Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think I'm going to feed Orijen... love to know if anyone else is using it. It's a higher protein food and supposed to be better for them :) http://www.orijen.cz/orijen/about/
I feed Ponki raw food.
And we have our Dobes on Orijen. It's suppose to be a very good brand of dog food and was rated with 6 stars on dogfoodanalysis.com.

I would however not recommend feeding a high protein diet to dogs with known liver or kidney problems.

·
Registered
861 Posts
1/2 Natural Balance grain-free and 1/2 raw green tripe. The breeder fed her dogs all raw green tripe but due to cost and frankly ick-factor (LOL) we're doing 1/2 and 1/2.

ETA: She is a standard. The breeder said her dogs had trouble with grains then I ran into a friend who also has standards and mentioned hers couldn't tolerate grains either. So we are sticking with the grain-free.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would be very interested to see what everyone feeds their babies...especially standard poodles since that is what i own.

What would be the best product for a spoo puppy in your opinion? And can you buy it at Pet Smart or do you have to order it or get it from a smaller pet boutique type place or your vet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I rotate food, they like trying different things and none of my dogs are picky eaters and Cash eats more than Mika orLoki does! He's such a little Gobber!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
My mini poodle will be fed about 80% raw, as my mom feeds her PWDs raw and will include some frozen packets for my guy when she prepares theirs. We always have kibble on hand in case we forget to defrost some meat or someone is dog sitting, and have fed just about every high quality food.

We most recently have been feeding Taste of the Wild, but we tend to switch it up every time. Most important for us is low grain and no white potatoes. Most kibble manufacturers use a lot of fillers in their food, and you'll notice that white potatoes are often one of the top ingredients.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Do you do it yourself with raw meats from a butcher or?
My mom has been doing it herself for about 5 years now. She's always on the hunt for discounted meat and gets it from butchers, the grocery store, wherever. She feeds a meat and veg mixture as well as raw chicken wings and bones occasionally. It all started when our 2 PWDs were diagnosed (and died) from cancer. We wanted to give them the best possible nutrition we could. We also now do limited vaccines.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Cdnjennga - do you grind bones or feed them whole?
To be honest, I'm not so great on the exact details of the raw feeding process! I tend to just pull the frozen packets out of the freezer and give it to them. But I'm pretty sure my mom gives Chicken wings including bones whole. She's on a Raw Food listserve through Yahoo and learned a lot about the process there.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Riley has been fed raw for about 6 years now, prey model. The bigger pieces the better, no veggies, no supplements (besides fish oil), no grains (well, in the food, doesnt count treats, pancakes, etc :D). I look for good deals from the grocery store, and also have a butcher that i order cases from. I try to give a variety of meat sources, but doesnt always happen. Our staples are chicken, turkey, pork and beef.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I always imagined raw would be a lot more expensive than commercial kibble. Is this true?
It is more expensive, but it depends on what kind of raw you are feeding. I don't follow the barf model, and for me it comes out the same. I never feed just kibble, but have to add my own cooked food (none of my three will touch canned or dry kibble). So for me it comes out the same. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts