Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always thought they were a gps tracker or something... but this lady who's cat is microchipped has been lost for well over a month, I thought that chip was supposed to help her find the cat ._.

Or is she just stupid?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I had always thought they were a gps tracker or something... but this lady who's cat is microchipped has been lost for well over a month, I thought that chip was supposed to help her find the cat ._.

Or is she just stupid?
She is not stupid.

The microchip is good IF they animal is turned in to an animal shelter or rescue that have the universal scanning device that identifys the number in the MC. Animal control also has these. BUT the problem is if they found by someone that has no ontention of turning them in, it's useless really.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Like Olie said, microchips just contain the information you would put on your dog's tag. The one problem with microchips is that people forget to keep their information updated... so when an animal shelter gets the animal the information is outdated and that doesn't help anyone.
The other problem is that most vets and a lot of shelters never do a scan to see whether the animal is microchipped... this means that very few stolen or lost pets ever make it home.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
When someone scans the chip, a number will pop up. You can generally tell by the set up of the number whos chip it is (avid, homeagain, etc). You call that company and give them the number, and they will give you the contact information.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks for informing me, I thougth it was a GPS thing. I actually saw the cat on the way to school.. I tried to catch him...
How do you catch a cat.. I couldnt bribe him over with food and he ran when I approached him.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Of Chips, GPS, Mind Control and Black Helicopters . . .

Keep in mind the following:

• Most ( maybe all ) animal shelters will add 7 extra days to the animals life (if its a kill shelter) if the dog/cat has a chip.
  • All chip organizations (that I'm aware of, things might of changed) have the ability to have alternate contacts (your sister, parents, in-laws, co-owners and etc) for that chipped animal.
  • In Texas, and in many other states I'm assuming, a show animal is considered live stock and it is a mandatory jail felony if you are discovered to have one on your person w/out the owners permission. (cattle rustling and all that!). That is why each dog/cat should enter at least one show (conformation, obedience, hunting, etc - it doesn't matter) that way your dog/cats theft is considered a felony. If they are caught - they go to jail! The chip on the dog is positive ID, there is no way a thief can wiggle out of it!
Mark

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I would just call her owner, most adult cats won't approach a stanger, especially if they're stressed. Out of my four, OP would go up to anyone, Booger has to get used to you and if I didn't have pics, no one would believe I had the girls. They dissapear when anyone's at the house. It was nice of you to try. I hope she gets her cat back; I've been there twice and it's devastating.

The only GPS locators I know of for pets, are dog tags. I suppose you could put one on a cat, but they're big and could get caught on something.

You have to be careful about which chip company you choose too. There have been cases where people have easily switched the info over and the original owner can't get the pet back. Make sure there's some kind of security code or password to change any info.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would just call her owner, most adult cats won't approach a stanger, especially if they're stressed. Out of my four, OP would go up to anyone, Booger has to get used to you and if I didn't have pics, no one would believe I had the girls. They dissapear when anyone's at the house. It was nice of you to try. I hope she gets her cat back; I've been there twice and it's devastating.

The only GPS locators I know of for pets, are dog tags. I suppose you could put one on a cat, but they're big and could get caught on something.

You have to be careful about which chip company you choose too. There have been cases where people have easily switched the info over and the original owner can't get the pet back. Make sure there's some kind of security code or password to change any info.
^ Spot on advice all around.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Keep in mind the following:

[*]In Texas, and in many other states I'm assuming, a show animal is considered live stock and it is a mandatory jail felony if you are discovered to have one on your person w/out the owners permission. (cattle rustling and all that!). That is why each dog/cat should enter at least one show (conformation, obedience, hunting, etc - it doesn't matter) that way your dog/cats theft is considered a felony. If they are caught - they go to jail! The chip on the dog is positive ID, there is no way a thief can wiggle out of it!
[/LIST]

Mark
Actually all dogs are considered personal property, regardless of whether you show them or not. So if someone steals your dog, charges will be made the same as if someone stole your property. I don't think showing your animal in anything has anything to do with the charges being made.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Also be sure the chip can be read by universal scanners. All avid and home again chips can be read by most scanners. A local pet store here has switched brands of chips (i dont know what to) and our avid universal scanner cant read them. They are useless unless you have That particular scanner. Pretty dumb to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Property and such . . .

Actually all dogs are considered personal property, regardless of whether you show them or not. So if someone steals your dog, charges will be made the same as if someone stole your property. I don't think showing your animal in anything has anything to do with the charges being made.
You are correct. In Texas, it is jail felony to steal something with value greater than 1000.00. Breeding stock is always worth more than that for any domesticated animal that I am aware of. Also personal property is not always worth more than a grand. Stealing breeding stock is a felony. Although no guarantee, the only way to reasonably ensure that your dog will be worth more than a perceived value of 1000.00 is to show. Although you can show a receipt that you payed more than 1000.00 to an officer or judge, the current perceived value of an animal is greater if it is one that is shown. It is the current perceived value, not the value paid for, that determines the dogs value. Future value derived from breeding is one way to ensure a higher valuation. Sounds cold and calculating doesn't it? If you can convince a judge/officer that the value is greater than a $1000.00, then the thief goes for a felony - not a misdemeanor. I want that sucker to go to jail on felony - no stinking misdemeanor! I have no idea how it works elsewhere . . .

Mark, Jamie and the Poodle Gangsters . . .

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called them, we searched and searched but couldnt find him. I think hes in the neighborhood across from us now, all the escaped animals always go over there, idk why.

I saw fox get hit by a truck today =[ I am in a ford excursion.. so im one of the biggest things aside from a hummer on the road. So I kinda had some road rage.. and after the guy pulled over I settled down. But there was no excuse for that, sure you are going 70mph but its a empty 3 laned road... and the fox was just exiting the curb.. he coulda easily dodged him.

But anyway on my way back I saw a cat in the culdisac accross from us, i wasnt sure if that was the cat as I only glanced over to see it.

But seeing that fox get hit rrly made me mad..

If someone hit your dog while you were crossing the street/ or your dog excapes. and its the same situation as the fox. Is it possible to sue. Cuz I mean when that guy pulled over I called him all manners of bitches and hos, so what I would do if someone hit my dog.. man... Idk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Even if it's a total accident, you would be the one that could get sued. As long as there's a leash law, you have to keep your dog under your control. Dogs aren't supposed to be in the street and while people should drive defensively, you would be responsible for any damages to your dog and their car.

I think you should cut the guy some slack for hitting the fox, many people wouldn't pull over. I hit a jack rabbit once and was devastated. I pulled over, but there was nothing I could do. I would be crushed if I ever hit a cat or dog. I would be pretty upset w/ the owner too, unless it was a complete fluke that the animal was in the street. This is why I try my very best to keep my cats indoors. (One of them refuses to cooperate and bolts out the door.) If someone hit him, I would be upset w/ myself, not the person that hit him.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But it was a three lane road.. and it was empty.. he could have easily just changed lanes w/o stopping. The guy was my age too.. so he probably did it on purpose.

Okay, what if your dog is on a leash, and you are walking across the street, a guy who isnt paying attention goes to make a right on red almost hitting you and hitting your dog?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
But it was a three lane road.. and it was empty.. he could have easily just changed lanes w/o stopping. The guy was my age too.. so he probably did it on purpose.

Okay, what if your dog is on a leash, and you are walking across the street, a guy who isnt paying attention goes to make a right on red almost hitting you and hitting your dog?
If the dog's on a leash, under your control (according to the law, which usually says 4-6ft) and you aren't being reckless or breaking laws (running into the street w/o looking or jaywalking) then I think the driver would be at fault. Pedestrians have the right of way. If leashed, you're dog would be an extension of you, IMO. Even if the dog is right next to you, if it's not leashed, you are breaking the law and therefore are responsible.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Or is she just stupid?
Oh if they were like a GPS tracker thing it would be much easier to find lost dogs i'm sure :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Last time I took Coco to the vets, she was scanned and apparently her temperature was read from the chip. Has anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Last time I took Coco to the vets, she was scanned and apparently her temperature was read from the chip. Has anyone else heard of this?
No...
I have never heard of this and am 99.9% sure that is not possible.
Unless there is a cutting edge new chip we haven't heard of it...but it seems extremely doubtful.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know for people they are thinking of making chips that say what meds u take, what your blood sugar levels are, temp, all sorts of stuff. But those are only for the elderly or people with mental disorders who cant remember/ communicate to doctors what meds they have taken ect ect not the general public

1 - 20 of 38 Posts