Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a phone date with Bob from Sundance Standard Poodles tomorrow at 3:30. I need some tips on what to ask. I know from their website that they do health testing (hips, SA, PRA, and VonWillebrands), I know they participate in conformation showing, agility, obedience, hunting, retrieving, and their dogs have become guide dogs. They have a lifetime health guarantee. I need to know what else I should be asking. This is my first time picking out a breeder.

Some things I'm curious about:
- Do they temperament test?
- How do they choose what puppy will go to what buyer?
- Do they sell to people in apartments? (which is where I'll be)
- How many litters do they breed a year?

What else should I be asking?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Make the conversation fun, tell them to tell you about their dogs and their dogs temperments as well as the questions you have listed. I think having a conversation going is a nice way to get to know the breeder, and for the breeder to feel comfortable with you as a buyer too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fluffyspoos. That's the way I'm hoping it will go. I don't want it to be some formal Q&A. I like to think I'm a good conversationalist but I know I'll be nervous because I want to make a good impression. From his emails he seems like a nice guy so I think it will be ok!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I was nervous when I first had a conversation with Desertreef, but she's so friendly it's hard to stay nervous for long! I think it'll go great for you! ^^

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ask to SEE health results (if they are not listed on the official OFA site). Ask them to scan results and send attachments. You also forgot the CERF - eye test. Must be done the year breeding took place!

Ask for 5 generation pedigree of both dogs involved in breeding and look them up on the OFA and Poodle Health Registry to check for ancestral health results too.

Ask when they expect a "deposit" and if it is "refundable" if puppy of your liking is not present in a litter.

Ask for how long they give a health warranty (how many years - 2 year is a minimum with good breeders- preferably more !!!!!!!!!).

Ask to see a Sale Contract and see if you like "terms and conditions"

Ask what is their vaccination protocol - should be up to date with so called "minimal inoculation"

Ask what kind of food they feed their dogs (crappy food - crappy breeder IMO)

Ask will they help with a rehoming if you ever need it - even if you think that you would never ever give up your dog ( and nobody can predict a future and unforeseen illness and such)- it is good to know that a breeder will take dog back, no questions asked !!!! It shows that they truly care about their dogs !

Best of luck !!!:)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Ask how do they socialize there pups ?

I see a huge difference in my pups compared to there mom when I got here.
She had only been in a car once to the Vet and never been outside.
It helps a lot if the breeder is able to socialize them well with everything he possible can

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
YES _ actually just came back to "edit" and put that question on !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Winnow for doing it "for me " LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
ask them if they would be happy to look after your puppy if you ever went away for a short period of time?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Awesome questions. Wishpoo I forgot to put CERF in the list of tests. According to their website they do this. They do state on their website that they offer a lifetime health guarantee.

As for food, one place on their website states they feed Kirkland (costco) and another says Nature's Variety. So I'll definitely have to clarify. I don't know much about either. We're in the middle of switching Buddy to TOTW.

Good question about the socialization and taking the pup back. Will definitely have to see Sale Contract.

All great questions. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Ask broad questions about the personalities and health of the dam and sire. Slip them in conversationally once you have broken the ice so to speak. Get the breeder talking and let them keep talking. It will amaze you what comes out in the wash. Some questions:

1. What kind of work do you do with your dogs? What is your dog like when he/she works? What would you change about their working style? (I had one hunting breeder tell me that his stud would bite him when he was really pushed.... uh, no thanks).

2. Do you ever get to take your dogs off leash in public? (Looking here for any indication that the dogs run off or are not good citizens with other dogs.)

3. What are some of your dog's best and worst habits? (The apple never falls far from the tree. A counter surfing dam is more likely to produce counter surfing offspring.)

4. Looking at a 3 generation pedigree, tell me about the temperaments and health issues of the dogs there. (If she only says wonderful things, I would be leery. For example, I can tell you that Delilah's dam's littermate produced Addisons, but that her sire side granddam is still alive at 14 yrs...... looking here for things like Bloat, cancer, food allergies etc)

5. Food allergies are a huge hassle. Try to find out if the dam and sire are good eaters in good weight. Do they have any issue with ear infections etc

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so the convo was good. I asked some of the questions but not all. He sounds very nice, very honest. For a first conversation it was a good getting to know you convo. I'm hoping once I'm home I'll be able to go meet them and their dogs.

He told me they opted not to breed a bitch in her most recent heat cycle because they didn't want to be raising the puppies this summer because of the heat. So he mentioned that they want to breed her next heat cycle which would be about 6 months. If that breed took the timing would put us at about 11 months from now for the puppy to be ready to go home which would be pretty perfect if everything else in my life works out ok (finding a job and an apartment once I move home).

I'm excited! He said he'd keep me posted via email about that litter. Fingers crossed that I can find a job and a place to live (outside my parents' house) once I'm back in Georgia!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P.S. The bitch he mentioned breeding produced this little girl. Same Dad too. Such a cutie and the exact color Buddy was when we brought him home.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
All puppies are cute. This puppy has nice eyes and good pigment, but we can't tell much else. Can we see that puppy grown up to get a better idea of what they produce?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree with Cbrand !!! How about photos of allll pups in that litter :rolffleyes:
and of course adult photos of some, as Cbrand suggested .

PS: we posted at the same time LOL

How other adults look is not relevant for you. I must say I never visited a site, but if they have only Ch dogs on - you should be aware that those are the "cherry picked" dogs and maybe not all bread by him personally. You will get a pet-quality puppy so you want to see how his pet-quality puppies and dogs look like ; )

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Feel free to look at their website. The Dad is named George (I believe that's what he said) and there are some pics of him. He didn't tell me Mom's name and I didn't think to ask, he just told me that the puppy "Sookie" on their website was from a litter of theirs. He said Mom's a silver. I asked about their personalities and he told me about them. I know George's name cause he said "George is my wife's dog. He waits by the door for her to get home and sleeps with us at night."

Like I said, it was a good first conversation. I won't be sure they're the ones for me until I meet them and their dogs. I'm satisfied for now though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh another thing he said when I asked about their dogs' temperaments was that they don't have any alpha personalities. He said they've "finished" a couple of alphas (females and males) but that they wouldn't have fit in their breeding program or their home so they adopted them out.

What does "finished" mean? Is that with showing? Sorry, I'm new to a lot of the more advanced dog ownership stuff. We bought Buddy blindly and got lucky he's as healthy and sweet as he is. I don't want to take that chance again (although we didn't know we were taking a chance at the time, we just weren't educated in choosing a good breeder).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with Cbrand !!! How about photos of allll pups in that litter :rolffleyes:
and of course adult photos of some, as Cbrand suggested .

PS: we posted at the same time LOL

How other adults look is not relevant for you. I must say I never visited a site, but if they have only Ch dogs on - you should be aware that those are the "cherry picked" dogs and maybe not all bread by him personally. You will get a pet-quality puppy so you want to see how his pet-quality puppies and dogs look like ; )
That makes sense to me. Something I'll be doing is asking for references (I have already PM'd with someone here who has a Sundance dog) and getting in touch with some owners to ask some questions and hopefully see some pics.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts