Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering what everyone either currently or plans to compete in with their dog. I find performance events so fun!

I'm planning to compete in obedience and agility with my future dog. I have never trained for competitive obedience but did agility with my PWD in high school. Luckily I have a fantastic obedience school within walking distance of my place, so hopefully my future pup and I can have fun with some dog sports. The only thing is I might have to fight my mom to compete in agility - she wants to see how it is to run a smaller dog and might take over! :wink:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
We do french ring and confirmation with our dobes. And we are planning on getting a minipoo for confirmation next year.
I've done some agility with Ponki, and hopefully our new addition will go that route as well. Small dogs can do really well in agility, and it's lots of fun!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As I've mentioned before, I really want to try obedience with Rogan. The place where we've just finished puppy classes is awesome and she gives deals... the more classes you do the more you save! I think once you've done 3 classes the 4th one is free!!

It does add up though, does anyone else think so? Puppy kindgergarten was $100 for 6 weeks. If one continually did classes we're looking at like $600 per year! That's more then I pay for my gym membership! I knew it would be expensive, but... :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does add up though, does anyone else think so? Puppy kindgergarten was $100 for 6 weeks. If one continually did classes we're looking at like $600 per year! That's more then I pay for my gym membership! I knew it would be expensive, but... :eek:hwell:
Totally agreed! I think to be successful in obedience (and not spend all your money) you have to do a lot of training at home on your own. Get the basics down with puppy classs/ family dog/ one competitive obedience class then practice, practice, practice! You might also be able to find an obedience club near you. Often they will have informal events where you pay a minimal fee to use a practice space. Sometimes you'll learn the best tips from other competitors (once you have the basics down) rather than formal trainers. :)

My mom only casually competes in obedience, but she does most of the work with our PWD on her own. Then a couple of weeks before a trial she'll book a private lesson wth a trainer to go over her form etc and any last minute tips.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well for Enzo we want to try , agility, dock diving , and hunt test.

I will start talking to the recreational park by my aunts house. It looks like a forest hehe they do have a lake but I would not let him swim in it since it is man made and not natural.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
We do french ring and confirmation with our dobes. And we are planning on getting a minipoo for confirmation next year.
I've done some agility with Ponki, and hopefully our new addition will go that route as well. Small dogs can do really well in agility, and it's lots of fun!
French ring sport WOW what type of Dobies do you have american or german bred? or something else ? :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I've never heard of french ring sport, yay something new to look up.

I do anything and everything I can with whatever dog I happen to have at the time. I tend to focus more on Conformation and Obedience/Rally at the moment. Just training now no events planned for the near future since I'm taking (another) year off from from competing... maybe LoL. I'm told I'm taking a year off, and I halfway agreed but not totaly sold on the idea.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
http://coldcreekshepherds.com/
This is where I take Rogan for training... they are really good, at least I thinking they are, and I really don't know much yet!!

If anyone is looking for a GSD you might want to check these guy out!

She teaches everything from Obedience, to Agility to Rally to Canine Good Neighbor and more... they're big into Schutzhund too! It's pretty impressive IMO :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've never heard of french ring sport, yay something new to look up.

I do anything and everything I can with whatever dog I happen to have at the time. I tend to focus more on Conformation and Obedience/Rally at the moment. Just training now no events planned for the near future since I'm taking (another) year off from from competing... maybe LoL. I'm told I'm taking a year off, and I halfway agreed but not totaly sold on the idea.
French ring is similar to Schutzhund, except there is a few differences, one being there's no tracking involved and the decoy wears a full body suit instead of a section and the dog can bite anywhere as oppose to just the sleeve or leg.

It's an awesome sport... here's a great site for info:
http://www.ringsport.org/

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm hoping Duncan will do well in flyball & agility :)
Flyball is SO FUN! We did it with our first PWD - he kept attacking dogs and so my mom tried out a ton of different sports to try and cool his jets and keep him busy. Then she threw her back out and I had to step in (I was about 14). I ran our PWD and a super fast border collie. Ahh, memories. We got out of it when our team got too fast for us and we spent most of our time on the sidelines. PWDs are not really built for great speed. :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Flyball is SO FUN! We did it with our first PWD - he kept attacking dogs and so my mom tried out a ton of different sports to try and cool his jets and keep him busy. Then she threw her back out and I had to step in (I was about 14). I ran our PWD and a super fast border collie. Ahh, memories. We got out of it when our team got too fast for us and we spent most of our time on the sidelines. PWDs are not really built for great speed. :)
Oh, it is fun! I've never done it, but I love watching it. Whippets are really great at doing flyball.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Flyball I haven't tried yet, it doesn't seem like anyone around here is doing it, at least nobody I can find. I would love to try it, I bet Saleen would like it... well maybe. She's kind of going through an airhead stage I guess :p

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well for Enzo we want to try , agility, dock diving , and hunt test.

I will start talking to the recreational park by my aunts house. It looks like a forest hehe they do have a lake but I would not let him swim in it since it is man made and not natural.
Roxy, why won't you let Enzo swim in a man made lake? We do water training on a man made pond and haven't had any problems. In fact our guys have been in just about every water imaginable and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. We just wash them straight away aferwards if we think the water looks suspect. :)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Roxy, why won't you let Enzo swim in a man made lake? We do water training on a man made pond and haven't had any problems. In fact our guys have been in just about every water imaginable and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. We just wash them straight away aferwards if we think the water looks suspect. :)
Because its not allowed lol , there are no man made lakes in Los Angeles in where they let people or animals get in them. the reason is fishing and some are just nasty and dirty

There is a dam in the valley where its man made and you can let dogs swim but after my bf said how they need to treat it every so often.

here are pictures of the park

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I see, haha, that is a bummer. The biggest challenge of training a dog in water sports is actually getting access to good water.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Yeah its hard that was the kenneth hann park I will try some on land retrieving.

here is Hansen Dam this one you can let dogs go in :D

1 - 20 of 46 Posts