what to do differently.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would say it is corn wheat or chicken. Try a different protien food and you might be rid of them.

I also heard instead of plucking just use scissors and clip the hair perhaps some of the hair holds out the bacteria

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I would also try switching foods or eliminating the grains. See if that helps. I dont pluck Rileys ears anymore. We had problems with infections after the groomer got water in his ears and he got a middle ear infection. Since then they were on and off. Whenever i plucked them i noticed it would bring on an infections also. We have been pluck free for a couple years, and have only had 1 infection since! Works well for us!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy had a yeast infection in both ears about a month ago. I put the drops the vet gave me in his ears for a little over a week until he decided he wanted nothing to do with it. I couldn't hold him still, hold his ear back and squeeze the drops in without simply squirting it all over his head and my hand. But I figured he was near the end of the course anyway, so I didn't push the issue.

He's now shaking his head again and although I haven't seen the gross black stuff the vet got out of his ears, I suspect the infection is back.

Any tips for getting the drops in his ears, other than having someone help me hold him still? That isn't always an option for me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my Noir. My vet said I had to also treat another one of my dogs that was scratching at his ears. I had to go through 2 rounds of antibiotics with both of them... I had my husband to help the 1st go round, then they finally settled down. I know they don't like it when you are putting the drops in their ears, but if you don't get rid of the infection, it could turn into something else. Also, I was afraid that mine would scratch so much that they could get a staff infection. Since the last treatment, everyone is happy now!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
A couple ways to hold small dogs by yourself for ear treatments. One is to kneel on the floor and put their butt in your leg V. That way they cant back out. Kind of hoover over them so they cant go forward either.
Another way is to put them on a table and stick them in your armpit. Hold your arm close so they cant back out. Smearing some peanut butter or squeeze cheese on a table works well for some dogs too. While they are licking, put the drops in.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think looking into the diet is a good idea. I'm not anti-ear plucking, but do you think that could be causing problems? I think some dogs may just have sensitive ears and plucking aggravates them. At least that's the argument put forth by those that don't pluck. I know when I get waxed, I break out. (It's worth it though.) I know one member of groomertalk uses Nair. I can't say I would try it, but you could look her up if your interested (Particentral).

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I haaaate ear infections >( I had one get so severe that it was ultimately the cause of my cats death after the bacteria got into his blood stream. Needless to say, we didn't get rid of it in time, so I don't have any real useful advice for you.

What you could try to do to get more air to it is to flip her ears up when she sleeps to get more air into the canal so the moisture isn't there festering.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I feel for you Aiden, we've had issues on and off since the summer. Been on meds twice. I clean with applecider vin. and witch hazel now and it seems to be helping. We are going on a month now problem free which is a first. I clean weekly or whenever I do a fft and/or a bath. I pluck monthly in Saleen's case. Jazz every two or three months since she doesn't really grow much hair in her ears. I had considered food allergies but the problem didn't really start until Saleen arrived and then became reccuring over the summer. This last time all four dogs had active yeast infections, I figured out the cause was from me cleaning them. The ear cleaner I normaly used at my former place had been replaced (to save $$$) with plain water. Said they were mixing up a recipe of their own but uhhhh sorry I smelled and then even tasted the stuff, it was water nothing more. Since it had always been purchased by the gallon and put into smaller unlabled bottles I didn't notice right away. I shudder to think how many other dogs might have gotten ear issues in the last month I was there. It even scarier to think how many are getting them now that I am gone.

Not that you shouldn't looking into diet related causes and probably see a vet for the current infection but I found a wealth of info for a homemade type ear cleaner that apparently people have great sucess with in cockers? It was on several cocker spaniel websites that I found it first. I'll see if I still have the link and PM it to you. They claimed it could clear an active infection, which may or may not be true, but it does seem to help keep ears infection free more so than the pro groom stuff I used... I think thats the brand name?? I use the other stuff on client dogs, the homemade stuff on my dogs.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The BLUE power wash link was posted earlier is amazing stuff but does stain everything purple.
Works on hotspots as well as ears. I used it many times with the mastiff now knowing it was probably food issues.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks! Yeah, I read that article about the blue powder and im going to go up to the pharmacy today. I believe i'll be able to find the first two ingredients the alcohol and boric acid powder but i've never heard of the third. I'll look though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It sounds like its food allergies, stop all the stuff your giving her and get her on a grain free food immediately (that or raw might bebetter). You should start to notice a difference after a week or so of being on a grain free food.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My dogs eat taste of the wild, they're all on grain-free food. In fact it's the ONLY food my German Shepherd can eat or she loses her hair.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Does your dog have inner ear infection or outer ear ??? It might be completely different approach for different kind of infections.

I am not an expert in dog ear infection matters , but my best guess is that your dog gets water trapped inside the ear after the swim - and basically gets "swimmers ear" infection !

You might make sure that his ears are completely dried as soon as he comes out of the water or after the bath. First use nice big towel and soak all water out of his head and ears. Than use another smaller to dry inside of the ear. Make him shake his head couple of times (if you start tickling inside of the ear he will inevitably shake his head LOL0 and that may cause extra water from the inside of the canal go up the surface.

I would also use than a hair-dryer to dry his ears completely and you can use small clip and keep both ears on top of the head for a while so both canals get good circulation.

It all might sound like a lot of work - but anything is better than having dog on antibiotics often. His immunity gets down and than yeasts flourish : (.

Best of luck !

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm then it might be an allergy to a certain protein.... maybe try switching that up and slowly introduce other things so you know what makes her ears inflammed.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found everything for the blue power solution..warming some up now and going to try it tonight. Wish us luck!

I e-mailed the breeder and she had been having problems with this dog as well as far as ear infections go and she fed a completely different kind of food. Chicken Soup I believe. She got this dog from another breeder hoping to use her for her breeding program but there were problems with the akc paperwork or something so she went to a pet home instead but since she has had the dog she's always had problem-ears.

I think she just might be unlucky, even when her ears are not inflamed Jennifer said her ears are always sensitive and that seems to be true. I might have the vet look for some underlying condition next time we go for a checkup, perhaps allergy related or even thyroid, it's worth having it checked out.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Try the ear stuf change the food to something based with meat and perhaps rice I feed evangers and have had really no ear infections We bought a very expensive dog that had ear problems bad when they got here .. But now nothing sooo I would try the food route and use this blue stuff for a while just to see. You really cant get a good reading a true reading on thyroid until after 2 . While they are growing so are the hormones .. So go slow with that. The immune system is not done growing either How old is your girl ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts