Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im thinking about adopting a poodle, heres the link to his adoption page and some pics of him:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=12973082

what do you think about him? i know i shouldn't because i already have two dogs with health problems. my 4 yr old poodle, chester, is very prone to kidney stones, has already had 3 surgeries, and is on a special raw meat diet. my other 1 yr old yorkie, brooklyn, has serious liver problems, that we won't find out what they are untill next week, after her ultrasound. so far they are saying its either liver shunts, or liver failure. but anyway he needs a home, and ive fallen in love with him. just wondering what everyone thinks about him and if its smart that i adopt him, knowing that my other dogs need my attention.

·
Registered
843 Posts
He sure is adorable.
As far as adopting him...like it says in the ad...think wisely before adopting.
Only you know,how much time and energy you can dedicate to another puppy.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I second what spoofan said. I know when I rescued Teddy that I never knew what the vet bills were going to be and I really can't afford him but I am struggling by. It seems you have your hands full but I can also understand that you would like a healthy dog too - but jsut make sure he i s healthy. good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awww..he sure is a little cutie. I am so glad that the ad mentioned all the fininical aspects of owning a dog. There seem to be so many that want purebreds, just for the sake of having a purebred, but once they have the new pup..find out they cant afford everything else that goes along with the responsibilities of dog ownership, and the dog either goes back to the hs or on to another family, and becomes just "another dog". My skin just boils when I see all these ads from people looking for a new home for there furkid, because of a move..geezee...would they look for a new home for there human kids because of a move?? I know this got off topic here. SORRY.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Awww..he sure is a little cutie. I am so glad that the ad mentioned all the fininical aspects of owning a dog. There seem to be so many that want purebreds, just for the sake of having a purebred, but once they have the new pup..find out they cant afford everything else that goes along with the responsibilities of dog ownership, and the dog either goes back to the hs or on to another family, and becomes just "another dog". My skin just boils when I see all these ads from people looking for a new home for there furkid, because of a move..geezee...would they look for a new home for there human kids because of a move?? I know this got off topic here. SORRY.
Maybe off topic,but so very true.
I too cannot comprehend how easily some people dispose of their pet.
Not all of mine were perfect,but they were mine.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have immediate reservations about this pup, why buy a dog that is shy from the word go? There are numerous posts on here about the difficulty of shy poodles, they are not meant to be this way, they are bred to be outgoing and quite extroverted.

I know it is good to rescue **donning flame suit** but sometimes they are in rescue for a reason and I wouldn't purchase someone elses problem even if it means saving a life.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
*fires up flame thrower for BlueFox*
LoL just kidding.

Thats true that a lot of dogs in rescue are there for a behavior related reason but most of the time that reason has more to do with the person who had the dog origionaly. Most of the time those dogs can be turned around and it really isn't their fault that they weren't lucky enough to get good homes the first time. Thankyou backyard breeders :(

·
Registered
912 Posts
LOL @ Wonderpup. I'm sure many, probably even most, can be turned around if the new owner has the right experience or is willing to learn or perhaps even get in a behaviourist BUT why set yourself up for possible failure when you can buy a pup from a registered breeder or even an older retired show dog if you don't want the puppy hassles and save yourself the heartache?

I am a bit selfish in this regard I think. We have had pound puppies in the past until I got on the purebred bandwagon LOL and most of them continued to have behavioural problems, just barely kept in check, even though we had the best of intentions for their rehabilitation and in later years the experience to make a difference to these dogs as well.

I dunno I would just rather have a well bred pup from an experienced breeder that has the very best start to life, physically and mentally.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I can understand that Blue, the very reasons you stated stopped us from adopting a lovely red spoo reccently. Hubby was in favor of adoption because he wanted an adult dog, no puppy hassles. When he realized just how lucky we had been with Jazz's temperment and personality he's decided a puppy is the way to go. I personaly am still on the fence though we have the oppertunity to get a puppy in the near future. I feel bad all the same for passing on the rescue. I know I could turn her around and make her life a happy one. Hubby is worried for the safety of our other "children" though. He feels like with an older dog who has the issues that this one has the possibility for injury to our smaller animals (or for that matter him) was to real. So a puppy it is, who can be taught how to behave around cats, and rats, and guine pigs and any other animals we can think of at a very early age.
Still though, if it were soley up to me and I had no worries about my smaller dogs I would jump through hoops and bend over backwards to give a rescue a better life. It's certainly paid off with Jazz.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, Flame away this is MY opinion....but I do believe ever animals should have a second chance at life. I do alot of rescue with large animals (horses and donkeys) I have had some with horrible behavior problems. The majority of the time it is NOT the animals fault but the original owner or the breeder not correcting any problems right in the start. With work , knowledge, and alot of patience MOST problems can be corrected. I too have had alot of rescue dogs in the past, all with problems. I also had one Great Dane, not one of our homebreds..but someone that knew we had danes..Thor was a sweetheart..until I corrected him once too often and he attacked to kill me..found out a few days afterwards this dog had attacked before, and should of been euthanisied, a large breed aggressive dog is not one to play around with. This particular dog never got corrected..they were afraid of him! So called me, never bothering to mention he had attacked. I was just lucky my hubby was home and seen him. Believe me I am no small person and he was wipping me around like a wet washcloth. This dog was not a shelter dog, but started out as pick of the litter, thru a well respected breeder of danes. So, I am trying to say, it isnt just shelter dogs who can be problems. For a long time..a local human society would call me with any large breed dogs who were ready to be euthanisied, offering them to me to give them a last chance at life. I usually took the dogs and found homes with owners who knew the breed (S) and would be knowledegable if a problem did happen, usually it was just a older dog, and no one seemed to want to adopt the older fellows, the majorty of them went on to be loyal companions, for the rest of there years. Thanks to so many backyard breeders/puppy mills...dogs have become throwaway objects. Thru no fault of there own. I am not saying everyone is capable of handling alot of the aggressive type behaviors some breeds have and are found in HS, but for every bad dog in the human society there is probably another 10 that will be good. IMO, it takes a special person to give a home to a unwanted shelter dog. I know ASPCA just did a raid in Penn, and took in around 250 dogs, most were purebreds, including poodles.. I say kudos to those who have stepped up and offered a loving home, where they will work with these dogs. I am also finding alot of people would rather adopt, and give that second chance at life..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey, thanks for everyones opinion, they helped. i am going to adopt pierre because he is a puppy and im sure any problems he has can be corrected. i put in an adoption application and tomorrow we will know if we were accepted.

let me tell you this application was crazy (in a good way). she asked for our vet and groomers numbers, so she can contact them and see if we actually take care of our pets. she wanted pictures of our dogs, inside, and outside of our house. she even wanted to know who lives in the house and what they do for a living! how often our dogs were left home alone, and soo many more.

well hopefully she'll accept my application, so i can have him by sunday.
im sooooo anxious. :nailbiting:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts